Floyd Toole: Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms (AES Presents) 3rd Edition - Discussion Thread

AJ Soundfield

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXA800, Denon AVR-X4500, Lexicon MC10
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Abacus Ampino, Triode Corp TRV-35SE
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
Soundfield Cardioid Rythmik Servo
Other Speakers or Equipment
AVA ABX
Interesting discussion with the CEO of Dirac Research. Some of it is specific to how Dirac works, but it's also a good general discussion of time domain and frequency domain issues and possible methods of correction.
Wow, things went south by 19m and by 32m I had heard enough. I now understand why no comments were allowed and also what Toole meant when he said he has spoken to these types at conferences and it is very clear there are large holes in their knowledge base in key areas outside DSP.

In the video I posted above Johannson spends a lot of time talking about what can/should be corrected and what will cause more harm than good. I don't think I have read anything from Toole on Impulse Response correction, nor do I recall any of the other room correction systems talking about it.
The impulse and the frequency response are the same thing, viewed differently. The FR is convolved mathematically from the impulse.
If by impulse response "correction", you mean "fixing" "timing", he most certain has addressed this with of course references the results of valid controlled tests. IIRC section 7.6.4 and 7.6.5 of book. Will double check later, been busy with orders lately.

cheers

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
Well... been reading a lot lately... lol... but I'll eventually get around to watching it.
Per our phone discussion last week... you know I've made a lot of changes to the acoustics in the room.
This really shouldn't have an effect on your bass/setup so again, I presume at least that has been done via the SHD.
(Fixing) bass SQ has a huge impact on the entire frequency range perceived. Something like 30% if you watch the Toole vid, I think he mentions in there.

perhaps Toole would never approve of the JBL SDP-75... that has the Trinnov Optimizer that provides automated multi-point Room EQ, with HARMAN optimization parameters and target responses from HARMAN X research... AND uses a single microphone at various listening positions...
I know you dont read my links so I'll include the relevant quotes.
https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/...te-real-world-home-theater-and-listening-room
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-without-measurement.7127/page-3#post-162798
The short story is that steady-state in-room measurements reveal nothing reliable about the performance of the loudspeaker, which is the essential starting point for understanding potential sound quality. It is essential to have comprehensive anechoic data on the loudspeaker in order to interpret room curves. If you have such anechoic data in the right format it is possible to predict the steady-state room curve above about 500 Hz in normally reflective rooms. It is also possible to calculate a prediction of subjective ratings in double-blind tests. If one has access to such data choosing a neutral sounding loudspeaker is easy. Without it, it is a crapshoot.
So, if one has a known neutral loudspeaker what does "room EQ" bring to the party? Above about 500 Hz, very little that is reliable - mostly general spectral trends; not detailed irregularities, for reasons mentioned in my last post. At low frequencies equalization is almost certainly beneficial and easily measured steady-state data are all that is necessary. The most important curve is the one measured where you are listening, not averaged over the room or multiple seat listening area. The latter obviously represents an average, not what is truly heard at any seat. It is popular because it makes curves look so much better. One can have an audience EQ and a personal EQ in some flexible systems.
A free measurement system like REW is excellent. The next step is to find prominent spectral peaks below about 500 Hz and attenuate them using a parametric equalizer, another relatively simple task if one has access to DSP in the signal path. Avoid filling narrow dips. They are not as audible as they are visible - humans respond readily to excessive sound at specific frequencies (resonances) but largely ignore narrow dips; an absence or deficiency in sound. The major commercial algorithms differ mainly in how they decide which peaks to attenuate and which dips to fill. Doing it manually allows one to decide by ear which actions are the most beneficial. Often only minor intervention is necessary.
When I see extremely flat and smooth high resolution full bandwidth room curves it is an indication that some things were done that probably should not have been done. :)
I have one of those all-singing-dancing-highly-advertised-elaborately-mathematical processors. It took manual intervention to restore the inherent excellence of my neutral loudspeakers after "room EQ".
This is a work in progress. One definitely needs mathematics and DSP skills, but one also needs the acoustical and psychoacoustic knowledge to provide the necessary guidance and discipline. In some of the systems it is evident that the latter elements are deficient. The profit motive is obvious though. Note that most of the room EQ algorithms come from companies that do not make loudspeakers.
cheers

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
This really shouldn't have an effect on your bass/setup so again, I presume at least that has been done via the SHD.
(Fixing) bass SQ has a huge impact on the entire frequency range perceived. Something like 30% if you watch the Toole vid, I think he mentions in there.

