By Todd Anderson on Apr 5, 2019 at 3:25 PM
  1. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
    Staff Member

Experience MQA and Qobuz at AXPONA, Get Educated and Win Freebies!

[​IMG] (April 5, 2019) Today, we have AXPONA news from two different camps that share Hi-Res roots: Qobuz and MQA. And to kick things off, we’ll check in with Qobuz. Despite being only two months old, Qobuz has been quick to make inroads in the Hi-Res streaming and download space by operating in eleven European markets and the United States. Currently, the subscription-based service offers users access to more than 40-million music tracks spanning an array of genres, millions of which are streamed in 24-bit/192 kHz Hi-Res audio, and exclusive editorial content that’s independently curated by industry experts.

In an effort to further increase its public profile, Qobuz will be used to stream music in more than 190 listening rooms at AXPONA 2019. That’s a massive number for a first-time exhibitor. In addition, “Chief Hi-Res Evangelist” David Solomon is scheduled to host numerous flash DJ sessions and presentations (times and locations are noted below).

Next up, we have the ever present and certainly polarizing audio codec, MQA, which is scheduled to arrive at AXPONA for a Master Class series paired with support for various partners, including AV NIRVANA favorite NAD. Show goers will have an opportunity to experience the latest in MQA compatible gear from the likes of Esoteric, Technics, Aurender, iFi Audio, and EMM Labs. In addition, attendees can hear MQA in action by visiting: Astell&Kern (Ear Gear Booth 8301), AudioQuest (Music Direct in Record Fair 9322), Bel Canto (Room 501), Bluesound (Room 8321), Cary Audio (Room 706), dCS (Room 8328, plus Paragon & Quintessence Audio), eXaSound (Room 658), Hegel (1- Schaumburg D), Krell (Room 558), Lumin (Room 1221), Mark Levinson (Room 1234), MOON by Simaudio (at Quintessence Audio), MSB (Room 430), and Mytek (Expo Hall 9112).

MQA says it plans to offer attendees some “exclusive streaming and download promotions,” including vouchers for TIDAL HiFi (60 days free), Onkyo Music (free album download), and nugs.net (90 days free).

According to Mike Jbara (MQA CEO): “We are delighted to support our extensive partner base at North America’s largest high-end audio show. Our commitment is to deliver the master recording all the way through to the consumer, and there will be a wealth of hardware partners and services providing opportunities to learn about and experience MQA music at AXPONA.”

Qobuz Schedule of Activities
    Friday, April 12

• 11:30 am: Auralic (FlashDJ) (Schaumburg H)
    • 1pm: Legacy (FlashDJ) Utopia A
    • 2-2:45pm: Qobuz and Hi-Res Streaming, Introduction to Qobuz
    • 3-4pm: Luxman (FlashDJ) 580-582
    Saturday, April 13
    • 10:30-11:30am: CH Precision Breakfast w/ Qobuz. (FlashDJ) 1644
    • 12-12:30pm: The Future of High-Resolution Audio (Seminar)
    • 1:30-2:30pm: Luxman (FlashDJ) 580-582
    • 3-4pm: Legacy (FlashDJ) Utopia A
    Sunday, April 14
    • 10:30-11:30am: CH Precision Breakfast w/ Qobuz. (FlashDJ) 1644
    • 12:00pm - 1:00pm: What's New with Audio Streaming? (Seminar w Chris Connaker)
    • 1:00pm - 1:45pm: Audiophile Trivia Face Off

MQA Schedule of Activities
    Friday, April 12

• 3:00-3:45pm: Master Class, MQA’s CEO Mike Jbara will present a session on Achieving Authentic Studio Quality Sound. Attendees will learn about MQA’s end-to-end solution, which makes it possible to enjoy the authenticated sound of the studio master in the home or on the go.
    Saturday, April 13
    • 12:00-12:45pm: Mike Jbara will join MQA partner NAD’s CTO, Greg Stidsen, among other distinguished panellists, in The Future of High-Resolution Audiodiscussion. Moderated by Besflores Nievara Jr., Brand Ambassador, Music Direct, the session will explore the future for high resolution audio, and the trends driving market and consumer sentiments.
    Sunday, April 14
    • 1:00-1:45pm: MQA’s Ken Forsythe will host the Audiophile Trivia Face Off, where teams of industry experts and AXPONA attendees will compete for a chance to win the illustrious ‘NAD Sherlock Ohms Award’.

jdubs75 likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'AV Industry News' started by Todd Anderson, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes Staff Writer
      Staff Member

This is all pretty exciting! I’ve talked with many of these folks for a few years by email but never met them in person. Can’t wait to talk with all these guys and learn more. I’ve been testing Qobuz for the last month or so and would love to talk to them.

Isaac Sykes likes this.
    2. Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson News Editor / Reviewer/ Senior Admin
      Staff Member

Are you receiving it through iPhone and using AirPlay to your gear?

3. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

No of course not. That won’t give you the high resolution. I’m using the laptop app and a DAC or HDMI connection.

For the phone I used a camera kit and dac but it’s not convenient.

Isaac Sykes likes this.
    4. Isaac Sykes

I'm currently playing MQA through my MacMini over HDMI to my Oppo 105D, but am looking for something that does MQA and Quad DSD, based on what you saw at the show, do guys have any suggestions? I'd appreciate any direction. Thanks.

5. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

I vaguely recall getting a room sheet on a product that might meet your needs. Obviously there was a ton of high priced gear that could do this, but I don’t imagine your budget was 6 figures for this DAC. Let me see what I found and I’ll pass on the information. I haven’t had a chance to really dig through the product sheets yet.

Isaac Sykes likes this.
    6. Isaac Sykes

I'd really appreciate that.

7. Isaac Sykes

Thanks you very much!

8. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/pure-audio-labs

This was the product I remembered. I’ve been impressed over multiple listening events of the products sold by Underwood and this DAC is pretty feature packed for the price.

If you were looking for a lower price point than that, I would have to look and see if anything else I saw or heard meets that requirement.

Isaac Sykes likes this.
    9. Isaac Sykes

This is awesome! Thank you! Since you mentioned it, however I am intrested in seeing anything that you found at a lower price point than this.

10. Isaac Sykes

I'm curious, has anyone heard of a company called NativSound and their products, particularly the Vita?

11. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

https://ifi-audio.com/

Check these guys out. Many of their products have specs that meet your requirements for under $500. They had products on display for headphones at AXPONA and I so I can’t say a lot about sound. The products seem to be pretty solid for the money.

12. Matthew J Poes

Staff Member

Yes it was in use in the CSS room. I thought the room sounded great and the little monolith looked cool. @Kerry Armes can share his first hand experience using it.