front.jpg

Movie: :4stars:
Video:
Audio:
Extras: : :2.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

1.jpg
Movie

Nowadays the world of the MCU is fractured into two general core groups of people. Those who believe that the MCU is still pumping out awesome material, and those who think that the studio jumped the shark with Avengers Endgame and have been slowly circling the drain for the last several years. If you’ve read my reviews on the phase 4 films (and Ant-Man: Quantumania), then you’re well aware that I tend to swing more towards the second group. While I don’t actively hate Phase 4 and Phase 5 (so far), I tend to believe that Marvel is struggling with putting out too much content, too fast, and having lost most of their main cast of characters they built up in the previous phases. Honestly, I was a HUGE MCU fanboy up until the last few movies of phase 3 (outside of Endgame and Infinity War), and collected every single film in the franchise up until that point. Sadly, I think Black Widow and No Way Home are the only two films I own in the franchise on physical media this point (Black Widow because my wife wanted it), as the rest are simply not worth me owning in my humble opinion. That alone says a lot with the amount of investing I did, having seen every single film in the first 3 phases in theaters, then owned them on home video over the years.

HOWEVER, I think I’m now going to my 3rd physical purchase of the year on standby, as Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was the first time outside of No Way Home that I actually had FUN in post Endgame MCU land. The movie manages to elevate itself away from the rapidly intertwined Kang storyline, as well as bring back all of the well loved Guardians crew for a final ride that wraps up the team in a heartfelt and touching goodbye to one of the last OG’s from really good MCU watchings.

After the events of Thor: Love and Thunder and Endgame, Peter Quill and the rest of the Guardians are making do with the scraps they have left. The Gamora (Zoe) from Endgame has left to join the Ravagers, leaving Peter (Chris Pratt) a washed up drunk, Rocket (Bradley Cooper) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) are keeping the crew together as best they can, but things get upset BADLY when a golden super powered being crashes out of the sky and mortally wounds Rocket in an attempt to capture him. Turns out this “golden man” is none other than Adam Warlock (Will Poulter). A genetic creation from the super powered golden Sovereign race that Rocket sort of off in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It seems that the Sovereigns are actually the invention of a master geneticist known as The High Evolutionary (Chukwudi Iwuji) and he is using the Sovereign’s secret weapon (end credit scene of the 2nd film actually) to track down Rocket and bring the talking trash panda too him.

2.jpg
Turns out that Rocket is actually the invention of The High Evolutionary. An invention that escaped from the mad scientist years and years ago, and has now fallen on to his radar once more. With Rocket mortally wounded, the Guardians figure out that there’s only one way to save him. Invade the High Evolutionary’s impenetrable fortress, steal the kill switch that operates a deadly “kill switch” on Rocket’s heart, and get out without getting killed in the process. Whiiiiiiiiiiiiich, is sort of easier said than done.

I genuinely liked Vol. 3. I haven’t been very entertained with just about anything phase 4 or 5 related, but Gunn knocked it out of the park here. The film steps back from the Kang story line, instead focusing on a stand alone story that finally does the one thing I’d been wishing from the beginning. That is, make Rocket an actual likeable and relatable character. He’s always been the odd man out, but the fleshing out of his tortured back story as seen through flashbacks is incredible. Easily the highlight of the entire film. If you had told me that I’d be snuffling and holding back tears from flashbacks of a talking raccoon, I’d have told you you were insane a few days back. But here we are.

The story is non stop action, and actually not bad. It’s not top tier MCU work, but with how mediocre the last phase was, seeing something actually fun and GOOD Is like a breath of fresh air. Karen Gillan is absolutely killing it as Nebula, having transformed her from an angry tool of Thanos into a full fledged character capable of emotional connection (and actually connecting to the audience as well). There’s some nice winks and nods with member berries to Yondu (Michael Rooker in a 5 second cameo), and once again, WOWZA! Did they do a number on us with Rocket this go around.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for intense sequences of violence and action, strong language, suggestive/drug references and thematic elements

Video:
3.jpg
Like usual, I’m going to refrain from giving an actual set in stone score for the video simply because this was a streamed digital copy to review, and is dependent on bitrates. That being said, this looks absolutely gorgeous in 4K on my 950h 85 incher. The colors are vibrant and pop off the screen, and nearly entirely CGI backdrop is just sumptuous. There are some cracks in the CGI armor (such as the CGI Russian doggo, or Groot at times), but it isn’t Disney+ TV show level of bad by any stretch. Fine details are excellent, and shadow details superb. If this copy is anything to go by, the 4K and Blu-ray should look stunning.

Audio:
4.jpeg
The Dolby Atmos streaming track was a bit better than I expected too. I’ve become cynical about “atmouse” tracks from post Disney Marvel, but this is an impressive sounding mix. It’s a full blown action track with high surround usage and massive overhead activity from the constant explosions, creaking and snapping of ship parts, and spaceships hurtling through space. Dialogue is crisp and clear, and bass is actually not bad. I won’t say it was reference material, but definitely hits harder than most Marvel Amos tracks. AS USUAL, the track is recorded a bit low, but only 2-3 DB’s lower than average, and once level boosted sounds perfectly fine.

Extras: :2.5stars:
5.jpg
• The Imperfect, perfect family
• Creating Rocket Raccoon
• Gag Reel
• Deleted Scenes
• Director's Commentary
• Trailer

Final Score: :4stars:

I’m actually glad that Guardians of the Galaxy is wrapping up. It’s bitter sweet to see one of the better MCU groups go out, but Marvel and James Gunn wrapped up the series with a bang. Not to mention that I sort of am glad that they aren’t stretching this out in perpetuity like they have with so many other characters. This follows the days of old where a studio would complete a film set’s arc, and let it ride off into the sunset instead of milking it forever. Was it perfect? No, there are some flaws in it (such as the over use of 90s music as a score, Adam Warlock being criminally underused, and the Gamora storyline going where it did). But overall it was a fun film and will be the second Phase 4/5 film that I eagerly look forward to purchasing.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Chris Pratt, Chukwudi Iwuji, Bradley Cooper, Dave Bautista, Karen Gillan, Vin Diesel, Sean Gunn, Will Poulter, Zoe Saldano
Directed by: James Gunn
Written by: James Gunn, Jim Starlin
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1/1.85:1 IMAX
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos
Subtitles: English
Studio: Disney/Fox
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 151 Minutes
Digital Release Date: April 7th, 2023

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
We saw this in the theater as well as the original and the second one.. This franchise will be missed. We thought they did an excellent job here wrapping it all up. Must have for fans.

Top Bottom