I know you dont read my links so I'll include the relevant quotes.
https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/...te-real-world-home-theater-and-listening-room

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...y-without-measurement.7127/page-3#post-162798

cheers
What do you mean I don't read your links... I LOVE your links and always read them. I'm not as fast as you in picking things up. You have to remember, I am a novice, you are a professional. You build speakers and know at least 20 times more than I do about all of it. I don't always remember it all... information overload. Ask me about the Bible... ask me about the firearm business... I am very knowledgeable on those to topics. When it comes to audio, I'm still learning... AND I'm a slow reader.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
That was a joke.
Ok you read sloooow.
But thats no excuse for video!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Okay... so I now seriously scratching my head. Toole owns all Harman gear... and he uses the SDP-75? Back to my conspiracy theory.

The reason I said Toole would not agree with the SDP-75 is because it corrects full range, uses full range recommended target curves and places the mic at the listening position. It goes against everything he doesn't agree with. What am I missing here?

From the SDP-75 manual...

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
I'm also not grasping why he would place the Salon 2 speakers right up against the wall. Every review I've read of these and comments from owners indicate they need to be pulled out into the room a bit. Of course if his room is only used for movies, it probably doesn't matter (wouldn't to me), but for music listening, I think I've only heard one pair of speakers that sounded just okay against the wall, but they lacked any depth acuity.

Oh... and FWIW... I ordered a pair of F228Be Revel's, one of their newer updated versions of the F208 that has been and still is very well liked among enthusiast. Excited to see what they'll sound like in my room.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
What do you mean I don't read your links... I LOVE your links and always read them.

Okay... so I now seriously scratching my head. Toole owns all Harman gear... and he uses the SDP-75? Back to my conspiracy theory.
The reason I said Toole would not agree with the SDP-75 is because it corrects full range, uses full range recommended target curves and places the mic at the listening position. It goes against everything he doesn't agree with. What am I missing here?

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/f...tion-discussion-thread.8267/page-5#post-62871
I have one of those all-singing-dancing-highly-advertised-elaborately-mathematical processors. It took manual intervention to restore the inherent excellence of my neutral loudspeakers after "room EQ".

I'm also not grasping why he would place the Salon 2 speakers right up against the wall.

They are not up against the wall. The Salons are 2' deep! From my link :whistling:

Oh... and FWIW... I ordered a pair of F228Be Revel's, one of their newer updated versions of the F208 that has been and still is very well liked among enthusiast. Excited to see what they'll sound like in my room.

:spend::spend::spend:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Yeah... looking at the pics of his room... I'm not seeing 2ft of space behind those speakers. They appear to have a slight angle to them, but nothing like the diagram shows.

I'd be very curious how he determined and what adjustments he made to get his speakers back to neutral.

andyc56

Floyd has said in another thread that the speakers were mounted that way because of earthquakes. They are also upside down. Here's the post where he talks about that.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Yeah, I've seen that but still it just makes me wonder why he wouldn't have them farther out from the wall and maybe bolted to the floor.

Is there no coverage for earthquakes available in your homeowner's insurance?

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
IIRC, he has the Salons embedded in the wall structure and not angled.
Well you've been there and I haven't...but the pic above seems to match the layout drawing. The "wall" behind the Salon appears to be a panel (perhaps drywall or a board painted to match) and the real wall is at the depth of the sculpture niche.
Regardless, you're probably the only one here who know how it sounds. I would suspect just based on the images shown, good. Especially since it's NOT a "stereo" system.

cheers

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
Yeah... looking at the pics of his room... I'm not seeing 2ft of space behind those speakers. They appear to have a slight angle to them, but nothing like the diagram shows.
To me it looks exactly like the diagram, the room wall being the thick black line.

