Goodbye 2 Channel Stereo and HELLO Atmos Music

The truth has been revealed, more is better. Two channel is better than mono, multi-channel is better two channel, and immersive audio is better than multi channel according to the engineers at Abbey Road studios. The recent AES conference before covid was all about "immersive audio"

If you are late to the party check out Doby's upcoming webinar series on Atmos Music creation:

If you don't have an immersive rig setup yet watch how they roll at Abbey Road and it is pretty easy:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Monolith HTP-1 Processor (Movies and Surround)
Main Amp
Sanders Sound System Magtech (Dual)
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-Eleven
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
DAC
miniDSP SHD (Two-Channel Music Only)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for movies only)
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Renaissance ESL 15A
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
MartinLogan EFX Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
SVS SB16-Ultra x4 (music) + PB16-Ultra x2 (movies)
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-NX9
Screen
Elite 128" Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Roku Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
I watched/listened to Roger Waters The Wall with Atmos. It was good... I liked it... but it in no way replaces my two-channel music listening.

Don't miss tomorrows webinar on Dolby Atmos Music offered by John Ceri from Dolby. The intended audience is professional content creators and engineers and will likely lay out a roadmap of where these formats are heading:

FargateOne

My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rotel 1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Once upon a time, 2 speakers were the minimum acceptable, then, 6 then, 8 now no less than 16...somebody makes money with something. Just a thought. Atmos music may be better but how many of us serious amateurs are able to follow the rising costs curve. Only a few I presume.

Once upon a time, 2 speakers were the minimum acceptable, then, 6 then, 8 now no less than 16...somebody makes money with something. Just a thought. Atmos music may be better but how many of us serious amateurs are able to follow the rising costs curve. Only a few I presume.
That is a great point and brings up another question, how do you allocate your budget? If I were going purely two channel I would allocate more to two speakers than splitting the budget between 11 speakers in a 7.1.4 setup right? At the end of the day you have to make tradeoffs. The thing about Atmos music is they made it backward compatible so you can listen in two channel, it works in a car, etc. I am hoping they address some of those questions in the webinar series.

Mastering class on Dolby Atmos coming up:

Top Bottom