IMAC OS High Sierra UAD Apollo 8 Set Up

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
I have a new IMAC running High Sierra OS. I have a silver Apollo Twin and an Apollo 8 connected via thurnderbolt. The audio to speakers is coming from the 8. I downloaded the V5 20 Beta 18 version of the software and purchased a Dayton Audio EMM-6 microphone (not usb).
Does anyone have a similar setup? I'm looking for set up instructions. I can't get the calibration test loop to work. I have a 1/4 cable out output 1 and going in to input 1 of the Apollo 8. The channel mute is off on input 1.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 31

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Best to select an input and output from the list rather than leaving them as default.

You have the output channel selected as "C" which would usually be output 3. If you want a signal from output 1 that would usually be "L".

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
Best to select an input and output from the list rather than leaving them as default.

You have the output channel selected as "C" which would usually be output 3. If you want a signal from output 1 that would usually be "L".

What about the "timing reference output"? I changed both the output and that to L but nothing still.

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040

also, is there a "calibration file" that I need or does the system just have the 1k test tone all ready built in?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The timing reference output isn't used for a soundcard calibration measurement. Nothing else is required to perform the measurement, after clicking "Calibrate soundcard..." follow the instructions in the help panel and press "Next" to progress through the steps of the measurement.

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
I hit next twice and got to the point where it says..."The 1kHz tone is now playing". No sound. When I crank the input gain on channel 1 there's nothing until I get to max and then there's a horrible overload tone that suddenly appears, but no test tone. Not sure what I'm missing?

Last edited:

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
The timing reference output isn't used for a soundcard calibration measurement. Nothing else is required to perform the measurement, after clicking "Calibrate soundcard..." follow the instructions in the help panel and press "Next" to progress through the steps of the measurement.
Here are two photos showing the green cable going out the channel number one in to the input 1.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There shouldn't really be sound since the output is just going to the loopback connection, unless you have also routed it to a speaker. Getting a tone if you raise the gain suggests there is a feedback loop from some active monitoring - the input signal is getting back to the output. That will need to be fixed before making measurements, but isn't related to the calibration problems.

To track down why the output isn't working try taking the output to a speaker temporarily and check the gain settings along that output path.

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
ok...I"ll try that now...

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
I have a second set of monitors that come out of 1 and 2 (first set come out the mon outs) so when I put the speaker cable back in 1 no test tone but if I play music it comes out. Maybe I should use output 3 instead. I'll hook the green cable up to that and switch the screen settings to C and try that.

bdunn315

Registered
More  
Front Speakers
Genelec M040
just to check...your saying I won't hear a test tone? How will I know its there then? Changed to output 3 and changed settings to channel C and here's what is happening

Changed green cable to output 3 and settings on software to C.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You won't hear a test tone if all that is on the selected output is a loopback cable. You should hear it if it is routed to a speaker. If the signal isn't coming out of the connector for the selected channel I'd suspect the mixer settings, worth checking if it is being routed somewhere else somehow. I have no familiarity with the Apollo configuration tools so can't help with how that should be set up, sorry. From a search on the forum others have used Apollo interfaces so there is no fundamental reason it shouldn't work.

Top Bottom