Hardboard Diffusion Material

tjcinnamon

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I cannot answer your question as to how thick the diffuser part should be, but I made mine out of 1/4" MDF and then painted them with automotive paint. I then spaced them out 1" with mirror spacers from my 5 1/2" thick absorber panels (which have 4" of Roxul r60 inside) my panels are also free standing and stand anywhere fom a few inches to 2' away from the walls...due to speaker placements.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Other Speakers or Equipment
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
1/8 to 1/4 inch plywood or pegboard... You might look for a copy of the Master Handbook of Acoustics by F. Alton Everest and Ken C. Pohlmann they have an entire chapter on making various absorbers and details of various designs...

tjcinnamon

I cannot answer your question as to how thick the diffuser part should be, but I made mine out of 1/4" MDF and then painted them with automotive paint. I then spaced them out 1" with mirror spacers from my 5 1/2" thick absorber panels (which have 4" of Roxul r60 inside) my panels are also free standing and stand anywhere fom a few inches to 2' away from the walls...due to speaker placements.
I respect your dedication to the sound. Some wouldn’t be willing to stand things up mid room.

I created a false wall to add some horizontal symmetry.

VinceHoffman

More  
Anthem AVM60 or Coincident Statement Linestage
Main Amp
N/A
Additional Amp
2x Meridian 557 for Atmos
DAC
Hotrodded PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ outboard linear PS.
Oppomod UDP-203 & Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk II transport
Front Speakers
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stands
Center Channel Speaker
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stand
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
ATC SCM12i Pro hung from K&M ceiling mounts
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
4x Seaton Sound Submersive HP
DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 for sub modal EQ & delay
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-990 & Isco 3L Ana-lens on motorized sled
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence 4k 2.37:1 Motorized
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple+, CraveTV, Disney+, Netflix, and PrimeTV
Other Equipment
Oracle Delphi VI Reference/Turbo PS/SME V/Benz LP-S turntable, Foundation Research V5 phono-stage, & JL Audio CR-1 electronic subwoofer crossover
If you reach out to Lukasz at Seven Audio in Poland, he can make you properly calculated BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) "scatter plates" from 1/8" birch or maple plywood to mount over the absorbent faces of any broadband absorber panel. Lukasz will custom cut the exterior dimensions of your scatter plates to perfectly fit whichever broadband panels you have and even with the overseas shipping the cost is surprisingly reasonable. My landed cost for eight 49" x 25" unfinished maple ply plates worked out to about $50 Canadian per plate.
IMG_0395.jpg

I finish sanded the scatter plates, stained them grey to match my existing room decor and treatments, and applied a spray-on satin sealer before nailing them to the router-beveled 3/4" plywood frames of my DIY broadband panels.
Screen_Shot_2022-05-11_at_12.29.36_PM(1).png

And the completed panels in use. Lukasz also made the 1D Fractal QRD diffusers seen in a 5 panel array on my rear wall along with the three 2D QRD diffusers seen on my ceiling.
IMG_0844.jpg

tjcinnamon

If you reach out to Lukasz at Seven Audio in Poland, he can make you properly calculated BAD (Binary Amplitude Diffuser) "scatter plates" from 1/8" birch or maple plywood to mount over the absorbent faces of any broadband absorber panel. Lukasz will custom cut the exterior dimensions of your scatter plates to perfectly fit whichever broadband panels you have and even with the overseas shipping the cost is surprisingly reasonable. My landed cost for eight 49" x 25" unfinished maple ply plates worked out to about $50 Canadian per plate.
View attachment 63110

I finish sanded the scatter plates, stained them grey to match my existing room decor and treatments, and applied a spray-on satin sealer before nailing them to the router-beveled 3/4" plywood frames of my DIY broadband panels.
View attachment 63111

And the completed panels in use. Lukasz also made the 1D Fractal QRD diffusers seen in a 5 panel array on my rear wall along with the three 2D QRD diffusers seen on my ceiling.
View attachment 63112
Wow! Those are amazing. I just got some plates on Etsy to try out. It was about $30 (USD) per plate with tax and shipping .

If these work out, I’ll get something nicer from this guy.

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I respect your dedication to the sound. Some wouldn’t be willing to stand things up mid room.

I created a false wall to add some horizontal symmetry.
I had read that by having the panels away from the wall is like having thicker panels. Now my room is a open Floorplan that is 40' long x 19' and includes the kitchen, dining room, and living room. We about 15' of the room for the living room. Our cei.ing over the living room is around 30'...so I do not have anywhere enough room treatment, but I am not going to spend the money or the work to get treatments up that high. My last room we converted a large 2 car garage into a HT room, by building a room within a room. All the walls and ceiling were fabric covered and at the first reflection points on the walls and ceilings had acoustic panels the same color as the fake panels covering the rest of the walls and ceiling.

Last edited:

tjcinnamon

I had read that by having the panels away from the wall is like having thicker panels. Now my room is an open Floorplan that is 40' long x 19' and includes the kitchen, dining room, and living room. We about 15' of the room for the living room. Our cei.ing over the living room is around 30'...so I do not have anywhere enough room treatment, but I am not going to spend the money or the work to get treatments up that high. My last room we converted a large 2 car garage intona HT room, by building a room within a room. All the walls and ceiling were fabric covered and at the first reflection points on the walls and ceilings had acoustic panels the same color as the fake panels covering the rest of the walls and ceiling.
How did you support the ceiling in the room within a room?

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
How did you support the ceiling in the room within a room?
It has been a while... I believe the ceiling was supported with metal rails and clips. On the side walls we stripped all the drywall and built an additional wall, used metal rails and clips which then held on layer of OSB and thea layer of green glue and then a layer of staggered drywall. I contacted a place that sold all the supplies and would make the plans and give instruction on how to do it.

tjcinnamon

View attachment 63110

View attachment 63111

View attachment 63112
For the ones on the ceiling, how deep are those?

VinceHoffman

More  
Anthem AVM60 or Coincident Statement Linestage
Main Amp
N/A
Additional Amp
2x Meridian 557 for Atmos
DAC
Hotrodded PS Audio Directstream DAC w/ outboard linear PS.
Oppomod UDP-203 & Jay's Audio CDT2 Mk II transport
Front Speakers
ATC SCM20ASL Pro mkII on Skylan 4 post stands
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
4x Seaton Sound Submersive HP
DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0 for sub modal EQ & delay
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-990 & Isco 3L Ana-lens on motorized sled
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence 4k 2.37:1 Motorized
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV 4k
Streaming Subscriptions
Apple+, CraveTV, Disney+, Netflix, and PrimeTV
Other Equipment
Oracle Delphi VI Reference/Turbo PS/SME V/Benz LP-S turntable, Foundation Research V5 phono-stage, & JL Audio CR-1 electronic subwoofer crossover
For the ones on the ceiling, how deep are those?
The trio of Seven Audio black stained custom 2D QRDs in my rear ceiling treatment array have about a 5" maximum well depth and are 30" square.

Screen_Shot_2022-04-04_at_7.16.58_PM.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom