Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Flashdance: Paramount Presents Edition

Movie: :3.5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :4stars:
Extras: :2.5stars:
Final Score: :4stars:

Movie

As a rabid fan of 80s music and 80s film (80s horror being my weak spot), I still have to admit that I have a few guilty pleasures from the time period. Films like Dirty Dancing, Footloose, Staying Alive and Flashdance were all part of my formative years, and I still will lock the door, make sure no one’s around, then pop on one of those films and tap my toe to the music. They were so infectious, so fun, and so much silly fluff that you actually enjoyed them despite the stereotypical 80s cheese. Starting with 1977’s Saturday Night Fever, America had gone through a second phase of “musicals”. Before it was the classic Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire vaudeville style of musicals that permeated cinematic culture, but that has pretty much become dead by the end of the 60s. However, with John Travolta dancing his way to the top, we revived our love of musicals, but in a different way. Instead of stage play styled song and dance numbers, it was infused with pulsating lights, 80s guitar riffs, and a hefty dose of James Dean’s Rebel Without a Cause mentality to the stories.

Flashdance was one of the sillier, puffier bits, but it still was a huge part of 1980s culture and a fun watch if you go back and give it some love. The 4th of the “Paramount Presents” line, Flashdance is given a brand new 4K master, and the typical physical trappings of the Paramount Presents films (a foldover embossed slipcover, a clear Blu-ray case, and some nifty new artwork for the inside flap). Luckily for us the 4K master really pays off and even though Paramount (for some weird reason) has trimmed the extras down from the 2013 release, this package brings the visual goods and makes for a very solid upgrade.

I said Flashdance was pure puff pastry in the story line and I stick to that. My wife is a RAAAAAAAAABID fan of 80s pop culture films, and even this one makes it one of the lowest on her list of likes. I tend to give it a bit more love than she does, but I understand why. There isn’t as much depth and development as most cinemaphiles would have liked, instead relying on infusing the film with literally every popular early 80s song known to man (seriously, we have everyone from Joan Jett, Irene Cara, Donna Summer, to Kim Carnes), and even Paramount was a bit nervous about the film’s success. They went so far as to sell off 25% of the film’s rights shortly before it was released in order to hedge their financial bets, only to be bowled over when it became an overnight sensation. According to the 2007 interview with producer Jerry Bruckheimer, Paramount actually accused him and the director of the film of fudging the numbers and making it seem like less of a sure hit, as the soundtrack became almost more of a hit than the film. Supposedly people watched the film when it was released, went across the street to buy the record (remember when you could do that? Buy an album in store?) and then go back across the street to watch the film a second time.

Flashdance is your typical 80s story of rags to riches. Alex Owens (Jennifer Beals) who moved from a little town in Pennsylvania to Pittsburgh in order to get somewhere in life. At heart she’s a self taught dancer from nowhere who wants to make it big, but has to pay the bills by being a welder at the local steel mill. When Nick Hurley (Michael Nouri), owner of the steel mill, sees Alex dancing on stage at the local bar he falls head over heels for her. At first Alex refuses his advances as dating the boss isn’t exactly a smart thing, but the two soon hit it off and begin their romance.

Their romance soon turns out to be a double edged sword. Nick is rich, charming, and actually a really good guy. He pushes Alex to really go for her dream of making it big at a local dance studio that is STUPIDLY exclusive, but his connections cause Alex some mental troubles. When it comes out that Nick has pulled a few strings to get her the audition, Alex wants to refuse and push him away, as she wanted to make it 100% on her own. However, she also realizes that he’s only gotten her the audition. The rest is truly up to her, and whether she likes it or not, giving up on your dreams is the death of your soul and she has been given an opportunity to really shine here.

Flashdance is pure silly fluff, but it’s toe tapping fluff. The story is paper thin, and the acting your typical 80s fare, but it’s just FUN at heart. It has all the things to tug at your heart with Alex trying to work her way to the top, and the typical romance and singing that makes these types of music so much fun. Flashdance is hindered more by it’s complete lack of depth than anything, but that lack of depth hasn’t kept it from becoming an 80s pop culture classic and that really comes from Jennifer Beals. She was a nobody at the time, and pretty much got shot to stardom overnight (if you didn’t notice, she’s actually the Sheriff in the new DC show Swamp Thing) and she’s so lovable and charming that it kind of glosses over the rest of the 80s cheese.