I'd be very curious how he determined and what adjustments he made to get his speakers back to neutral.
Marc linked it earlier and I'm just getting a chance to read. You should too.:)
It's largely Toole being quoted verbatim, not the OP. But for you Sonnie...
Now, if you measure such a curve or something very close to it, and your speakers are conventional forward firing designs, it means that you probably have chosen well. Small tilt-like deviations may be seen and broadband tone-control-like adjustments can be made to achieve a satisfactory overall spectral balance. No small detail adjustments should be made because it is highly likely that they are acoustical interference (non-minimum-phase) phenomena that two ears and a brain interpret as innocent spaciousness - room sound. "Correcting" these is likely to degrade the audible performance of truly good loudspeakers - unfortunately this behavior is not uncommon in auto-EQ algorithms created by companies that do not make loudspeakers. Their marketing philosophy is that their magic can make any loudspeaker in any room into a perfect system. Sorry, but a small omni mic and an analyzer are not the equivalent of two ears and a brain. It is not uncommon to be forced to override auto EQ with manual adjustments to restore the inherent sound quality of excellent loudspeakers. In some cases the "off" icon is the preferred solution.
Forgiveness if he sounds an awful lot like me, I think he's been reading my online rants for years.
;)
cheers

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Let's just call it what it is. If there is a panel up against the back of the speaker, they are not pulled out into the room... and if they are anchored to withstand earthquakes, I'd imagine that panel behind the speaker is more like a very sturdy reinforced wall. Why would you anchor speakers to withstand an earthquake and put a flimsy wall behind them... you wouldn't. It is the wall. He just left the cutout for the sculpture. I do agree though... doesn't seem like it would be for stereo music listening.

I did read what Marc linked, but that does not answer what I am looking for. I am talking about specifics, not generalities. What exactly did he adjust, what did he hear or measure that he didn't like, how did he measure it and from where did he measure it. He does not get into specifics about it. It would be interesting to know for me... others may not care.

I am still going to stick with my opinion (and that's all it is at this point) that I'm not going to discount Dirac and Audolense/Accourate full range correction until he or someone else tests the new technology that is used today, and supposedly improved upon over just the last few months. Toole does say that correcting these is "likely" to degrade the audible performance... which leaves him with at least some slight doubt they might be okay. Yet, he has no proof of that statement other than with what he has used with the JBL/Trinnov system. He cannot with any proof say the same about Dirac... and even more so with Audiolense/Accourate who use much more hands on analyzing and filtering than the auto-EQ systems built-in. The latest Audiolense is even able to differentiate between direct and reflections, and Toole has not tested this latest version. Until he does, he should not be discounting it, nor should anyone else. I'll suggest doing exactly what he did... do it, listen, if you don't like it, fix it... or vice-versa. It's easy to see he's much more biased that it won't work so he's likely never going to change his mind, regardless.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
I did read what Marc linked, but that does not answer what I am looking for. I am talking about specifics, not generalities. What exactly did he adjust, what did he hear or measure that he didn't like, how did he measure it and from where did he measure it. He does not get into specifics about it. It would be interesting to know for me... others may not care.
My post above was prior to slogging the whole thread. For a slow reader you managed to cover the whole thing quickly. I just finished.
Post #3
I have one of the most powerful and expensive multichannel processors on the market, widely praised for its processing power and complicated signal processing. It is enormously flexible, clearly designed by smart people in the math and DSP categories, but equally clearly these people did not understand the acoustics and psychoacoustics of loudspeakers and rooms - my speciality. The result is that, in its self-calibration mode it does things that should not be done.
I won't go into the details of my history with this unit, but it began with a setup procedure, using their proprietary microphone, spatial averaging with weighted mic locations, and allusions to combined IIR and FIR processing promising a very special result.
It was indeed special, because the superb sound of my Revel Salon2s was clearly degraded. Measurements I made with REW disagreed with the unit's displayed result, but agreed with my ears. With help from a product specialist, manual EQ overrides were able to restore the essence of good sound.

Some subsequent fiddles have taken it to the point that I can enjoy programs, but only by overriding or disabling some of the internal processes. I know that there are other digital equalizers with problems. All originate with clever math/DSP engineers doing things that may make academic sense, but that pay insufficient attention to the peculiarities of human perception. At professional audio gatherings I have had extended discussions/arguments with some of their engineers. It has always come down to opinion, not fact, and the opinions are inclined to enhance the customers' perceived value in the product. It is part of a mighty struggle to be different or distinctive in a product that delivers something that nowadays many people can do for themselves with off-the-shelf DSP, free measurement software and a $100 mic. None of these processes are supported by published double-blind subjective evaluations. Tell me if I am wrong.

