[Feature request] Multi channel output with Java drivers?

Midas

Registered
Hi John, thank you for an absolutely brilliant program. As a professional home-theater systems calibrator, I use REW a lot.

Would it be possible to add support for multi-channel outputs using the Java drivers, please? Alternatively, allow support for multiple ASIO devices, one for input and one for output? Please let me elaborate:

A common use case I have for using REW is to set it up using ASIO drivers to be able to get access to the full 8 channels of HDMI output. For this I normally use the asio4all driver. On the input side, when I need to make high-quality analog measurements, I use a Focusrite Scarlett USB sound card. The problem is that this device comes with its own set of ASIO-drivers and is generally incompatible with asio4all. So with ASIO in REW I get access to HDMI's 8 channels, but I am unable to get the input routed through asio4all. Or if I use the Java drivers, I do get the inputs from the Focusrite, but I do not get access to anything other than stereo output over HDMI.

It would be nice if it were possible to allow the Java driver output to support multi channel output. Interestingly the config in Windows does this all fine. I've written multiple tools that yields 8-channel output, and I hope that would be the case for the Java drivers too.

Again, thank you a lot for your tool John.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
REW supports multichannel with the Java drivers, but JavaSound on Windows doesn't (macOS and Linux do). I've submitted an enhancement request for it, but I'm not the first to ask over the years. The ASIO interface is provided through JAsioHost, which only supports a single ASIO device for both input and output (the ASIO standard really, though there are multi-client ASIO implementations nowadays).

ASIO4All is a wrapper around WDM drivers, as is JavaSound, so if you can access the inputs with Java drivers they should be accessible to ASIO4All. Do they appear in the ASIO4All control panel? If ASIO4All isn't cooperating FlexASIO is a very robust alternative, though it is set up via a config file - no control panel.

Top Bottom