Pioneer
Video Display Device
Panasonic PT-AT6000
Screen
Wall
Remote Control
Harmony Remote
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, although I have used REW in the past. Before I start, I have used the search function both in this forum, and AVSForum, but have not found the cause/solution to my problem. I have tried almost every single tutorial I've found, but if someone can put me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

My setup is as follows:

Mac mini late 2012 i7 12GB Ram
osX High Sierra 10.13.4
REW 5.19 beta 9
The installed Java version is 8.171 (1.8.0_171-b11)
UMIK-1

This is connected (for measurement purposes) to an Emotiva UMC-200 or (I've tried both) to an HDMI switch. Both (the Emotiva and the switch) route the video signal to a projector (as the mini does not have a screen), so I have to use the same output.

In the past I made the measurements switching cables, but my setup is very inaccessible and I wanted to be able the measure and adjust all the channels in an easier manner.

The problem I find is that REW does not recognize any more than 2 HDMI channels (when connected to the switch) and, when directly connected to the UMC, no HDMI audio output. Strangely enough, if I launch VLC player, it does give me the option to choose "raw HDMI" audio device, which outputted (in my test) a True HD DTS signal that was immediately recognized and decoded by the preamp.

I have run now out of ideas so any helo will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

davidmv

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva UMC-200
Main Amp
Self made Hypex UcD 5x180
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
QNAP TS453bmini
Front Speakers
Magnat Quantum 675
Center Channel Speaker
Magnat Center 67
Surround Speakers
Pioneer
Video Display Device
Panasonic PT-AT6000
Screen
Wall
Remote Control
Harmony Remote
Thanks John, I've tried but to no avail. It only shows 2 channels (if it appears). I really don't know how to proceed.

EarlK

You need to see this within the ( Mac's ) Audio Midi control panel ( & set it as your computers preferred output by hitting the "Configure Speakers" button );

osx8channeloutput.jpg

OTOH, if ( Apple's ) Audio Midi control panel is only displaying 2 channels ( as an available output choice ) then the fault lies with your HDMI switch ( telling the computer that only 2 channels are available/needed for output ).

Reset the switch ( ie; restore all HDMI Handshakes ).

HDMI Power-up Sequence

:)

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Also if connecting to the UMC make sure it is in a processing mode that accepts multichannel linear PCM.

EarlK

david said:
<<SNIP>>
I have run now out of ideas so any helo will be greatly appreciated.
<<SNIP>>
I really don't know how to proceed.

?????????

:)

Last edited:

Samazar

I am having the same problem. See below, I am seeing the right multi channel section but it is all greyed out and is not adjustable regardless of whether I choose HDMI or Aggregate Device.

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 6.16.01 PM.png

John Mulcahy

REW Author
It doesn't need to be adjustable, REW doesn't use those controls. Select HDMI as the output device and pick the channel you want to measure in REW.

Martin-Andersen

Registered
I am also using a Macbook Pro from late 2013. I can not see the HDMI output anywhere.
I have tried to reboot and also turned my AV receiver on/off but nothing works.
And I have google like a crazy but everything related to HDMI is about connecting a TV

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The HDMI output will only appear as an audio device when it is plugged into something that accepts audio data over HDMI - the input may also need to be active, i.e. currently selected as the audio input on the receiver.

Martin-Andersen

Registered
The HDMI output will only appear as an audio device when it is plugged into something that accepts audio data over HDMI - the input may also need to be active, i.e. currently selected as the audio input on the receiver.
Thanks I will check if I have forgot to select the HDMI output on the front

Martin-Andersen

Registered
The missing HDMI was my fault. I have assigned the front output to spdif instead of HDMI.
But I have only stereo, no multi channel. Any suggestion on how I can setup multi channels on my mac?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That may depend on the processing mode on the receiver, there is typically a mode for multichannel but naming varies, sometimes called direct.

Martin-Andersen

Registered
That may depend on the processing mode on the receiver, there is typically a mode for multichannel but naming varies, sometimes called direct.
Normally it's the source that dictate what mode the receiver selects. Netflix stereo or Dolby 5.1.
I tried the different modes but not direct. Direct is for better sound. But I will try it tonight.

Thanks for your support

Top Bottom