Equalization above 1000 Hz

Echinopsis

Hello,
I have measured left and right speakers independently using Audio-Technica AT2020 microphone and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and have allowed REW to match response to target below 300 Hz.
However, there is a large difference between the speakers above 1000 Hz so I have applied manual filters above 1000 Hz to the right speaker to approximately match the left speaker.
I then measured with these filters and results seem good (I think).
Is there any issue with doing this as I've read variously not to equalize above 200 to 300 Hz and or not to apply different filters to the left and right speakers above 200 to 300 Hz?
The difference between the speakers above 1000 Hz is not due to location as the measurement follows the speaker.

Attachments

• L May 3 EQ 26 Apr.mdat
    923.1 KB · Views: 15
  • R May 3 EQ 26 Apr.mdat
    923.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Wharfedale CR-30.5 300 Hz + Manual R Apr 26.mdat
    922.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Wharfedale CR-30.5 300 Hz L Apr 26.mdat
    922.9 KB · Views: 16

John Mulcahy

REW Author
If you are correcting something that is inherent in the speaker, which seems to be the case, that's a good use of EQ.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha CX-A5000 A/V Preamp / Processor
Main Amp
Yamaha RX-Z9 AV Receiver (as multichannel amp)
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Denon DCT-3313 UDCI Universal Disc Player
Front Speakers
Canton Karat 920
Center Channel Speaker
Canton Karat 920
Front Wide Speakers
Realistic Minimus 7 (front EFX speakers)
Surround Speakers
Canton Plus D
Surround Back Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (front mains)
Front Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (surrounds)
Rear Height Speakers
Yamaha YDP2006 Digital Parametric EQ (sub)
Subwoofers
Hsu ULS-15 MKII
Other Speakers or Equipment
Adcom ACE-515 (for power management)
Video Display Device
Yamaha DT-2 (digital clock display)
Screen
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma TV
Remote Control
Stock Yamaha Remote
Streaming Equipment
Roku Express
Other Equipment
Audio Control R130 Real Time Analyzer
Before EQ graphs would have been more helpful. The ears are actually pretty forgiving of discrepancies between the speakers.

EQing the speakers separately above ~2-300 Hz (i.e. whatever the Schroeder frequency is in your room) might affect stereo imaging in the frequency range where the equalization was applied. I suggest carefully listening to a familiar source with the EQ switched on and off.

However, if problem you’re experiencing follows the speaker, that’s uncharted territory for me personally. In that case, I’d agree with John M that it’s worth a try. But again, carefully listen to a familiar source with and without EQ and decide which ultimately sounds better. IOW, trust your ears.

Regards,
Wayne

Echinopsis

Before EQ graphs would have been more helpful. The ears are actually pretty forgiving of discrepancies between the speakers.

EQing the speakers separately above ~2-300 Hz (i.e. whatever the Schroeder frequency is in your room) might affect stereo imaging in the frequency range where the equalization was applied. I suggest carefully listening to a familiar source with the EQ switched on and off.

However, if problem you’re experiencing follows the speaker, that’s uncharted territory for me personally. In that case, I’d agree with John M that it’s worth a try. But again, carefully listen to a familiar source with and without EQ and decide which ultimately sounds better. IOW, trust your ears.

Regards,
Wayne
Thank you for your insight.
I have compared with equalization to without and prefer with. Equalization below 300 Hz has reduced the bass, which sounded excessive and the equalization above 1000 Hz on the right speaker sounds like a better match of the high frequency's on the left channel. The right speaker sounds rather dull without equalization.
I have attached the before equalization graphs.

Attachments

• Wharfedale CR-30.5 L Apr 26.mdat
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • Wharfedale CR-30.5 R Apr 26 .mdat
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

sm52

Maybe the right speaker sounds muffled on the highs due to a problem in the speaker itself. If we compare the distortion graphs of the right and left before equalization, we can see that the right one produces much more distortion at HF.

Echinopsis

Yes, probably the best course of action would be to replace the tweeter in the right speaker with a new one and remeasure.
I contacted Wharfedale Australia and asked if they could supply a tweeter that suits this speaker but have not received a reply.
Thanks for your input.

Top Bottom