I need help to make work REW with Equalizer APO

Myashi

More  
Main Amp
Fiio EK 10
DAC
Fiio Ek 10
Hi!
As the title says, I'm having trouble to make it work REW.
Following a guide on EQ APO, it seems that REW is important to make a config file for EQ APO.
I'm a total newbie, and I never heard of both the apps. The problems with REW starts as soon I click on Measure. A pop up who ask for a SPL, appears.
I try to calibrate using REW speakers, from the drop down menu and an error message says: no sound card input data -> the sound card did not provide any input data from SPDIF Interface (FIIO EK10) Volume Master (Volume master), please check that it is connected.
If I close and reopen REW, then click on: continue anyway, the same message shows-up again. I believe that is because in Preferences/Input Device, I set the Fiio EK!0 (a dac amp combo that I use as ext audiocard).
I set back the Input Device, on Default Device, and whatever I do, I always get this message: no sound card input data -> the sound card did not provide any input data from Default Device, please check that it is connected.
I tried to follow some suggestion I read on the forum Home Theater Shack, and I didn't understand much if not I would have needed, the last beta REW (that I'm using) and if I get it right, the whole problem is that I don't have a microphone.
I hope I'm not bothering anyone, but can someone help me?

cimera

More  
Main Amp
Marantz SR5008
Other Amp
the t.amp PM40C
Computer Audio
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD
Front Speakers
T&A Criterion TMR 100
Other Equipment
Sonarworks SoundID Reference Measurement Microphone
As you already sayed yourself: To do SPL meassurements with REW you'll need a microphone. For reliable meassurements this mic should be calibrated to account for the mics frequency response. This also must be connected to you PC in a way (most likely via mic input of your sound card). From what i've found about the FIIO EK10 this is only a DAC with headphone preamp so you at least need another sondcard to record the mic signal.
I would suggest you get some information about how the whole meassurement is working first. This can be found e.g. in the help section of the REW homepage. Also there are some good video tutorials on youtube.

Myashi

More  
Main Amp
Fiio EK 10
DAC
Fiio Ek 10
As you already sayed yourself: To do SPL meassurements with REW you'll need a microphone. For reliable meassurements this mic should be calibrated to account for the mics frequency response. This also must be connected to you PC in a way (most likely via mic input of your sound card). From what i've found about the FIIO EK10 this is only a DAC with headphone preamp so you at least need another sondcard to record the mic signal.
I would suggest you get some information about how the whole meassurement is working first. This can be found e.g. in the help section of the REW homepage. Also there are some good video tutorials on youtube.

Yeah at some point, I was ready to the idea of giving up. The only MIC I have here, Is from a really old headphone+mic combo, that I bought back in the day for Skype.
There's no way, I can afford to spend money on a mic and even an additional soundcard (I had the Creative Soundblaster X G6, that have a mic input, but was defective and I send it back to Amazon).
I stepped in something bigger than I knew and need. I'll just uninstall everything and I will use a simple enhancing audio app, such Razer Surround, Boom 3D or Dolby Atmos.
Sorry for the bother, and thanks for the help.

One last request: does some moderator mark the thread as solved? Thx in advance :)

cimera

More  
Main Amp
Marantz SR5008
Other Amp
the t.amp PM40C
Computer Audio
Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD
Front Speakers
T&A Criterion TMR 100
Other Equipment
Sonarworks SoundID Reference Measurement Microphone
A "new" soundcard might not be necessary if you have some kind of onboard soundcard like most desktop PCs have but a "good" mic is some what mandatory as the the quality your EQ config is quite dependent on it.
If you really need this is quiet dependent on what you want to achieve. If it is only for making everything sound better in your own ears you should be on the right way. If you want something like a flat frequency response it is hard to achieve without some meassurement equipment.

But you are right this whole topic can be a deep rabbithole both complexity and moneywise :redgrin:

Myashi

More  
Main Amp
Fiio EK 10
DAC
Fiio Ek 10
If it is only for making everything sound better in your own ears you should be on the right way.
But you are right this whole topic can be a deap rabbithole both complexity and moneywise :redgrin:

Exactly mate :greengrin:
I primary play games and watch movies/tv series (only occationally I listen music). I just need that everything sounds better.
It was the case of my previous dac/amp combo (the sound blaster), that had lots of stuff to mess with, and give me back the "WOW" effect.
My actual and old dac amp, can produce only a nice and flat audio. I know already by all the search I made during the years, the the audiophile rabbithole, is a place to get past and not fall in :redgrin:
I'm just sorry for this post, but eventually I'm sure some admin/mod will close it.

Thank you again, and have a nice day/night/whatever it is ;)

Top Bottom