Feature Request in Room Sim: Multiple choices of listener position

bobkatz

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Main monitor controller: Cranesong Avocet (8 ch)
Main Amp
Atsah 500
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo
Front Speakers
Dynaudio Evidence M5P
Center Channel Speaker
Lipinski L-707
Surround Speakers
Lipinski L-505
Subwoofers
JL Fathom F-112 (2)
Dear John: I love the way you are growing REW and making it more and more effective. The new room simulation feature is fabulous! What I'm finding is I would like more visual aid to help me make a judgment faster. So here are my suggestions:

1) I would like to see the "less resolved" and more resolved spectral picture in there. So can you please add smoothing choice to the room sim? Sometimes I like to see 1 octave analysis as a start to hep me decide on best listener position in a room, then slowly move to a more resolved picture as I narrow down the optimum listening position. For example, You could allow 1/1, 1/3, 1/6, 1/12, etc. smoothing.

2) I would like to be able to choose the colors for the traces "in front", "behind", etc.

3) I would like to be able to adjust the vertical axis sensitivity. and the SPL that's predicted. For example, if I pick a different SPL I can center the graph on a known horizontal axis at, say, 200 Hz. Alternatively you could let us click in there to add a horizontal line similar to how it can be done in the main window. Also, if I can zoom in or our on the vertical axis I could get 10 dB/div like your current graph, or more or less resolution, to make it easier to make our choice of listening position.

4) I would like to display more listener positions. You could do this by definining an increment from the main (e.g. 1 foot, 3 inches, 4 inches, whatever) and then giving the user multiple listening positions he can check that are in front of and behind the "main" position. Again, this would help us to make the best decision on the listening position.

I hope this helps and inspires you!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'll add those to the requests list Bob, though it will be a while before I do more on the simulator.

DanDan

Staff member
I wonder if the Simulator would be best separated out as a standalone app/project. REW for Acoustics and even Electronics is already a full blown Laboratory!

Top Bottom