Headphone DACs and amps...what do you use?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I have a IFI Zen DAC Signature I use on my main setup (k402 MEHs) which is hooked up to my Yamaha CXA5100 via the XLRs inputs.

I also have a IFI Zen Can Signature 6xx for my Sennheiser 6xx cans. I went a little overboard on this one as it cost more than my cans did, and I also use a silver core balanced cable. The cost of this setup (headphone amp, cans, and silver cable) was around $700.

I also have the IFI Zen Blue in my bedroom setup. This setup is with the KZ ZS10 Pro IEMs, Linsoul Tripowin Zonie 16 Core Silver Plated Cable, and Schiit Magni Heresy 3 amp. Cost about $300 for complete setup.

The build quality is great, they are under $300 each, and they sound good too. All 3 can handle balanced cable too, but I am only using balanced on the Signature series ones.

What do you use?

Last edited:

Mike-48

You have some nice setups there. I don't use headphones much, but sometimes I'm in the mood. Other times, I think I've heard something weird through the speakers, and I use headphones as a reference.

My Anthem preamp has extra "line out" jacks (like tape outs, i.e., always full volume). So I use those, running to an Auralic Taurus II headphone amp, to a pair of Sennheiser HD650. Both the amp and the headphones were found used on US Audio Mart. That arrangement works well in my quiet audio room. In noisier environments, I use Sony WH1000XM2 via Bluetooth. Where there's noise, my preference is better S/N ratio, even with a little loss in absolute sound quality.

Top Bottom