Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV
Eternals

Movie: :3stars:
Video:
Audio:
Extras: :
Final Score: :3stars:

Movie

Eternals has been what? The 3rd pandemic film of the MCU? It was also the one that most people weren’t expecting, or even cared that much about. The Eternals were a group of superheroes that were pretty obscure from mainstream success, and while cool, were kind of odd to include into the MCU. They were more godlike and powerful than the Asgardians, and served the celestials (the oldest and most powerful beings in the Marvel comic universe). Although, technically we’ve already met ONE of them in the form of Thanos (yes, he was one of the Eternals on Titan), but that technicality aside, the characters have been virtually untouched...until now.

To make things even more interesting, Eternals was directed by Chinese director Chloe Zhao of Nomadland, who had never once done an action film, let alone a big blockbuster super hero flick. The choice was odd, and it does cause some problems for the film’s pacing and action sequences, but it also makes it one of the most “Non Marvel like” MCU films ever. THAT I actually take away as a huge boon, as the MCU has sort of gotten rote and formulaic over the years. The same bright colors, the same quippy one liners throughout the whole thing, and tons of slow motion action that looks virtually the same. At this point I’ve almost become bored with the stuff that Marvel is churning out in cookie cutter style (although I was super surprised by how much I like Spiderman: No Way Home). The movie starts 5,000 years ago, as a group of super powered beings known as the Eternals come to Earth to hunt and destroy monsters known as deviants at the behest of the celestial Arishem (we’ve seen other celestials in the form of Starlord’s dad Ego, and the celestial wielding the power stone in the flashback of Guardians of the Galaxy). It’s taken thousands of years, but the last of the Deviants were destroyed 500 years ago, and now the Eternals wait for Arishem to call them home.

Splitting up and living their lives like humans while they wait, Sersi (Gemma Chan) and Sprite (Lia MmcHugh) get attacked by a Deviant out of the blue. Now Seris and Sprite have to reunite the remaining Eternals and find out just what is going on. What is going on turns out to be much more complex, when their leader Ajak (Salma Hayek) is killed by the Deviants, leaving the link back to Arishem to fall upon Sersi. Now they learn the TRUTH of why they were put on this planet, and just why they have been waiting these thousands of years. A truth that will shake their entire foundation to the core and change the very nature of their existence.

Eternals is a different sort of super hero movie. The action sequences are kind of stodgy and over produced, and the pacing is a bit wonky even at 2 hours and 35 minutes (a bit longer than your average Marvel movie). One of the major problems comes from dumping an ensemble cast of characters onto the screen at once and trying to care for them all. Salma is really only in the movie for 10 minutes, and some of the others only get a cameo as well (I was super disappointed that Don Lee’s Gilgamesh didn’t get more screen time. He’s an incredible actor who steals the few scenes he’s in) and the rest of the time is really mostly Ikarus, Sprite and Sersi. However, I actually started getting into the groove of the film in the 2nd half as things pick up. The non Marvel like nature of the film is refreshing and exciting, especially with the non linear story telling, and the last 15 minutes or so of the movie sets up a great return with some more established Marvel characters and the introduction of a new anti-hero (kinda?) which may lead into Black Panther 2 (if that ever gets off the ground with Chadwick Boseman’s death). A new villain, a new world, and newer heroes (well, technically some of the oldest). It’s fun, a bit long at times, but overall an interesting addition to the MCU, and I kind of want to see a sequel now, especially if they can get a more experienced director.

Rating:

Rated R for violence including gruesome images and for language

Video:
Being that this was a digital stream, I'm not going to give an official video score, but rather just go over the highlights. Colors are a bit muted, with the prominent ones being gold and blues, and the image quality seemed crisp enough. Solid details, though I found the whole experience just a tad dimmer than I liked. Still a good looking stream, and on 4K UHD or Blu-ray it should look excellent.

Audio:
The film came with a 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus track that is a solid performer. The track is your typical Disney audio, with a slightly low volume level and softer than average bass response. Being that it's a compressed stream for streaming vs.disc based Atmos or DTS-HD MA I decided to not give an official score, but rather simply say that it sounded "good enough" with the volume boosted.

