Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Movie: :3.5stars:
4K Video: :4.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :4stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

It seems like everyone and their mother has begun copying the unified world building that Marvel started 11 years ago, with DC trying it, the TV world trying it, and now even Warner Brothers has begun their “Monsterverse” with Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island being the first ones, and Godzilla: King of the Monsters being the followup (and actually predecessor to what is most CERTAINLY a King Kong vs. Godzilla film in the next few years) in the new WB created Monsterverse. The film also acts as a compliment to the classic Toho 15 film set of original Godzilla movies coming out from Criterion this year (I’m literally squirming in excitement to grab that one), and a film that garnered some mixed, to negative, reviews when it came out theatrically due to how rabid the fanbase is over their pop culture icon. While it IS a minor step down from 2014’s Godzilla (which also suffered from some mixed reviews from the fanbase who was expecting something more like the Toho films), King of the Monsters is still a mindlessly fun monster movie that brings in some classic characters to battle with the A-list lizard on the big screen, with modern special effects and high class sound mixing.

The initial critical reviews when King of the Monsters hit theaters mainly focused around the bland human characters, the pacing, and whatnot, but that was only the symptom of an underlying condition on the film. Which was “too much, too many, and too chaotic as a result”. Simply put, the creators took the concept of the 2014 Godzilla return and just crammed EVERY villain and monster they could in the films 132 minute runtime, and that includes the human characters. Humanity is suffering from the fallout of a post Godzilla world and his battle in San Francisco a few years back. Scientists Mark Russell (Kyle Chandler) and his wife Dr. Emma Russell (Vera Farmiga) suffered loss of their baby boy during the San Francisco battle, which has seriously strained their marriage. Emma and their daughter Madison (Millie Bobby Brown) are working on a giant machine to take and modify the newly discovered Titans on earth (of which there are now dozens found in hibernation, including Mothra, Rodan, and more Mutos), while Mark satiates his grief and anger by heading out into the wilderness to study wildlife.

However, everything is thrown into disarray when a paramilitary group headed by one Alan Jonah (Charles Dance) starts breaking in and stealing Titan DNA from the various hibernating creatures. Madison and Dr. Russell are kidnapped in the process, forcing the secret government agency Monarch into bringing Mark Russell back so as to use his expertise in tracking them down. Unfortunately for them, a simple rescue operation turns the world on its end when it’s realized what Alan Jonah and his paramilitary force are really after. The location of a super secret Titan whose existence has been kept a secret due to his great power. Ghidorah, the three headed dragon. Jonah’s plan is not just to steal DNA from them, but to actually UNLEASH Ghidorah (and the rest of the Titans) on the world in some gigantic plan to reset humanity back to the stone age, where we can try to compete on Earth once more, just without the technology and nations that have allowed us to run a muck.

The basics of the plot boil down to the very basic idea of Eco-terorrists with monsters. A small faction wants to watch the world burn and start us over from ground zero because we’re to blame for the world’s problems, while the other side believes “we can change!” and there’s still hope for humanity. Throw that sub plot into a giant Godzilla monster movie and this is what you get with King of the Monsters. Now, I didn’t think the criticisms of this film was completely justified when I saw it in theaters. I mean, I certainly see it as on par with Kong: Skull Island and not on par with the original 2014 Godzilla, but I seriously had a good time with in the theaters. Fast forward a few months to the home video release and I still hold those same opinions. There are too many sub plots and too many villains for Godzilla to fight against (enough for several sequels in fact), but for someone who just wanted to see Godzilla stomp and atomic breathe a bunch of other monsters, this was a stupidly good time that had me pushing popcorn into my face with gusto.

Once again, the human characters are the weakest part of the movie, and many of the human eco-terrorist sub plots could have been trimmed, or cut out completely, without any negative impact on the movie at all. Even just keeping Charle’s Dance’s character trying to unleash Ghidorah and cutting out everything else would have been PERFECT, as that’s all we were really there to see. An excuse for Godzilla coming out of the ocean and pimp slapping some more monsters back to the stone age. Period, end of story. The acting itself is really not bad at all, its just simply too much story in the film, making it feel overstuffed and bloated.

Rating:

Rated PG-13 for sequences of monster action violence and destruction, and for some language

4K Video: :4.5stars: Video: :4.5stars:
King of the Monsters comes from another 2K master that’s been upscaled to 4K UHD, but it’s one of the better looking upscales I’ve seen, mainly due to the excellent color grading and use of HDR+ and Dolby Vision. The old Godzilla 2014 film was known as a MASSIVE stress test of your displays black levels, and while it’s still a dark movie, King of the Monsters is a bit more color filled and less deeply black than its predecessor. The darkness of underwater as the crew is tracking Godzilla himself is offset by the bright blues and whites of the arctic home to Ghidora, or the bright orange and red of Rodan’s Latin American home of fire and dirt. Skin tones inside the more sterile looking home base of the humans is excellent, and fine details are resplendent. There are no signs of banding except for under water (there always is banding underwater) and only moderate black crush. The upgrades over the Blu-ray are quite apparent in close ups, and ESPECIALLY with the HDR 10+ additions. Those reds and blues and oranges that were so great on the Blu-ray literally pop off the screen in comparison, with lush saturation levels and some black levels that are sickeningly deep and show much better detail levels in those dark shots.