I am still going to stick with my opinion (and that's all it is at this point)
As mentioned above.

I'm not going to discount Dirac and Audolense/Accourate full range correction until he or someone else tests the new technology that is used today, and supposedly improved upon over just the last few months. Toole does say that correcting these is "likely" to degrade the audible performance... which leaves him with at least some slight doubt they might be okay. Yet, he has no proof of that statement other than with what he has used with the JBL/Trinnov system. He cannot with any proof say the same about Dirac... and even more so with Audiolense/Accourate who use much more hands on analyzing and filtering than the auto-EQ systems built-in. The latest Audiolense is even able to differentiate between direct and reflections, and Toole has not tested this latest version. Until he does, he should not be discounting it, nor should anyone else. I'll suggest doing exactly what he did... do it, listen, if you don't like it, fix it... or vice-versa.
https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/logicalfallacies/Shifting-of-the-Burden-of-Proof
And since the claimers/peddlers never will do the tests, the loop is complete and your opinion/belief is safe. :)
Btw, can you furnish proof Dirac and Audolense/Accourate work audibly same/better/worse than Trinnov? I've never seen any such papers.

It's easy to see he's much more biased that it won't work so he's likely never going to change his mind, regardless.
Agree it's easy to see the bias, minds never changed, belief, etc.
Been in audio for a while.

cheers

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
And since the claimers/peddlers never will do the tests, the loop is complete and your opinion/belief is safe. :)

If they did, should their results be believed if they favored their product?

Regarding Dr. Toole’s post above, did he mention elsewhere what specifically he found wrong when results were measured with REW? Not doubting, just trying to better understand. The part about “manual EQ overrides” would also be interesting to know more about.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
If they did, should their results be believed if they favored their product?
If it is a valid, peer reviewed AES, ASA etc variety, yes of course!
Ideally, it would be replicated, confirmed, but that first step is critical.
Of course, anyone who understands speakers design, perception, acoustics, etc, etc. knows that's a rhetorical question.
And hopefully you've caught from my posted tests that vs, zero EQ and/or with poor loudspeaker, it's actually beneficial. Hence...

Regarding Dr. Toole’s post above, did he mention elsewhere what specifically he found wrong when results were measured with REW? Not doubting, just trying to better understand. The part about “manual EQ overrides” would also be interesting to know more about.
If I were to guess, he measured form 1m +/- and saw what happened > 500hz. As I have explained, what I hope would be an incredibly simply concept, linear/neutral + (Room) EQ = non-linear/non-neutral.
Do you know any speaker designers that design-measure from the easy chair across the room 3-4m away?
Ask any if that makes sense.

cheers

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
He does use it as a "stereo" with stereo sources up-mixed.
That's exactly why I added quotes. IOW, "stereo" sound isn't just coming from the "eyes say poorly placed wall mounted" LR Salons.
Unusual setup, maybe, but its clearly a "living" room (unlike Sonnies dedicated space).
I suspect he knows what he's doing.

Edit BTW, a quick reminder to all how long so called "Room Correction" has been around

cheers

Kal Rubinson

That's exactly why I added quotes. IOW, "stereo" sound isn't just coming from the "eyes say poorly placed wall mounted" LR Salons.
Unusual setup, maybe, but its clearly a "living" room (unlike Sonnies dedicated space).
I suspect he knows what he's doing.
Yes. What I appreciated was that, despite his academic background and credits, he is very practical.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Well he did state... Measurements I made with REW disagreed with the unit's displayed result, but agreed with my ears.

When I have compared what Dirac measures to what REW measures, it's the same. In his case it was not with Trinnov. I've never used Trinnov myself.

Still curious about what specifically was his issue. He gave broad generalities of the issue... I get the gest of it. It would be nice to know the gooey details from someone with his credentials.

