Graphic problem with waterfall diagram - Linux

marco_76

Registered
Hi,

I'm using REW with Debian Stretch / XFCE. It was working in the past (~2 years ago), but now I ran in an issue with the waterfall diagram. When I hit "generate" I don't see the result and the GUI becomes slow (e.g. the menus at the top don't open reliable). When I go back to e.g. SPL & Phase everything goes back to normal. Spectrogram and Decay work without issues. I read that it might be due to a bug in Java and I tried the entry "-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True" in the file roomeqwizard.vmoptions, but that didn't change anything. If you need more info, please let me know.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The couple of times that has come up the vmoptions entry fixed it. If it is the same issue the log files will have "not implemented yet" exceptions logged, the location of the log files is shown in the About REW dialog.

marco_76

Registered
Thanks for the reply. I have entries like:

""
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-1" java.lang.InternalError: not implemented yet
at sun.java2d.xr.XRSurfaceData.getRaster(XRSurfaceData.java:72)
at sun.java2d.loops.Blit$AnyBlit.Blit(Blit.java:163)"

in the log file. I tried -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false, but it didn't help. Is this the correct entry?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True is the entry that should switch the JVM to using the OpenGL pipeline and avoid the internal partial implementation. If you attach the log file I'll see if there is any other way to avoid the problematic methods.

marco_76

Registered
Thanks for the help. I attached the log file.

Attachments

• roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    124 bytes · Views: 1
  • roomeq_wizard1.log.txt
    82.5 KB · Views: 2

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That's the same issue. Please attach a copy of your roomeqwizard.vmoptions file (may need to change it to .txt to attach it).

marco_76

Registered
Here it is:

Attachments

• roomeqwizard (copy 1).txt
    265 bytes · Views: 8

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That one doesn't have the opengl entry though, you are certain that doesn't work? Another option you can try is:

-Dsun.java2d.xrender=true

marco_76

Registered
That one doesn't have the opengl entry though, you are certain that doesn't work? Another option you can try is:

You mean it wasn't the correct entry? I tried -Dsun.java2d.xrender=true and it also doesn' t work. Can it also play a role that I'm using a compositor (Compton) or isn't this related?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The correct entry is -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True, that worked for the previous reports. OpenGL would need to be installed on the system though.

The xrender option should work for X11 systems, could try

-Dsun.java2d.opengl=false

marco_76

Registered
Hm.. none of them work. With the xrender option the GUI becomes glitchy.
FK6uKfh.png

"

marco_76

Registered
Ah... you mean both? Let me check this.
edit: Both entries also doesn't work.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
OK, then I would stick with -Dsun.java2d.opengl=True in the vmoptions file and try to get that working. If you are launching REW from a console then info may be logged to the console if OpenGL can't be used. If your graphics card has OpenGL drivers available may be worth installing them.

marco_76

Registered
I think OpenGL is installed as I get

glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6

There's also no more info when starting REW from the console. I can try to use a live system of a different distro. I heard that there are some bug in MESA 13, maybe it's because of that?
On the other hand: Does the Waterfall diagram give me more info than the Spectrogram? I just could use the Spectrogram view instead.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The spectrogram and waterfall are different presentations of the same info, so could use the spectrogram.

Mesa is software rendering but should still work. May be worth trying drivers from the graphics card vendor anyway.

marco_76

Registered
The spectrogram and waterfall are different presentations of the same info, so could use the spectrogram.

Mesa is software rendering but should still work. May be worth trying drivers from the graphics card vendor anyway.

I don't have an external graphic card at all. It's just an intel Haswell onboard chip (i915) on my i5 processor.

Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.Org 1.19.2 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6

I will try the MXLinux live system. Good that I still can trust the spectrogram view.

Top Bottom