How does my subwoofer REW graph look?

Bone9

Hi guys just to start can someone confirm I have this setup correctly. I have a digital radioshack spl meter that is connected to the line in on my htpc via a phono to jack cable. Then the htpc is connected via hdmi to my avr. I have downloaded the radioshack calibration file. The sound card hasn't been calibrated, not sure how to do this with my configuration.

Anyway some opinions on my graphs will be great. These are all the subwoofer only with the speakers disconnected.

For the first graph what crossover looks best? Notice the difference in the low but then also later in the range it reduces the difference in the peaks etc. Currently got the mains crossed over @ 80Hz but not sure if 60Hz would be best?

Main Crossover Comparrision.jpg

This is my sub only with the mains crossed at 60Hz.

Sub Audyssey On.jpg

This is a comparison with Audyssey on and off to see the sub eq difference. Do you think I'd benefit from an antimode?

Sub, Audyssey On & Off.jpg

Any opinions would be great! Thanks.

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
What subwoofer are you using? How many?

Have you tried some different placements for the sub to see if you can get rid of that hump at 30-35Hz? Maybe even as simple as turning the sub around.

Bone9

Hi I'm using 1 BK Electronics Monolith Plus front firing. No I haven't tried any other positions yet as I wanted to know if the current graph looks pretty good or not?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What is playing in the first graph, sub + left + right? Need to look further up into the frequency range to see how the sub and mains are integrating and the overall levels. Should also set the frequency axis to logarithmic it is using linear spacing at the moment.

Bone9

These were all taken with just the sub only running. I'm currently just interested in the performance of the sub, not integration with the mains atm.

When I get home I'll change the graphs to logarithmic.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It doesn't really make sense to try and pick a crossover setting without seeing how sub + mains perform, the combined response will typically be very different to the response of the sub alone.

Bone9

I can only have one main running with the sub atm with my current cable configuration. All I'm interested in is the sub performance. The spl meter won't be very accurate with high frequencies.

Bone9

So I've found a problem. When I first did the test I must of had the door open a bit as I couldn't get near the original graph till I opened the door a tad. When closed (this is how I have it during movies) the lows are terrible! I then fully opened the door and look what happens...

Door.jpg

Bone9

Front right speaker with sub and the door open slightly.

Door open a bit and front right speaker..jpg

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
So I've found a problem. When I first did the test I must of had the door open a bit as I couldn't get near the original graph till I opened the door a tad. When closed (this is how I have it during movies) the lows are terrible! I then fully opened the door and look what happens...

View attachment 12028

This is very normal. Opening a door let’s the bass out! Stops the reflection from being as strong. It’s a common “old” acoustics trick used by audiophiles and studio guys. I always have to laugh when I hear about someone talking about this phenomena with some kind of mystical tone. It’s not mystical, the sound doesn’t reflect off the back wall and no longer cancels.

My guess is that your big peak down low is probably close to 4 times the length of the longest wall of your room. Is that right?

Is your room fairly small?

Bone9

This is very normal. Opening a door let’s the bass out! Stops the reflection from being as strong. It’s a common “old” acoustics trick used by audiophiles and studio guys. I always have to laugh when I hear about someone talking about this phenomena with some kind of mystical tone. It’s not mystical, the sound doesn’t reflect off the back wall and no longer cancels.

My guess is that your big peak down low is probably close to 4 times the length of the longest wall of your room. Is that right?

Is your room fairly small?

The 32Hz peak? Not sure how to compare that to the length of my room? Yes the room is quite small and has a lot of furniture in it atm. I don't have the dimensions to hand but here's a pic...

2019-01-06 (10).png

Last edited:

Bone9

If I'm right the 32hz wave length is about 2.4 times the length of the room. Roughly as I don't have the exact dimensions with me.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
If I'm right the 32hz wave length is about 2.4 times the length of the room. Roughly as I don't have the exact dimensions with me.

Not quite how it works. That would be a HUGE room.

I’m estimating the mode is caused by a dimension of roughly 8 to 9 feet.

Once a room becomes large enough to contain the entire wavelength the behavior changes and it begins to look more like densely populated interferences. The modes are closely spaced and the response looks like it has a lot of little ups and downs closely spaced. In small spaces, below about 50-80hz only a handful of modes are operating but they have huge detrimental effects. For example your space is really exciting a mode that coincides with that 8-9 foot dimension.

I mentioned it might be the longest dimension but in seeing your space that might not be right. It might be the depth of your room. It might simply be the placement of speakers and mic that causes that to show up.

Bone9

Without measuring (currently at work) I'd say about 15'.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Without measuring (currently at work) I'd say about 15'.

Interesting. Well sometimes certain rooms show strong unimodal behavior that doesn’t perfectly align with a specific dimension. Sometimes off by like 10-20% and sometimes it matches a different dimension. That’s just how the speaker/room/listening interaction works.

Bone9

Right I've had a play with REW and moved my sub about and took some measurements! This is with no EQ at all.

MLP Sub Positions.jpg

Bone9

For all the seat positions and measurements I took I've gone for the front right position.

I also have a miniDSP HD on the way so will eq the sub with that and then run Audyssey. Will hopefully see some great results.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Looks typical, not a lot to say really.

I would suggest taking full frequency response measurements along with your mains. Integration is a major concern and this allows you to see that. Eq should also be generated based on that. Won’t matter much if the subwoofer is flat if the end response is not.

Bone9

I can't take full sweep measurements as I'm using a spl meter.

The avr eq's the full range of every speaker and sub. Here's the results from that...
MLP Audyssey On.jpg
MLP Audyssey On & Off.jpg

I intend to improve this further when my minidsp arrives.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Here is the graph you requested. Red is the MLP.

View attachment 12467

Thanks this is helpful. It also is highlighting why I like a broader range for the response. It looks like the response is rising from 100hz to 500hz. That there is some kind of broad dip in that range.

In any case, it looks fine. I would think the bass is too hot, but if you like it, it’s your system. You should do what sounds best to you. I think I would personally want to figure out how to better integrate the subs and mains in the 100-500hz range so that the transition is not so abrupt.

Overall the bass response looks relatively flat and you have good position to position consistency for the kind of setup you have. Eq won’t really improve the consistency. Might allow you to getter a flatter response, but it’s really not bad. Like i mentioned, the only thing that bothers me at all is above 100hz.

Bone9

I haven't finalised the sub level yet I've just been trying to get a flat response so far. They might come down in volume.

How do I know what headroom I have and how do I know if i'm clipping the sub or minidsp?
My process was to EQ using the miniDSP before Audyssey then tweak it after. These are the filters I used to get the final results.

Band 1 = Frequency 22, Gain -3.6, Q 2. Band 2 = Frequency 32, Gain -16, Q 2.4. Band 3 = Frequency 38, Gain -3, Q 18.9. Band 4 = Frequency 20, Gain -0.2, Q 9.2. Band 5 = Frequency 30, Gain 4.7, Q 4.6. Band 6 = Frequency 45, Gain 8, Q 7. Band 7 = Frequency 59, Gain 4, Q 6. Band 8 = Frequency 59, Gain 4, Q 6. Band 9 = Frequency 50, Gain 2, Q 6. Band 10 = Frequency 60, Gain 1, Q 7.

Top Bottom