Industry Shakeup: The Quest Group Acquires GoldenEar Technology

full?d=1578433446.png

(January 3, 2020) GoldenEar Technology has been an industry leader in performance and design for nearly ten years. Founded by Sandy Gross, Don Givogue, and Bob Johnston, the brand has relentlessly pursued leadership in the speaker market’s high-end segment, giving enthusiasts access to astounding levels of performance at rather reasonable price points. That leadership has forged an incredible distribution network across North America and an international presence in 35 countries.

In a recent leader to dealers and distributors, GoldenEar’s president, Sandy Gross, outlined a new chapter for the brand’s existence.

“When Don approached me several years ago to let me know that he wanted to retire, he tasked me with the challenge of finding the right business partner with which to join GoldenEar—one who understands who we are, what we do, and how we do it,” said Gross. “The choice was clear: I have known Bill Low for almost 50 years, dating back to my first trip around the country to set up Polk distribution. Back then, Bill had a small high-end audio store in Portland, Oregon, and, as two fanatical audiophiles, we immediately hit it off and have been friends ever since. So, I enthusiastically approached Bill with the concept of bringing GoldenEar into The Quest Group, joining AudioQuest, and here we are today announcing that combination.”

The Quest Group, best known for its AudioQuest brand of cables, Niagara power products, and DragonFly DACs, possesses massive distribution capabilities in Europe and Asia. Those capabilities include “full warehousing and a growing sales-support structure,” both of which should further GoldenEar’s international presence.

GoldenEar, as we know it, will largely stay intact. Sandy Gross will remain a creative force behind the brand’s speakers, and GoldenEar’s hard-charging sales team will continue to guide the company in that department. Additionally, the brand’s engineering team should realize a boost from the recent hire of engineering expert Benjamin Seaman.

According to Gross, GoldenEar won’t necessarily see its distribution channels mirror that of AudioQuest, allowing the brand to continue to pursue appropriately scaled pathways to market.

“At present, about one hundred of GoldenEar’s approximately two hundred North American dealers are also AudioQuest dealers,” explains Gross. “Over time, more AudioQuest dealers might become GoldenEar dealers, though only when and where appropriate. Under no circumstances will GoldenEar become available to all AudioQuest dealers. Of course, AudioQuest is hoping that it might be appropriate for more of the GoldenEar dealer community to become AudioQuest dealers, but there is no mandate for either community to merge with the other.”

Exciting times lie for GoldenEar and its devoted base of audio loving enthusiasts. Stay tuned for the company’s next great creation!

Last edited:

Isaac Sykes

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz 8802A,
Main Amp
CROWN XLR 2502
Additional Amp
EMOTIVA XPR 5
Other Amp
SUNFIRE 7404
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
OPPO 103 , OPPO 105, OPPO 205
Front Speakers
GOLDEN EAR TRITON REFERENCE
Center Channel Speaker
GOLDEN EAR SUPER CENTER XXL
Surround Speakers
GOLDEN EAR INVISA 7000'S
Surround Back Speakers
GOLDEN EAR INVISA 7000'S
Front Height Speakers
GOLDEN EAR INVISA 650'S
Rear Height Speakers
GOLDEN EAR INVISA 650'S
Subwoofers
GOLDEN EAR SUPER SUB X (2)
Other Speakers or Equipment
DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY MYTHOS ST-L, INTEGRA DRC-R1
Video Display Device
EPSON UB6040
Screen
SI BLACK DIAMOND ZERO EDGE 110
Streaming Subscriptions
CARY DMS-500, BLUESOUND VAULT(2)
Wow! I just hope that they maintain the same quality in their products.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Zero concern about that... Sandy Gross is still driving the ship. No way he lets it go in the wrong direction.

Grzywa

More  
Marantz AV8801
Main Amp
Parasound A21
Additional Amp
Cary Audio Design Cinema5
Other Amp
Parasound HCA-1206
Oppo BDP-105D
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Triton One
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar SuperSub XXL
Surround Speakers
GoldenEar Triton Five
Surround Back Speakers
GoldenEar Triton Seven
Subwoofers
Velodyne DD18 Plus
B&W 685, B&W ASW610, Parasound P5, Vincent SP-331
Video Display Device
Philips 65"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Elite
Streaming Subscriptions
Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10, Rega RP3, Sony PS-LX4
I'm not sure about that. He already abandoned two ships before (or forced out, doesn't matter). Might end up same way.

Anyhow way I see it is snake oil company buying real great audio company.

I hope they will not apply Audioquest pricing. If I'll have to pay same price for gram of copper as in Audioquest products it will be end of GoldenEar for me.

Top Bottom