Hi DPI Laptops

phil67ago

Registered
Hi!

I have installed latest V5.20 Beta 12 on a 4K laptop but the DPI scaling is not working.
Text and icon is extremely small.
java jre is oracle jre1.8.0_211
OS is Linux Fedora 30

Here they suggested a switch but it not working any more.

Any ideas?

/Phil

John Mulcahy

REW Author
You could try putting the

-Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5

flag in the roomeqwizard.vmoptions file in the REW directory.

Mike-48

I just found this in the View menu, which I was able to read by installing on a machine with larger monitor. Problem solved. H.

-----original query-----

Hello -- I have the same problem under Windows 10 (1920 x 1080 laptop) and under Windows 7 (1920 x 1200). On both, the program and help file are not usable because of tiny font size. I tried the flag suggested for Fedora, and it doesn't work on my Windows machines.

I think some 20-yr-olds could read the screen OK but for a 70-yr-old like me, it's impossible. Is there solution under Windows?

Using 5.19 (I typically avoid betas).

Last edited:

simbloke

Registered
Hi,
I've got the same issue on a Dell XPS13 with a 4K screen, basically can't read anything in the app.
I have tried the post above " -Dsun.java2d.uiScale=2.5" but that made no difference at all.
I am using Open JDK 8 as given in the Linux instructions.

I have read that later versions of Java handle the Hi DPI screens better but REW won't start with and of them.

Anyone solved this issue?

simbloke

Registered
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, didn't know they had done that. Unfortunately it hasn't made the slightest difference for me.
I extracted the jbrsdk-8u202-linux-x64-b1483.37.tar.gz download into /usr/local/java as I noticed your script checks for java in that dir.
I tried the various options from their web page in /opt/roomeqwizard.vmoptions file but none of them change anything.

I feel like I must be doing something wrong but I haven't found it yet.

Mike-48

Is it possible REW could detect the resolution or perhaps ask the user about font size while installing? I had the same problem when I installed. If memory serves, I got around it only by reducing the display resolution so that I could read the View preferences and change the font size.

If that's too difficult, I would suggest a larger default font size, as it's easier to make it smaller than it is to make it larger when you can't read the screen.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I have made two test builds to experiment with adapting REW to high DPI screens, one for Windows-64 and one for Linux. MacOS builds already adapt to retina screens automatically. If the screen is above 96 DPI the fonts and icons will be adjusted to suit. Scaling of fonts can be enabled or disabled via a new View preference setting Scale fonts for display DPI. Fonts will only be scaled if the resolution is more than 96 DPI. Edit: builds removed with release of V5.20 beta 54.

Scaling will have no effect on Windows unless the High DPI scaling override is enabled with scaling set to Application. That property can be changed by right-clicking on the REW shortcut, selecting Properties, then the Compatibility tab, then the Change high DPI settings button.

On Linux it may be necessary to set the DPI figure, for example using xrandr --dpi 192 to set 192 DPI.

On both builds the DPI figure REW is being given can be viewed in the About REW dialog:

The builds will be available for the next few days for anyone that would like to try them out and provide feedback here on how it goes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom