How to time align a horn subwoofer... can i change the frequency of the impulse so that it will be within the frequency response of the sub?

PabloAguas

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SCHITT Gumby
Main Amp
Audio Note Kit 2
Front Speakers
AN
Subwoofers
ACI Titan
Hello,

Does anyone know if there are any kind of options to change the frequency of the time alignment impulse? 1khz is not going to work in my situation because my subwoofer design acoustically low-passes...

thank you!
Paul

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Do you mean the timing reference signal? That is a 5 kHz to 20 kHz sweep, it goes to a speaker that can reproduce it, which does not need to be the one you are measuring. The timing signal should always go to the same speaker.

PabloAguas

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
SCHITT Gumby
Main Amp
Audio Note Kit 2
Front Speakers
AN
Subwoofers
ACI Titan
Ok... I guess I don't have any kind of understanding on how this works... I guess my question now is how would the timing reference signal tell me anything if it is only going to one speaker- in this case the main speaker(s)

The thing i need to know is the difference in timing from one speaker (main) to another (subwoofer) in milliseconds...

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Timing has to be relative to something, the timing reference is that something. Make a measurement of the main speaker with the timing reference, then make a measurement of the sub with the timing reference. For both measurements the timing reference output is the main speaker. The best way to align them when you have done that is to use the alignment tool.

Joel Teixeira

Registered
I've a similar question.

I am trying to align a LCR flown tops with a floor sub. The starting point for me would the individual alignment of each top with the sub.

So according to your explanation although I use the central top as a reference I can align the L/R with the sub being the central top an external reference?

Top Bottom