[Feature Suggestion] automatically include measured outputs in measurement title

vhr99

Registered
Dear REW Team,

I wanted to suggest a useful feature that could speed up the measurement workflow immensely.

The feature would automatically write the measured outputs into the measurement title.

It's crucial to have a quick overview over the content of each measurement. Since the title length for REW measurements is quite short I developed the Index {L, R, B} for my measurement titles. Left, Right, or Both gives me a very quick overview over what the related measurement is about.

I think for a good overview it is necessary to always include the measured speaker within the title, or somewhere else in the measurement list, because it plays a major role when finding the right measurement in the selection. L,R,B for a Stereo System and for Surround Setups there might be also some useful abbreviations.

At the moment I always have to first select the output and then need to click the title four times until I have the cursor without selection at the right spot, before erasing the old letter and replacing it with the current one. This is tedious and time consuming and could be easily automated.

Here are two main ideas:

Let the selected output be written into the title automatically. Either in their full name (MON L in my case), or via the number of the Output Channel (0,1,...), or via a previously self-configured abbreviation for the channel. It could be placed within the title by using a placeholder. Or it would also work as an added prefix just like there is a similar option in REW already.
> The used output channels should be quickly visible in the measurement preview. Either in the title or within another panel, as overlay on each measurement card.

2. (Optionally)
Add a swap button for channels. When doing measurements in different conditions it's normal to switch from L to R each time. I know that there is an option of doing multiple measurements, however a swap button would be a nice thing, especially as I am having resync error issues all the time that could discard and abort multiple measurements.

With these two things the REW measurement workflow would be a lot lot more efficient.

What do you think about this?
Are you also writing the used output channels into a measurement title to organize them or do you use another way to keep track of the measured content?
Let me know :)

Kind regards,
Chris

Last edited:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Use this option:

1712408045376.png

vhr99

Registered
Thanks,
I somehow didn't see this and that it's already in the current release version.

At the moment when I select two outputs the letter stays the same (for me its the channel number e.g. 1 or 2 instead of L or R), being the letter of the box "Output", so the primary Output letter only. I can't replicate the same result like it is shown in your screenshot.

Kind regards :)

Top Bottom