Inconsistent measured volume levels

Dmanstarr

None of that is in anyway relevant to what is on the graphs. And you can’t see the output levels because REW was not outputting anything.

However, the data offset in the info you sent above shows a 3db offset between the two. I did not add any data offset! REW did that in it’s own.

*I suspect that is the problem*

If you look at the third mdat I sent, I bet it will show a data offset that matches the first file I sent, because when I restarted REW, it went back to the matching recorded volume in the graph.
Also, I’m measuring inside a vehicle. I’m doing it the correct way for that application. I’m not hear to learn how to measure.

sm52

Just in case, go to Preferences at the top right of the main screen, set the output and input device, for this device in Windows, disable enhancements in the sound properties. In the same place, turn off all sound devices, except for the two that you use as input and output.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
R mR 2 has a different data offset. Can you look in C:\Users\<your username>\REW for the file rew_output.txt and attach it?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
R mR2 and R mR 3 are using different cal files, one normal and one 90 degree. Were they both measured on the same PC? Do both cal file have the same SENS_FACTOR figure?

Dmanstarr

Also, I’m measuring inside a vehicle. I’m doing it the correct way for that application.
R mR2 and R mR 3 are using different cal files, one normal and one 90 degree. Were they both measured on the same PC? Do both cal file have the same SENS_FACTOR figure?
Same mic, same PC same dedicated cal file specific to the mic serial number.

Cal files being 90 vs normal make a miniscule difference in measurements of the type I’m doing, so little as it literally doesn’t matter when measuring power response at driver’s seat moving mic around head for spatial averaging while using RTA. In the high end, the comb filters due to the vehicle environment are so dense, the slightest head movement changes the measurement drastically. There are no relevant late reflections because a car environment is *not* in essence “a room” as far as our brain is concerned.

I have never manually set a sense factor, but I’m assuming it’s the same since it’s the mics unique cal file.

My measurements are very repeatable with small differences. They never drop across the board by almost exactly 3db, or whatever except when REW does the thing were it adds an offset by itself.

Restarting the program usually fixes this.

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you attach the cal files along with the C:\Users\<your username>\REW\rew_output.txt file?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
This is what I see for the cal file name and sensitivity factor in those measurements:

R mR msr 7014612_90deg.txt 2.0838
R mR 2 7014612_Umik1cal.txt -0.9162
R mR 3 7014612_90deg.txt 2.0838

Dmanstarr

This is what I see for the cal file name and sensitivity factor in those measurements:

R mR msr 7014612_90deg.txt 2.0838
R mR 2 7014612_Umik1cal.txt -0.9162
R mR 3 7014612_90deg.txt 2.0838
Ok, but why are we talking about the cal file at all?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The sensitivity factor tells REW how to convert audio data values from the mic into SPL values. It does not depend on angle, it should always be the same for the same mic. The value in your 7014612_Umik1cal.txt does not match the data for that mic from miniDSP, it has had 3 dB subtracted from it.

Dmanstarr

The sensitivity factor tells REW how to convert audio data values from the mic into SPL values. It does not depend on angle, it should always be the same for the same mic. The value in your 7014612_Umik1cal.txt does not match the data for that mic from miniDSP, it has had 3 dB subtracted from it.
Oh lord, I hope that's the problem. I got both of the files from minidsp, though. By serial number as you can see.

Dmanstarr

Those are the startups for the sessions the three measurements were taken. They all match. I will send the full REW output text also.

Attachments

• REW V5.20.13 startups.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 3
  • rew_output.txt
    168.1 KB · Views: 2

Dmanstarr

should I just manually change the text of the cal file for the "normal" one to 2.0838?

Dmanstarr

The other question, is how did it get changed? I have never messed with the original cal file intentionally.

Dmanstarr

I'd also like to donate, if you have a setup for that. Even if we can't find the problem.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I guess someone has changed it for whatever reason, since that is not how miniDSP name the files. They use 7014612.txt, not 7014612_Umik1cal.txt

sam_adams

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio Hang Loose Convolver Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...

Dmanstarr

I guess someone has changed it for whatever reason, since that is not how miniDSP name the files. They use 7014612.txt, not 7014612_Umik1cal.txt
I see the only difference in the incorrect cal vs the correct one I just downloaded was the sense factor.

It appears the only thing that changes in the measurements with this is the overall SPL level, while relative frequencies in a single measurement remain the same.

Is that the case, or do I need to scrap all my measurements done with the erroneous “normal” cal sense factor?

Top Bottom