I also caught that he likes to upmix his stereo, so maybe that negates the necessity of having the speakers pulled out into the room. I prefer two-channel, although I did like Wish You Were Here in multi-channel. It's definitely a different sound. I dunno... when I've tried upmixing, it just sounds gimmicky to me, and doesn't bring to me what the stereo mix does.

I would like to see double blind testing with all of the above systems, especially the ones he has not tested yet.

FWIW... I don't double blind tested anything in my room (electronics, speakers, wires, cables, acoustics), so I'm going by faith in all of the manufacturers as it stands. I simply listen and if it sounds good to me (and Wayne and Dennis since they've been in my room fifty-eleven times), then I run with it. We did however, do blind testing with some amps several years ago, posted over at HTS.

AJ Soundfield

More  
Main Amp
Hypex Ncores
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
AudioEngine D2
DAC
NAD M51
Yamaha BDA1010
Front Speakers
Soundfields
Center Channel Speaker
Soundfields, KEF Q150
Surround Speakers
Soundfields
Surround Back Speakers
Revel M16
Subwoofers
AVA ABX
Well he did state... Measurements I made with REW disagreed with the unit's displayed result, but agreed with my ears.
When I have compared what Dirac measures to what REW measures, it's the same.
It should be (near) exact, at the LP. There's no magic in measuring sound pressures with an omni pressure mic. As Toole said, REW and a mic is all thats needed. Of course, unlike with magic EQ, you can measure anywhere with REW, including a gated 1m +/- 0-60 to see the damage done. As I suspect Toole would. Oh..and what you NEVER see when people post those hammered flat at LP sloping magic curves that the forums cheering section erupts to.

Still curious about what specifically was his issue. He gave broad generalities of the issue... I get the gest of it. It would be nice to know the gooey details from someone with his credentials.
The issue is he knows what neutral sounds like...and that doesn't require his credentials. The Klippel, Phillips, Harman "How to Listen" training, etc, etc, etc. has been widely available to the 99% for a long time, but that is far harder than believing an enticing marketing story and pressing a magic button on a remote. Or have someone tell you remotely by phone what you prefer.

I also caught that he likes to upmix his stereo, so maybe that negates the necessity of having the speakers pulled out into the room. I prefer two-channel, although I did like Wish You Were Here in multi-channel. It's definitely a different sound. I dunno... when I've tried upmixing, it just sounds gimmicky to me, and doesn't bring to me what the stereo mix does.
Well, had you asked, I would have thrown in my 2c. Starting at $500 fee via phone. Not bad for some magic eh?
Yes. I'm sure Dr Toole understands this and listens to real space acoustics music, so that's a given with stereo. Not all upmixers are the same, I think he's using one of the latest/greatest Auro3D...and of course with vast knowledge of how to set up. Properly done it should sound anything but gimmicky. Kal has heard, so he could offer experience.
For mere mortals on a budget, I have long (20yrs?) preferred Logic7, example described here (hopefully not verboten).

FWIW... I don't double blind tested anything in my room (electronics, speakers, wires, cables, acoustics), so I'm going by faith in all of the manufacturers as it stands. I simply listen and if it sounds good to me (and Wayne and Dennis since they've been in my room fifty-eleven times), then I run with it. We did however, do blind testing with some amps several years ago, posted over at HTS.
Yep, that's better than most. If you still have the AVA ABX, that's better than 99.9999%. I find it very useful for speaker development.
YMMV.

I would like to see double blind testing with all of the above systems, especially the ones he has not tested yet.
Me too! Those McGill U MQA and Studiophile treatments type studies were hilarious.
Look forward to your open letters to all the magic EQ DSP/Math companies pleading your case for them to finally, after decade+, showing valid perceptual evidence of efficacy, overturning decades of research into listener preferences for (neutral) loudspeakers.
Good luck with that!

p.s. Toole is looong out of the testing game.

cheers

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
I had a Lexicon DC1 for a few years with Logic 7. I liked it okay, but wasn't much into stereo music listening then.

I guess I need to send open letters to all of the manufacturers to provide us with valid perceptual evidence of efficacy. Got a lot of work ahead of me huh?

Yes... I agree... someone needs to do more testing to confirm improvements, so that we don't have to keep relying on over a decade old blind test.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Catching up on this thread, beg pardon if I have misunderstood any of the previous posts, or if I end up beating an already thoroughly covered topic to death...