Extras:

Final Score: :3stars:

Eternals was an interesting flick. It feels very non Marvel like (which I consider a good thing), and introduced a set of heroes that we hadn’t seen before. It took a little while to get going, but by the end I was actually really enjoying the flick and seeing some cool tie ins to future heroes and villains (the after credits scene with Kit Harington put a smile on my face, as I was hoping that Marvel wasn’t just name teasing us with Dane Whitman, but it looks like he might show up in future films). One nerdy thing I must mention, though. The changing of the original storyline of the Eternals left a HUGE opportunity on the table to include the X-men into the MCU. The original storyline had the celestials experimenting with apes on earth when they created Deviants and Eternals, a gene which would later become known as the “X” gene, giving birth to all of our favorite mutants. This would have been the easiest and most natural way to introduce the idea of Mutants in the MCU, but it was left completely out. Ah well, I figure they’ll add Mutants in sooner or later, but again, this would have been the perfect opportunity to tease it. All in all, a solid film that is distinctly outside of the MCU tone, but with some pacing flaws and story quirks that keeps it from being top tier. Still a fun watch and can be purchased digitally via many forms (VUDU, Movies Anywhere) as well as streaming now on Disney Plus.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Gemma Chan, Richard Madden, Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Kit Harington, Kumail Nanjiani, Lia McHugh, Don Lee
Directed by: Chloe Zhao
Written by: Chloe Zhao, Patrick burleight, Ryan Firpo
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos
Subtitles:
Studio: Disney/Buena Vista
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 156 Minutes
Digital Release Date: January 12th, 2022

Recommendation: Solid Watch

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Thanks for the review. I will check it out.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
We’re planning on watching this one sometime today if we find the time.

LCSeminole

More  
Emotiva RMC-1(DL v3.6.7)(7.4.4)
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3
Additional Amp
Emotiva PA-1 (x4)
Oppo UDP-203 / Panasonic DP-UB820
Front Speakers
Arendal Sound 1723 Tower THX
Center Channel Speaker
Arendal Sound 1723 Center THX
Surround Speakers
Arendal Sound 1723 Bookshelf S THX
Surround Back Speakers
Arendal Sound 1723 Bookshelf S THX
Front Height Speakers
Arendal Sound 1723 Height S
Rear Height Speakers
Arendal Sound 1723 Height S
Subwoofers
PSA TV1813M(x2) / SVS PB12-Plus(x2)
Furman PL-PRO DMC 20A / Monster Power HTS-5000
Video Display Device
Sony XR-77A80J (ISF Calibrated by ChadB)
Remote Control
Harmony Hub & Elite/665
Streaming Equipment
AppleTV4K (2022)
Streaming Subscriptions
Hulu Live TV / Disney+ / AppleTV+ / PrimeVideo
Other Equipment
DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core
I've now watched the Eternals through two different streamers, ie: AppleTV4K(2021) and the current generation FIreTVCube, and both provided their flavor of compressed Dolby Atmos audio, Dolby MAT & DD+. I take it you streamed this with ARC through your Sony X950H and that's why only the Dolby Digital + 5.1 ?

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
I've now watched the Eternals through two different streamers, ie: AppleTV4K(2021) and the current generation FIreTVCube, and both provided their flavor of compressed Dolby Atmos audio, Dolby MAT & DD+. I take it you streamed this with ARC through your Sony X950H and that's why only the Dolby Digital + 5.1 ?

that was a glitch on my part. it was Atmos via my Firestick 4K max directly linked to my receiver. The 5.1+ reference was a carry over from my review of Antlers

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
The review is spot on Mike. I think that filmmakers need to take a step back sometimes. This film was too long. It almost dropped to The Matrix Resurrection status as I struggled to stay awake during certain parts.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
The review is spot on Mike. I think that filmmakers need to take a step back sometimes. This film was too long. It almost dropped to The Matrix Resurrection status as I struggled to stay awake during certain parts.

I'm not sure I'd go THAT far lol. Matrix Ressurections is not a high bar to beat :greengrin:..... I liked the movie in many ways, but it was oddly paced and very sluggish, and the action sequences were so incredibly bland. That being said, I did appreciate how it broke the Marvel mold and felt very different form the cookie cutter comedy and action, with the typical weak villains. Having something as impressive and nasty as Arishem was a cool twist for once. It just really felt like Chloe Zhao was not the right person for the job, as she obviously had a hard time with superheros.

Top Bottom