Equipment for ROON

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I hope you have better luck with JRiver than I did... every single windows version after a few weeks would start crashing on me. I have a version on Linux and last time I checked it was still stable though. I kept buying the latest version since ai liked it, but for me when I tried Roon it was in a whole different league. Now for me I like using a tablet, as I like to contrrol my equipment via tablets using IP instead of IR too. JRivers remote was horrible for me. Keep us posted as to what you end up keeping.
In this time and age.. I am surprised that we have so few ways to listen to music in a reliable and easy to control way. Why dont they develop a way to where a person could have buttons that installed over a touchscreen for people who like buttons? A switchable screen option to where all control could be simoultaniously displayed on your remote (large enough for anyone to see), and also hit a button and be on your screen with maybe a air remote?

Last edited:

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD M17 v2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-1 Gen 2 Monoblocks
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Other Amp
Emotiva A-150
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Classic ESL 9
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL
Surround Back Speakers
MartinLogan Motion 12
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
SVSound SB16-Ultra x 4
Video Display Device
Epson 6050
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Other Equipment
Dish Joey 4K
I hope you have better luck with JRiver than I did... every single windows version after a few weeks would start crashing on me. I have a version on Linux and last time I checked it was still stable though. I kept buying the latest version since ai liked it, but for me when I tried Roon it was in a whole different league. Now for me I like using a tablet, as I like to contrrol my equipment via tablets using IP instead of IR too. JRivers remote was horrible for me. Keep us posted as to what you end up keeping.
In this time and age.. I am surprised that we have so few ways to listen to music in a reliable and easy to control way. Why dont they develop a way to where a person could have buttons that installed over a touchscreen for people who like buttons? A switchable screen option to where all control could be simoultaniously displayed on your remote (large enough for anyone to see), and also hit a button and be on your screen with maybe a air remote?
This is extremely ironic to say the least... I've had zero issues with JRiver. I'm using my laptop... no remote, so it's the core program I get on the laptop, not an app version of anything.

HOWEVER... Roon has crashed on me several times... just quit in the middle of a song... and I had to restart the program.

Audirvana has performed fairly well, although I have to click the song twice sometimes. I haven't been using the queue yet... mainly testing different songs, so a log of search and find clicks to play. Another issue with Audirvana is the volume is not smooth with the mouse scroll wheel. Smooth as silk on Roon and JRiver. I reported it to Audirvana, but haven't heard back yet, although they did ask for more info, and their logs from the program, so I suppose they are at least looking into it.

The verdict is still out. I own up to version 27 with JRiver, so for my personal music I'll use it. For integration with qobuz or Tidal, I'll have to pick either Roon or Audirvana... and that verdict is still pending. :rolleyes:

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I hear you Sonnie... I know others that love JRiver, and it is rock solid for them. I like the look of JRiver and all the features it has (but not as much as I do Roon...now that I have finally actually got it)...hence why I have several years of JRiver editions on my NAS backup. I truly wanted and expected the newer version each time to actually work, but they never did for more than a few weeks.. Sorta of a love hate experience for me, and also why I have the latest version sitting on my Linux PC, but all the windows versions I have owned all would crash on any Windows PC I have owned...even fresh OS installs. The one thing I did not like at all was the remote app for android. From day 1 Roon has been rock solid, and never crashed for me. Now granted I have only owned it for a few months, but my JRiver versions never lasted that long.Now I have only used Kodi, JRiver, Plex and Roon sonI have zero experience with any other software. I also ran Kodi for quite a while and I liked it too, but he last few versions it got buggy too. I talked to one of my friends and he said he has been having provlems lately too.plex has noce things I like about it too, but I have never really liked the interface as much as Kodi, JRiver, and recently Roon.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD M17 v2
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Other Amp
Emotiva A-150
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
MartinLogan Motion 12
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
SVSound SB16-Ultra x 4
Video Display Device
Epson 6050
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Other Equipment
Dish Joey 4K
Okay... so I am paying for Roon as of right now, since my trial ran out and they auto charged my card. I am favoring it because of the Roon radio, the suggestion scheme and the integration with qobuz, which I also chose over Tidal for right now. I already have JRiver, so if I'm only tinkering with my own music, I'll probably use it, but then again, if Roon suggest music based on what I'm listening to in my own library, I may end up going Roon exclusively. Still don't like their snobby and ignorant management, but it is what it is.

Ordered up a Lenovo X1 Carbon 14" laptop to load all my local music on... so ultimately that will be my "equipment" I was looking for.

OldSchool1948

My AV System  
PS Audio BHK Reference Preamplifier
Main Amp
NAD M22 v2
Additional Amp
McIntosh MC2600
Other Amp
Pioneer SPEC-4
Front Speakers
Tannoy DC8Ti
Other Equipment
PS Audio DirectStream DAC
Other Equipment
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Other Equipment
Innous Zenith MKII Network Player
Other Equipment
Technics SL-1200G Turntable
@Sonnie. Excellent laptop choice. I went to Roon kind of kicking and screaming after using so many other media managers for so long (LMS, JRiver, & HQPlayer). Now, I only use Roon. Interface aside, I haven't found anything that integrates and organizes on-disk and streaming music libraries better. Roon Radio is great, and it's cross platform search function is excellent.

I use Tidal because it has more music that I like and being Army retired, I get a great discount. After doing A/B tests with Qobuz and Tidal, I didn't find much difference in SQ between Qobuz HighRes and Tidal MQA and it also depended on the song. When it came to CD quality tracks, I found no difference.

Regarding Roon and Tidal MQA, the belief is you need a DAC with MQA to take full advantage of MQA SQ because Roon only does the 1st unfold. I have an MQA DAC, so I can't comment on that one way or the other. With Qobuz, none of that matters.

Enjoy the music!

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
My AV System  
NAD M17 v2
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Seven
Other Amp
Emotiva A-150
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Surround Speakers
Surround Back Speakers
MartinLogan Motion 12
Front Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Rear Height Speakers
MartinLogan EM-IC
Subwoofers
SVSound SB16-Ultra x 4
Video Display Device
Epson 6050
Screen
Elite Screen
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Other Equipment
Dish Joey 4K
Thanks for the insight guys... much appreciated.

I swapped out my SmartRG modem/router yesterday for Plume pods... so now I get about 95Mbps down and up in my theater/listening room now. Looking forward to getting all my music loaded on my laptop and digging in to some heavy duty listening.

Top Bottom