Rating:

Rated R by the MPAA

Video: :4.5stars:
I’m having to go off memory here as I can’t seem to find my 2013 Blu-ray of Flashdance, but if I remember correctly it was a solid encode, but one based off of a flawed master with some backed in crush and texture issues. This new remaster is simply gorgeous though, with a fantastic looking encode that borders on perfection. The contrast between color and shadow is superb, with bright lights and neon twinges in the bar scenes, contrasted with the deep shadowy world of the Pittsburgh steel mill and the shadows of the club recesses. The contrast is well done with great black levels shining through. The skin tones look a bit ruddy, but very natural. Grain appears intact and none of the DNR that plagued To Catch a Thief (or even the minor DNR used in King Creole) seems to be present here. Fine detailing is superb, from the 80s dance costumes, to the bright glistening world of the dance academy. There was a few scenes in the Mawbry bar where I detected some black crush, but overall this is a stunning looking remaster.

Audio: :4stars:
The 5.1 DTS-HD MA track is identical to the Warner 2013 release (bitrates and file sizes are identical according to some other sources I was able to wheedle the info out of), and that’s not a bad thing. The 5.1 mix is vibrant and full of life, filled with the copious 80s pop rock tunes filling the entire sound stage. The film can be a bit front heavy when the music isn’t engaged, but still had enough surround activity in the craziness of the bar scene. The LFE is tight and punchy, but rather mild compared to today’s mixes. The bass is clean and clear, accentuating the music without becoming a pulse pounder. It’s an all around good mix and I still have no problems with Paramount’s 5.1 track. Good sound, good experience.

Extras: :2.5stars:
• NEW Filmmaker Focus: Director Adrian Lyne on Flashdance
• The Look of Flashdance
• Releasing the Flashdance Phenomenon
• Theatrical Trailer

Final Score: :4stars:

This new Paramount Presents edition of Flashdance is just about what the doctor ordered. It has a brand new 4K scan of the film which looks lovely, a nice packaging set, but is slightly (only slightly) hindered by a strange lack of extras from the previous edition. We have a brand new extra added to the list, but half of the original slew of extras found on the 2013 disc are strangely missing (and there seems to be enough space on the disc to accommodate them). As a lover of extras this does perturb me, but as someone who puts huge stock in good quality audio and video specs, I’m more than willing to overlook it for the beautiful transfer we got in trade.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Jennifer Beals, Michael Nouri, Lilia Skala, Sunny Johnson, Kyle T. Heffner, Lee Ving, Ron Karabatsos
Directed by: Adrian Lyne
Written by: Thomas Hedley Jr., Joe Eszterhas
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 AVC
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 5.1, French DD 2.0
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French
Studio: Paramount
Rated: R
Runtime: 95 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: May 19th, 2020

Recommendation: Good Watch

Last edited:

Asere

More  
Main Amp
Denon AVR X4200W
Additional Amp
Parasound HCA 1500A
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103D
Front Speakers
SVS Prime Towers
Center Channel Speaker
SVS Prime
Surround Speakers
SVS Prime Satellites
Front Height Speakers
Proficient
Rear Height Speakers
Proficient
Subwoofers
Dual Kreisel DXD 12012, PSA S3000i
Video Display Device
Samsung PNF8500
Screen
60"
Remote Control
Harmony Ultra
Streaming Subscriptions
Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTS 3600
Thanks for the review. This movie is nostalgic to me. I remember watching it many times on cable. Jennifer Beals does not age much after all this years.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Thanks for the review. This movie is nostalgic to me. I remember watching it many times on cable. Jennifer Beals does not age much after all this years.

No lie. I watched her on Swamp Thing and was shocked at how gorgeous she still was

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Wow. Blast from the ole past! Nice to see flicks like this getting a restore of sorts!

Top Bottom