It never ceases to amaze me how some folks simply refuse to believe that human beings are NOT objective, precision instruments. It's noteworthy that Toole said "shown with monotonous regularity ", these issues are settled... Our ears are not microphones, our eyes are not cameras, what you perceive is a creation of the brain and is in no way some kind of simple mapping or linear recording of sensory inputs... It's foolish to believe you can be objective in these things, you simply can't, not if you're a human being.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is true. I have - unwittingly - demonstrated this myself in an A-B speaker comparison that turned out to be an A-A test (thanks, Sonnie!) where I was listing all the differences I thought I heard between A and, uh, er, A as it turned out. AWKWARD!

For me, critical listening has become a quest for truth, or rather a quest to become as truthful a listener as possible, by challenging my own perceptions, by being methodical, by asking tough questions, altering perspective and asking them again and again, getting ego out of the way (or trying) and being willing to be wrong and eager to learn from every experience. It is the hardest work I have ever done, Sometimes I think I do a decent job of it, and others I fall on my face and have laugh at my own foolishness.

A quick note concerning the topic of this thread, Toole's book, and his research in audio.
1. I am not a fan of hero worship. and there is plenty of that around for whose work we learn from and whose work we build upon. Not to minimize their accomplishments just to keep them in perspective. Even scientists have biases and make assumptions. This rebelliousness on my part could be deemed a "personal problem," I admit.
2. I am a huge fan of science and the scientific method which aids us in creeping up on the truth, ever closer but never quite there. Here we must give credit for research well done, even while we - anyone - can question, poke, prod, offer an alternate view, along with supporting data, while hopefully remembering that we are all quite fallible, and that the goal is to help nudge the work a little closer to the truth, whatever it may be.
3. There will always be those who chose faith over science in the service of their personal audio preferences. It is anyone's right to do so, although it can be a frustration and disruption to the furthering of the science being pursued.
4. Studies tend to look for averages (statistics!) and downplay outliers. This is fair, I guess, unless YOU are the outlier! A close look at the exceptions can be very enlightening!
5. There are few absolutes (the speed of light?), and a lot of tendencies, even strong ones, often quite trainable with the right tools.
6. This is a hobby, it is for fun and pleasure, although it can get expensive and THAT can make it very serious in the end.

I have posted a few questions on other forms after reading the book and wondering if people had any other thoughts:

1) Speaker positioning from the front wall and soundstage depth:
There was not too much discussion in terms of ideal positioning from the front wall outside of knowing about speaker boundary interference and adjacent boundary effects and how it will affect the bass response. It seems that bass response is the main consideration with positioning the speaker in/flush/in front/away from the front wall. Toole says “Adding absorption to the front wall, behind the loudspeakers, reportedly improved image localization and reduced coloration... Memo for Listening room recommendations: add sound absorbing material to front wall”

Absorption on the front wall seems to have only limited effect on frequency response, but damps out any resonances and can thereby reveal lots of fine detail in a recording. While the science of immersive soundstage and imaging (SS&I) seems far from complete, I offer that the magnitude, timing, and direction (relative to the direct signal) of reflections off of the surfaces close to the speaker contribute to their creation and that absorption in the right places can preserve desired reflections while absorbing / damping others, enhancing image clarity. "Desired" reflections vs those that disrupt the effect depend highly on speaker, placement, and room - my belief based on experience and measurements, all subject to change. It will be interesting to read Toole's views on this.

It seems the general audiophile advice is to pull speakers away from the front wall to help create a deeper soundstage etc yet I did not see this explicitly mentioned by Toole or Geddes. They seem to be ok with positioning the L&R speakers close to the front wall as long as one pays attention to bass response and possibly absorbs.

It is not clear that SS&I were high priorities for Toole's work - it is an important personal goal in reading his book to see whether or not it was and how he suggests achieving it.

What I am wondering is if there truly is a benefit in soundstage depth with pulling the speakers away from the front wall?

Or do people think it is a psychoacoustic effect by having the front wall further away from the source (not saying that it is not a very real psychological effect, but merely one that cannot be seen on the frequency response, nor reproducible with blind tests)?

