HELP Mac mini + Rew no multichannel output

Discussion in 'Official REW (Room EQ Wizard) Support Forum' started by davidmv, May 16, 2018 at 4:18 AM.

1. davidmv

davidmv New Member

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, although I have used REW in the past. Before I start, I have used the search function both in this forum, and AVSForum, but have not found the cause/solution to my problem. I have tried almost every single tutorial I've found, but if someone can put me in the right direction I would appreciate that.

My setup is as follows:

Mac mini late 2012 i7 12GB Ram
    osX High Sierra 10.13.4
    REW 5.19 beta 9
    The installed Java version is 8.171 (1.8.0_171-b11)
    UMIK-1

This is connected (for measurement purposes) to an Emotiva UMC-200 or (I've tried both) to an HDMI switch. Both (the Emotiva and the switch) route the video signal to a projector (as the mini does not have a screen), so I have to use the same output.

In the past I made the measurements switching cables, but my setup is very inaccessible and I wanted to be able the measure and adjust all the channels in an easier manner.

The problem I find is that REW does not recognize any more than 2 HDMI channels (when connected to the switch) and, when directly connected to the UMC, no HDMI audio output. Strangely enough, if I launch VLC player, it does give me the option to choose "raw HDMI" audio device, which outputted (in my test) a True HD DTS signal that was immediately recognized and decoded by the preamp.

I have run now out of ideas so any helo will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

2. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

3. davidmv

davidmv New Member

Thanks John, I've tried but to no avail. It only shows 2 channels (if it appears). I really don't know how to proceed.

4. EarlK

EarlK Member

You need to see this within the ( Mac's ) Audio Midi control panel ( & set it as your computers preferred output by hitting the "Configure Speakers" button );

[​IMG]

OTOH, if ( Apple's ) Audio Midi control panel is only displaying 2 channels ( as an available output choice ) then the fault lies with your HDMI switch ( telling the computer that only 2 channels are available/needed for output ).

Reset the switch ( ie; restore all HDMI Handshakes ).

HDMI Power-up Sequence

:)

#4 EarlK, May 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 2:07 PM
  5. John Mulcahy

John Mulcahy REW Author

Also if connecting to the UMC make sure it is in a processing mode that accepts multichannel linear PCM.