Preamp, Processor or Receiver
project pre box
Main Amp
300b tube
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
cambridge
Front Speakers
diy horn
diy horn speakers 300b amp Could someone take a look at my mdat and tell me how bad things are? nob at this

Attachments

• room 4.mdat
    14.9 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Mike-48

Try making a graph of reverb time vs frequency, or something like that, and post it in a form that can be read by all, like a jpeg or png file. Make a similar graph of frequency response. That will make it easier for people to comment who might not have access to the .mdat format.

• Post hidden due to user being banned.

Mike-48

Thanks for following up with graphs. I am not an acoustics expert, and I hope that others who are will answer. But I'll give some tentative ideas based on my experience with acoustics and EQ in my various systems.

I realized after staring at them for a while that I'm not the best one to interpret graphs #2 and #3, but looking at #1, there are two things that might bother me.

The excess bass around 80 and 160 Hz is one. I like a little bass boost, but more than 10 dB seems a lot. These are probably room effects.

The other issue (taking the heavy purple line as an average) is the rising FR from 1k to 3k and approximately 8 dB shelf down thereafter. I don't know if the HF response could be made more even by adjusting toe-in of the speakers, or not. I would guess the 3 kHz peak might make music more immediate, but more tiring on some material. However, the lowered treble level might counteract that somewhat.

The big question is, how does it sound to you? If you like the result, that's the main thing. And I hope others will have something to say, too.

Nordo

More  
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Sub amp - Behringer EP2500
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
Haven't looked at all your mdat, just the ones above.
I take it that you have a 2.0 system (i.e.stereo).
Do you have any way of eq'ing the system?
Assuming you don't have any eq'ing available, model your room in REW. This will show you the modes which will cause problems, especially with the lower frequencies.
Also a couple of photos of the room and/or a plan (showing dimensions, windows, doors, speaker locations, main listening position (MLP) ) will help people give advice.
In the meantime, if you haven't already, learn what you can about best MLP, speaker positioning, room treatment (bass traps, first reflection treatment, diffusion).
There is a heap of information out there. Here's a start (you may find better).
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/optimizing-the-soundstage-with-speaker-placement/
http://realtraps.com/art_tuning.htm
Regarding the Real Traps website, there is a heap of very useful information. The link is only to one page.
There also plenty of information on DIY treatment too.
Hope this helps.

Nordo

More  
Denon AVR X1500H
Additional Amp
Sub amp - Behringer EP2500
Panasoic BD35
Front Speakers
DIY
Center Channel Speaker
DIY
Surround Speakers
DIY
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
-
Rear Height Speakers
-
Subwoofers
Four 15" infinite baffle drivers
Other Speakers or Equipment
HTPC (windows 10 with Kodi)
Video Display Device
Epson EMP-TW2000 projector
Screen
Matt white "blockout" curtain liner
Regarding the three graphs that Perfectionist put up for you, the one I find easiest to read/understand is the 3rd one, called a waterfall graph.
As you already know, you want the frequency response to be as even as possible. Although many people aim for a curve evenly rising toward the lower frequencies.
Room treatment can help somewhat in achieving the response you want..
However, the ideal waterfall graph is where the graph coming toward you reduces very quickly, and dies out before it reaches the front extent of the graph (300ms in your graph).
This ideal is almost impossible to achieve, especially for frequencies below 100Hz, but the more of those ridges coming toward you, that you can reduce in length, the better the sound will be.
This is what room treatment is all about.

Last edited:
Top Bottom