I wonder if this explains it: “Generations of listeners have noted the obvious differences in directional and spatial impressions created by sounds panned to the real left and right loudspeakers and those panned to intermediate positions, including center. The difference is that the extreme left and right locations are created by monophonic signals, delivered to single loudspeakers, whereas the intermediate image locations result from “stereo” signals, delivered to both loudspeakers simultaneously, with amplitude biases and/or delays appropriate to define the direction. The common impression is that the left and right panned sounds appear to originate in the loudspeakers themselves, whereas the intermediate images appear to originate further back, in a more spacious setting, and sometimes elevated. Instead of a soundstage extending across a line between the loudspeakers, the center images tend to drift back-ward.” - Toole

I have noticed this tendency, although - as previously noted - it seems to depend upon speaker, placement, and room. Floor-to-ceiling damping on the front wall - an option for a two-channel room, not so for a home theater - can reduce the pull-back effect. Front wall treatment is a whole big topic I am interested to read Toole''s thoughts about.

As then if the sound is hard panned to the L or R then it comes further forward (from the speaker), and then if intermediate positions then it appears higher up and further back and hence creates the impression of depth? Do people think that explains what we observe / hear?

What are peoples thoughts on the optimal distance from the front wall and imaging depth?

Working with Sonnie and others in his room (and others), evaluating a lot of speaker pairs, most speaker types benefit in their delivering deeper SS&I when pulled out from the wall. There have been some interesting exceptions that sounded very good in SS&I terms close to the wall. Wish there was a good explanation for this, or way to predict it, but I have none to offer, other than the suggestion that reflections (magnitude, timing, direction re the direct signal) are the main contributors.

3) Precedence Effect and side reflections
I am sure I just missed something somewhere when it comes to the precedence effect. But my understanding is that the primary sound will be heard first and that all reflected sounds will be combined into the first arriving sound. My understanding is that this is commonly misunderstood to mean that the delayed signals are ignored which is certainly not the cacase, as they are combined with the original signal, but that the original signal has all these other delayed signals added into the interpretation of it.

Well put, although I think of it as a STRONG TENDENCY rather than an absolute rule. No description of the Haas Effect that I have encountered even allows for the existence of SS&I, much less explains it. I am tempted to conclude that the common explanations of this important work are inadequate, or that Haas's work did not address the factors essential to SS&I. More to learn from Toole's book.

Toole mentions that delays greater than 30-40ms can then be interpreted as separate sources and thus everything under falls into the precedence effect does it not? So if the signals are being combined to that first signal, then does the distance of reflections matter? Does it matter if the side walls are mere inches vs feet vs meters away? Should it not all be interpreted under the primary signal? If that is the case, then would not all reflections in small rooms (under 30ms), be of no consequence when it comes to imaging? Once again, I am sure I am missing something here, but I like to think I understood that the delayed signal is combined with the original (and not ignored), but that the original signal trumps the delayed signal in terms of localization etc. But now it has me questioning the effects of all reflections and if they truly are damaging to soundstage.

Referring to my previous comment, this has been a cause of endless head-scratching for me as well. It does not add up in a way that makes sense.

natty

That's fair.

I suppose it is also worth noting that while it is "toole's book," my quick estimate is that more than 80% of the research is not his. Like most good (I didn't say definitive) text books, it brings together arguably "all" of the scientific data that has been subject to processes like peer review in the field, and attempts to synthesize the data from all those pieces of research into some generalizations that the data supports. And like a lot of such text books, he is proud of his own segment of the research used and it tends to reveal his particular areas of interest.

At various points he mentions that more research in some topics and areas would help to make better conclusions on certain subjects.

It is possible (though the people that have criticized the book seldom do this from what I have seen) to digest all the data he collects, and come to a different interpretation on various points that both fits all the available data AND contradicts some of the conclusions too many of us refer to as "Toole says....".

It is funny or entertaining that he acknowledges the arguments, and misinterpretations of his conclusions in online forums, in the text of the third edition of the book. (Don't get suckered into buying the second edition, which is a reprint of the first edition, which was fine in its day but as with any field of research, lots more was tested between the first and third edition, and a lot of the writing was made more clear. That said, I still think that it could be even MORE clear. But that's a whole separate thread.)

Top Bottom