FIR Filter, impulse response - am I doing it wrong

bluecipher

Registered
Hi all,

am I am pretty new to things like REW, DSPs, FIR filters etc., so please be patient...

I am using a Mini-DSP 2x4 HD to create a digital crossover for my two-way DIY speaker. After doing a "normal" XO I thought I give FIR filters a try, just for the fun of it. After doing a few rounds using REW for measurement and rePhase for filter design, I actually got something working that does sound better than before. I get a pretty decent flat frequency and phase reponse, however the impulse graph is looking a bit weird..

impulse.jpg

So basically I get a larger negative peak before the actual "smaller" positive reponse. Am I doing something terribly wrong here? Is that a sign of some huge mistake I'm making? Thanks for any hints!

skid00

More  
Main Amp
2 x Adcom GFA 555
Front Speakers
Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV
Something in your signal chain may be inverting the impulse.

My Carver speakers are wired inverted...

You can invert the image in the settings.

Foly83

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Marantz AV-8805
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 3, 2x Emotiva BassX
Front Speakers
Bowers &Wilkins 804D3
Center Channel Speaker
HTM1D3
Surround Speakers
Cinema Series
Surround Back Speakers
Cinema Series
Front Height Speakers
Cinema Series
Subwoofers
4x DB1
Other Equipment
Mini DSP 2x4HD, DDRC 88-BM, Mini DSP Thomann 4x4
Hello blue
It would be interesting if you would upload your working steps possibly with pictures.
Maybe then more people can help you better.

In the step response, for example, there is always a pre-swing. This is normal for an FIR filter.

An analog or IIR filter usually produces a serious delay at the cutoff frequency, both in the transient response and in the decay response, which means that signals at the cutoff frequency enter with a delay, but then decay.
This effect should be called post-ringing.

Post ringing, on the other hand, is relatively "harmless" because there are no instruments/noise sources anyway.

I myself have played a lot with my Mini DSP and rePhase.
I would be happy if I can learn something here as well.
Because so really many instructions in relation to Mini DSP and rePhase I have not found.

Also look forward to correction if I'm wrong :)

many greetings

bluecipher

Registered
It might have been a matter of time aligning the drivers. But I have re-done my workflow and created some screenshots - both as a cry for help and to document where a newbie like myself might start off. So this is not meant as a "how to" (probably more a "how-not-to"...), but others might make the same mistakes as myself and might profit from helpful comments and corrections just like me.

Let me start off with what I am trying to do. As stated above, I have built a pair of speakers (to be precise the "Small Thor" enclosure suggested in an almost classic thread over at diyaudio. This is a two-way d'Appolito speaker using Seas Excel drivers

speaker.jpg

I've ripped out the passive crossover, so apart from a protective capacitor in line with the tweeter it's just the drivers, and I am trying to design a digital XO using FIR filters and a MiniDSP 2x4 HD.

As for the measurement setup, I am using a Behringer ECM8000 mic. I don't have a calibration file for it, so I just use it as-is and hope for the best. The following measurements were done with the mic at the same height as the tweeter and at a distance of 0.5 meters. I am using REW for the measurements and rePhase for the filter design.

I started with the woofer. I disabled any PEQ, XO etc. settings in th MiniDSP and ran a sweep with the following settings:

Tweeter_unfiltered_settings.png

The raw data gives the following result

woofer_unfiltered_raw.png

I then used Controls->IR Delay

IR_delay_correction.png

set the IR windows (the following scrrenshot is actually not fully correct, I was using a right window of 50ms)

ir_windows_woofer.png

and applied a 1/6 smoothing. This resulted in the follwong SPL & Phase graph

woofer_unfiltered_smoothed.png

(the magnesium membrane of the driver has a pretty breakup frequency between 4 and 5 kHz, easily visible in the graph) and a corresponding impulse response

gating_window_woofer.png

to be continued...

bluecipher

Registered
I exported the measurement (see below) and imported it into rePhase

rePhase_Woofer_unfiltered.png

Following the "The rePhase FIR tool" tutorial by the MiniDSP folks, I first applied some "Paragraphic Gain EQ" adjustments to flatten the frequency response (even though I'll later choose a cutover frequency at 2 kHz I brought the breakup frequency around 4.5 kHz down a little). Under "Filter Linearization" I then applied a "vented high Q" rolloff at 35Hz and tried to somewhat flatten the remaining pahse curve using the "Paragraphic Phase EQ" tab. Generated the filter, exported as a bin file, imported into the MiniDSP and measured in REW again .

woofer_filtered.png

woofer_filtered_impulse.png

The woofer impulse response show (part of) that behavior I was mentioning in my first post. I then added a "2nd order" low-pass at 2000 Hz, re-generated the filter etc. and measured again

woofer_filtered_xo.png

woofer_filtered_xo_impulse.png

to be continued...

