Help setting up Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB in Focusrite Control for REW with loopback

jhaider

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Monoprice Monolith HTP-1
Main Amp
Crown DCI 8|600n (LCR + heights)
Additional Amp
Crown DCI 4|600n (sides/rears)
Other Amp
Crown DCI 4|1250n (subs)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony 1100ES
Front Speakers
JBL LSR708i
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR708i
Front Wide Speakers
none
Surround Speakers
JBL CBT-50LA
Surround Back Speakers
JBL CBT-100LA
Front Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic891
Rear Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic691
Subwoofers
bespoke; Aurasound drivers (18, 2x15, 2x12DO)
Video Display Device
LG 55" OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Ultimate
Streaming Equipment
AppleTV 4K (current); Mac mini M1, Roku Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple Music, some video ones
Other Equipment
2ch system with B&O Beogram RX-2 tt with SoundSmith SMMC3 cartridge and Parks Audio Puffin phono pre, Apple AirPort Express, miniDSP SHD Studio and 10x10HD, NHT XdS sats, Velodyne SC10 flanking subs, ULF subs Aurasound NS15-992-4A in ~40L closed box and Tymphany LAT-700 in 35L closed box
I recently picked up a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB because I thought I might buy REW Pro and make simultaneous measurements to save time. However, I've been messing with the Focusrite Control software and simply cannot make heads or tails of how to set up the interface for use with REW and a loopback. (I believe, though I didn't know this until after I bought ti, this model does not support software loopbacks.) My previous one, a Scarlett 2i2, had a simple hardware interface.

Does anyone have screenshots from Focusrite Control to illustrate how to set this box up to inject the measurement sweep into the DAC or amp from digital coax or analog respectively, and also set it up to accept a wired loopback?

jhaider

Registered
More  
Monoprice Monolith HTP-1
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Crown DCI 4|1250n (subs)
Sony 1100ES
Front Speakers
JBL LSR708i
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR708i
Front Wide Speakers
none
Surround Speakers
JBL CBT-50LA
Surround Back Speakers
JBL CBT-100LA
Front Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic891
Rear Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic691
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
LG 55" OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Ultimate
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
2ch system with B&O Beogram RX-2 tt with SoundSmith SMMC3 cartridge and Parks Audio Puffin phono pre, Apple AirPort Express, miniDSP SHD Studio and 10x10HD, NHT XdS sats, Velodyne SC10 flanking subs, ULF subs Aurasound NS15-992-4A in ~40L closed box and Tymphany LAT-700 in 35L closed box
To come back to this, I finally had a chance to read the guide - thanks! - and go back to the Clarett 4Pre. The guide was very helpful but not wholly on point, because 4Pre USB has more complex I/O. That said, after reading the guide, watching a video tutorial or two, fumbling around in the software a little bit more I think the configuration below might be close to right. To recap, here's what I'm trying to set up
  • USB input from computer to inject test tones into Focusrite Clarett 4Pre
  • Analog and digital outputs to output REW test tones signal into audio system (understand, may need to break up into 2 separate configs.
  • Record from 4 microphones (will test by selecting say mic 2 then mic 4 in REW, before getting Pro)
  • Set up a physical loopback that sends the loopback signal from one of the line outs to one of the line ins
Monitor (Analog) Output 1:

Monitor (Analog) Output 2:

Digital Output 1:

Digital Output 2:

I'm loathe to actually try it before someone who understands Focusrite Control more deeply can verify that I've hacked my way into the right configuration.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
What do you have to lose by trying it? You can use the REW signal generator to play a test tone or noise, setting a low enough level not to frighten anyone :) and use the Levels display to see what is happening on the input channels.

jhaider

Registered
More  
Monoprice Monolith HTP-1
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Crown DCI 4|1250n (subs)
Sony 1100ES
Front Speakers
JBL LSR708i
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR708i
Front Wide Speakers
none
Surround Speakers
JBL CBT-50LA
Surround Back Speakers
JBL CBT-100LA
Front Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic891
Rear Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic691
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
LG 55" OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Ultimate
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
In all candor, time. After all, it took me almost 3 months to go from asking the question to blocking off the time to study and attempt implementation!

That said, I did try it and I could pick my mic input but loopback did not work. REW said the level was 97dB too low or something like that.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW said the level was 97dB too low or something like that.
Typical of an input channel that has no signal, which could be wrong loopback input channel chosen, or loopback output channel not connected to that channel.

jhaider

Registered
More  
Monoprice Monolith HTP-1
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Crown DCI 4|1250n (subs)
Sony 1100ES
Front Speakers
JBL LSR708i
Center Channel Speaker
JBL LSR708i
Front Wide Speakers
none
Surround Speakers
JBL CBT-50LA
Surround Back Speakers
JBL CBT-100LA
Front Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic891
Rear Height Speakers
Pioneer EX S-ic691
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
LG 55" OLED
Remote Control
Harmony Ultimate
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Yeah, it was a dumbass mistake...I was actually injecting the test tone into the DSP through the Mac mini's optical output rather than the 4Pre's coax digital out. So there was nothing to loop back! I tested it tonight (at low levels) and am getting a consistent -12dB loopback channel level now.

Pro ordered. :)

Top Bottom