Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I've been meaning to post this article for a couple days now. It's both amusing and down to earth regarding ultra-hifi systems.

https://www.13thnote.net/2020/07/29...playing it,is essentially the same experience.

I get it. Spending what amounts to a house down payment for some components might seem ridiculous and not worth it in the sense of diminishing returns but I still find all that fun...just listening to what all the money can sound like.

What are all your thoughts on the mega HiFi systems out there? Do you enjoy their presence in our hobby? Or would you not blink an eye if it all disappeared tomorrow?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I've heard systems supposedly valued at $200K... bunches at $100K and no telling how many at $50K+. Yes, many of them at audio shows with limited rooms to work with. However, most of the more expensive systems has very large rooms and went all out with treatments, etc. They sounded great... fabulous... etc. However, so does my system, and it did not cost anywhere near those systems. I can literally spend less than $10K and get the same great sound they get with $200K. Yep... that's listening with my ears, and that's the limitation... our ears. Perhaps others may listen to both and say the $200K sounds better, but I fail to hear it because my ears just can't hear it being any better. Nonetheless, I can't take away the fact that other ears believe these systems are superior... perhaps they are, but if I can't hear it, I can't fork out the cash for it... not that I could afford a $200K system anyway.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
I think it's fascinating how components work in the context of system synergy. Over the course of a year I've tried to get my 2-channel music system to sound more involving and to connect me more emotionally to the music. I've tried different streaming services, various amp/DAC combinations, even swapping out speakers to find that magic combination. After all the headache (it WAS fun though!) it turned out all I needed was a small $129.99 DAC made by ifi, called the 'Zen.' I don't know why and I'm attributing it to the system synergy but now my original system sounds more involving than anything else I've heard in recent memory. I actually don't desire to change anything anymore for my 2-channel : ) Interesting!

Coy Ramsey

More  
Yamaha Aventage RX-A660 AVR
Other Amp
4 Yamaha WX50 amps for MusicCast distributed audio
Sony X700
Front Speakers
Elac Debut 2.0 BS5.2
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Ultra center to replace Elac Debut 2.0 CC5.2
Surround Speakers
Polk in-wall
Rear Height Speakers
Polk in-ceiling
Subwoofers
RSL Speedwoofer 10s
Episode ceiling speakers for 4 distributed zones
Video Display Device
Samsung
Screen
65"
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
Streaming Subscriptions
Spotify Prem, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video
Other Equipment
Episode in-ceiling for distributed audio into 4 zones
I've heard systems supposedly valued at $200K... bunches at $100K and no telling how many at $50K+. Yes, many of them at audio shows with limited rooms to work with. However, most of the more expensive systems has very large rooms and went all out with treatments, etc. They sounded great... fabulous... etc. However, so does my system, and it did not cost anywhere near those systems. I can literally spend less than $10K and get the same great sound they get with $200K. Yep... that's listening with my ears, and that's the limitation... our ears. Perhaps others may listen to both and say the $200K sounds better, but I fail to hear it because my ears just can't hear it being any better. Nonetheless, I can't take away the fact that other ears believe these systems are superior... perhaps they are, but if I can't hear it, I can't fork out the cash for it... not that I could afford a $200K system anyway.
I agree, fortunately the law of diminishing returns kicks in early for me with my old ears and damaged hearing ! At some point you just gotta say "good enuf" and enjoy your system. I'm finding that selecting better source material seems to give me more improvement than changing components. But there is something strangely satisfying about getting new hardware, whether it improves sound quality or not. BTW - I scanned through your system, looks very nice by my standards !

k7kz

Registered
More  
Denon AVR-X6700H
Oppo UDP-205
Front Speakers
Klipsch
Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch
Surround Speakers
Klipsch
Surround Back Speakers
Klipsch
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch
Rear Height Speakers
Klipsch
Subwoofers
Klipsch
Video Display Device
Sony
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony
I agree, fortunately the law of diminishing returns kicks in early for me with my old ears and damaged hearing ! At some point you just gotta say "good enuf" and enjoy your system. I'm finding that selecting better source material seems to give me more improvement than changing components. But there is something strangely satisfying about getting new hardware, whether it improves sound quality or not. BTW - I scanned through your system, looks very nice by my standards !

You are certainly not alone. At 75 and with tinnitus, I still enjoy my music and movies but resign myself to the fact that I will never hear it all again.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Yamaha RXA800, Denon AVR-X4500, Lexicon MC10
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Abacus Ampino, Triode Corp TRV-35SE
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
Soundfield Cardioid Rythmik Servo
AVA ABX
...just listening to what all the money can sound like.
I took a $20 bill from my wallet and it made no sound at all. Maybe I should borrow a $10k note from Sonnie?
It appears many people do believe audio systems emit monetary notes and correlate this to ("sound") quality.
A well established factor (except to them of course) https://www.pnas.org/content/105/3/1050

What are all your thoughts on the mega HiFi systems out there?
They range from very good to downright terrible...Stereo.
Of which there is little "Fidelity", unless High. :)
https://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=9136

Btw, that was fun reading, I largely skipped thru article and went straight to comments, where the entertainment began. Thanks.

cheers

Top Bottom