Attachments

• Woofer_unfiltered.txt
    27.8 KB · Views: 11

bluecipher

Registered
On to the tweeter... same workflow, only with a different gating (right 4ms) and a sweep starting at 200 Hz

Tweeter_unfiltered_settings.png

giving an initial measurement of (see attachment)

tweeter_unfiltered_smoothed.png

tweeter_unfiltered_response.png
Exported, imported in to rephase

rePhase_Tweeter_unfiltered.png

flattened frequncy response, then phase. Exported, imported to MiniDSP, REW measurement

tweeter_filtered.png

tweeter_filtered_impulse.png

(see again the hefty negative jump pre-signal). And then added the high-pass 2nd order at 2000 Hz

tweeter_filtered_xo.png

tweeter_filtered_xo_impulse.png

just one to go...

Attachments

• Tweeter_unfiltered.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 12

bluecipher

Registered
Finally, I activated both channels and measured them together

both_no_alignment.png

both_no_alignment_impulse.png

At this point, the drivers were not time aligned, you see the negative pre-jump and (more importantly) some extinction around 3 kHz. I then delayed the tweeter response (somewhat hand-wringing it) by 0.15ms in the MiniDSP, which gave the following result

both_aligned.png

both_aligned_impulse.png

Interestingly, not only is the frequency response pretty flat now, but also the impulse reponse looks pretty nice to me. So probably in my initial try I wasn't aligning the drivers properly. Still, I would b very interested in any comments, tips, hints for approval, grave mistaked I made etc. For example - should I try to flatten the phase in the > 4kHz region, or is that not audible? What about the phase below 200 Hz, and how would you approach that?

Thanks so much (and sorry for the lengthy series of posts...)

Foly83

More  
Marantz AV-8805
Main Amp
Front Speakers
Bowers &Wilkins 804D3
Center Channel Speaker
HTM1D3
Surround Speakers
Cinema Series
Surround Back Speakers
Cinema Series
Front Height Speakers
Cinema Series
Subwoofers
4x DB1
Other Equipment
Hi blue
Thank you for the detailed explanation of how you proceeded.
Do you still have your two measurements from the tweeter and woofer before you processed them in rePhase?
Or maybe the complete measurement series as .mdat before and after correction?
Unfortunately I did not work with the Xo in rePhase. I had only adjusted the phase. Would try with the original measurement my method as soon as I have time

many greetings

bluecipher

Registered
The original measurements (txt files exported from REW) can be found in the posts above (woofer_unfiltered.txt and tweeter_unfiltered.txt), and I have added the REW measurements and rePhase filed below.

Another question: Using the "Box rolloff" to correct the phase in the base results in significant loss of SPL - is there a better way to do this?

Attachments

• MeasurementsAndRephase.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 16

Foly83

More  
Marantz AV-8805
Main Amp
Front Speakers
Bowers &Wilkins 804D3
Center Channel Speaker
HTM1D3
Surround Speakers
Cinema Series
Surround Back Speakers
Cinema Series
Front Height Speakers
Cinema Series
Subwoofers
4x DB1
Other Equipment
Hi blue
Wish you a happy new year
Have a look at the method that you have followed.
And created a correction based on your original measurement.
Would you load my two files into your DSP for the tweeter and woofer and make a measurement. I would be interested in what comes out.
The correction is without Xo
Here is a link with the files

And what I noticed.
You don't have a callibration file stored in REW. what kind of microphone are you using?
The "Box rolloff" I have not yet needed. I have a DBA configured as bass and make the Xo at 110 Hz, so I do not need this correction.
But can like to check that times with my D3.

many greetings

Last edited:
Top Bottom