Audio: :5stars:
Warner is one of the “good guys” when it comes to their Atmos tracks, being kind enough to put them on the Blu-ray AND the 4K UHD disc (well, outside of the 3D Blu-ray which is a downgraded 5.1 DTS-HD MA track). Like they are usual to do, there IS a supplementary 5.1 Dolby Digital track, but it is NOT chosen by default, and instead the Atmos track is the default playing track

Now, no one was expecting a weak and mild audio mix for a Godzilla film, and you won’t be disappointed with it either. The mix is hard, loud, aggressive, and just rippling with sonic low end power from beginning to end. The rumble of the ships, the roar of Godzilla himself, as well as the crash and smashing of the battles between Godzilla and the rest of the Titans is literally epic in nature. The surrounds and overheads are awash with discrete background noises, ranging from the thudding of helicopter rotors, to the swooshing and swirling of water and wind as massive wings beat down from above and around the listening position. With that added height layer (due to the larger than life nature of Godzilla and his enemies) the sonic immersion is absolutely incredible and makes this a perfect audio mix to the core. The LFE is simply punishing and truly 5 star worthy, but I must make an important distinctive comparison to the 2014 Godzilla. That bass was jaw droppingly hot, but it had a negative connotation. As much as I loved loud and hot, Godzilla 2014 was full of baked in clipping as the mix was just STUPIDLY hot. The LFE is more dialed in here, and instead of just being loud for the sake of loud, it has a more refined and clean sound to it as the mixers didn’t over cook the bass in an effort to create a loudness war. Don’t get me wrong, when Ghidora slams his feet down, or Godzilla powers it there is bass a PLENTY, it’s just not bloated and overcooked, presenting itself more cleanly and clearly, which sounds much nicer when comparing both tracks side by side.

Extras: :4stars:
• Audio Commentary by Director
• Godzilla: Nature's Fearsome Guardian
• Mothra: Queen of the Monsters
• King Ghidorah: The Living Extinction Machine
• Rodan: Airborne God of Fire
• Godzilla 2.0
• Making Morthra
• Creating Ghidorah
• Reimagining Rodan
• The Yunnan Temple
• Castle Bravo
• The Antarctic Base
• The Isla de Mara Volcano
• The Undersea Lair
• Millie Bobby Brown: Force of Nature
• Monster Tech: Monarch Joins the Fight
• Monsters Are Real
• Welcome to the Monsterverse
• Deleted Scenes

Final Score: :4stars:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a fun movie, but one with a few flaws that have it ever so slightly lower rated than the 2014 re imagining of the iconic lizard. The plot is a bit overstuffed and crams a lot of his villains and allies into one single movie, instead of fleshing them out over several. It also once again focuses on the human characters just a bit too much, which creates a rather bland center section of the movie, and by the time the full on chaos and insanity of the multi monster fight truly begins it’s almost too little too late if you know what I mean. Still, this is a Godzilla film, and there’s plenty of crunching, munching and smashing to keep me fully entertained. This is a demo disc from beginning to end in both video and audio, and whether you get it on 4K UHD or Blu-ray, is just pure stupid fun. The extras are rather copious for once, and with the high technical specs makes for a no brainer if you’ve been keeping up with Warner’s “Monsterverse” that was stated 5 years ago. Fun Watch.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, Ken Watanabe, Ziyi Zhang, Bradley Whitford, Sally Hawkins, Charles Dance, Thomas Middleditch
Directed by: Michael Dougherty
Written by: Michael Dougherty, Zack Sheilds
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1), English, French , Spanish DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, French SDH, Spanish, Arabic, Korean, Mandarin (Simplified), Mandarin (Traditional)
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 132 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: Own Godzilla: King of the Monsters on DVD Special Edition, Blu-ray Combo Pack, and 4K UHD Combo Pack on August 27, or Own It Early on Digital on August 13.

Recommendation: Fun Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I am a fan of Godzilla ever since I saw the earlier version's when I was a kid. Will check it out. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I’m in on this JUST for the audio. Sweet review Mike!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Yep... gotta have it... always loved Godzilla movies.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I just watched the latest Jurassic World flick. I actually enjoyed it :hide:... the audio was dynamic, but the bass just seemed so one dimensional. Deep booms, but not nuanced. It sounds like this Godzilla flick has what I'm looking for in the low-end dept!

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
The only reason to watch this movie is for the LFE. The storyline reminds me of the old days when they were speaking Japanese with English dubbed in on top. Yes, it's that bad. I think what I said in the Movie Roll Call: What have you seen lately? thread will hold true - this will be a drinking game movie. And what the heck is up with a woolly mammoth monster? I don't recall there ever being one of those? What's it's special power? Bionic dung tossing? Guess I'm not that caught up on the 'Titans'.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
lol, I COULD be wrong, but it sounds like you weren't a fan of the movie? :greengrin:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Watched it last night... loved it... definitely a keeper... and I agree with you Michael... a great demo movie for audio and video.

I actually thought the storyline was a good one for a Godzilla movie... actually a better storyline than any of the others I've watched.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Well Sonnie and I are definitely not in sympatico! :rofl2: I just wish they could actually write a decent storyline to one of these Godzilla movies. I'm with the rotten tomato folks on this one - special effects and booming bass are no substitute for a decent storyline.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Well you said you were drinking for the movie, which may explain things... you probably didn't remember much of it. At least that's my theory... being I never have been a drinker. :whistling:

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
No I said this movie will be made into a drinking game. :sneeky: I'll definitely be drinking if I have to watch it again! :rofl:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Ohhhh.... my bad... thought you meant it made you drink. I figured you were chugging early on and lost track of it by the end. :wink:

Top Bottom