Feature Request: Distortion vs Power

nyt

I've added dBu, dBv and dBW for the RTA and dBu, dBV and V for the signal generator, that is in the upcoming 5.20 beta 2. Understand about the stepped amplitudes, but haven't got to that yet.

Any eta on stepped amplitude?

Thanks

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, I've been working on the measurement dialog and another tool, but the stepped sine dialog will be getting some attention soon so that will be an opportunity to see what stepped amplitude would involve.

trobbins

VIP Supporter
Good on ya John - that is a lot of WIP !

Maybe a bit exotic, but imho a distortion sweep would be amazing if there was the ability to selectively plot individual parameters, including THD, THD+N, N, and at least 2nd and 3rd, and IM. I included N by itself, as the act of generating signal power can change the character of hum (for standard rectified mains supplied equipment) - although sweeping signal through hum frequencies may require plot interpretation.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The distortion graph already offers that for stepped sine measurements. Stepped sine also has an option to capture the spectrum at each test frequency and plot it as a waterfall or spectrogram - albeit all at the same signal level. Are you meaning the same feature set should be available when stepping amplitude?

Reactions: bmx

nyt

No, I've been working on the measurement dialog and another tool, but the stepped sine dialog will be getting some attention soon so that will be an opportunity to see what stepped amplitude would involve.

any news?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I did some preliminary work on it, but the changes required are too extensive to go into 5.20 so it will be in the 5.21 beta.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'm working on this now. It is requiring a lot of changes, but making progress on it.

nyt

I'm working on this now. It is requiring a lot of changes, but making progress on it.

Hi,

Finally got around to using the new features. Couple of issues, though.

It seems the stepped amplitude distortion graph only renders noise. THD is missing, THD+N and N are overlayed, even though the THD is still plotted in the RTA window.

Also, would be nice if distortion overlay worked for stepped graphs

Last edited:

nyt

It seems I can get the trace to come back if I select generator instead of input, then switch tabs and come back. Then I can set it to Input again, and it continues showing until switching tabs, but with no actual value listed in the legend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom