Other Speakers or Equipment
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
About a year ago Epson had loaned me a 5040UBe projector for a review. Unfortunately, my hockey coaching and the fact that this was old technology got in the way of me writing up a review on it. However during my short time with the 5040 I did come to appreciate it's qualities and decided in the end to purchase one and replace my older 3010 Epson. While I don't intend to write up a review on this projector. I do intend to journal my calibration process with it here. To start off I figured I would go over the dangers of copying other people's settings.

There are various settings posted on other forums and elsewhere that you can use to "adjust" your image. There is an actual pdf file at AVS with settings from several users. And there are various ones posted that went with reviews. I figured I'd do a quick check with these various settings on my Epson 5040UBe that currently has ~400 hours on the bulb.

HarperVision SDR

Average DeltaE of 17.3

HarperVision HDR

Average DeltaE of 19.6

Random Review HDR Settings

Average DeltaE of 17

Random Review 2 HDR Settings

Average DeltaE of 18.5

Out Of The Box Settings (OOTB)

Average DeltaE of 15.1

Oledurt v1

Average DeltaE of 14.29

Oledurt v2

Average DeltaE of 10.89

Oledurt Digital Cinema

Average DeltaE of 12.36

My Calibrated HDR Settings

Average DeltaE of 1.86

One thing that I never verified was whether each of these individual settings were operating under the most current firmware for the 5040. My projector was operating under the most current firmware as that was how it was shipped. The firmware update back in January of 2018 contained significant improvements to the HDR capabilities of the Epson 5040

To summarize what has been said on many occasions and on my different forums, copying other people's settings is rarely a good idea.

Color Volume

Color Volume is a measure used to determine how much color from a specific standard a display is capable of demonstrating. The Epson 5040UBE is capable of displaying:

welldun

Hello, thanks for posting this info. I too own an Epson 5040UB, and I've been using the Harpervision settings shared on AVS. I'm a total novice when it comes to the info that you presented above, so would it be too much to ask, if I requested an explanation of what you mean by average Delta and whether those numbers reflect a good or bad result per your testing? Also, Since you also did your own calibration, would you care to share the settings so that I (and anyone else interested) could try them on my setup?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I have a 4040 and really like it, although I don't have the eye for knowing what is correct.

I probably need to search out some good settings for mine... I have just been using the defaults.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
I’m at the cabin for these last few days and I’m replying on my cell phone - of which I’m getting one bar of 4G service right now. I’ll get a reply for you tomorrow after I get home and get unpacked.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Hello, thanks for posting this info. I too own an Epson 5040UB, and I've been using the Harpervision settings shared on AVS. I'm a total novice when it comes to the info that you presented above, so would it be too much to ask, if I requested an explanation of what you mean by average Delta and whether those numbers reflect a good or bad result per your testing? Also, Since you also did your own calibration, would you care to share the settings so that I (and anyone else interested) could try them on my setup?

Ok, I'm back in town with a good internet connection!

DeltaE is the error deviation from the standard. The higher the number the further it is from the target. Over the years I have heard several acceptable levels of DeltaE and I think the majority now accept that a DeltaE value of 3 or less is imperceptible to the human eye. So anything with a DeltaE of 3 or less is good.

The point of my little experiment wasn't that those settings were bad for everyone, they were just bad for my particular 5040. And they looked the part as I could see an over-saturation by eye right when I plugged them in and fired it up. So does that mean that they are bad for you or anyone else? Nope. They could very well be much closer to the goal on your particular 5040 than they were on mine.

The point is this, copying settings from others may improve your picture. But the also may very well be worse than the OOTB settings. So my opinion is to not copy settings of others and to visually use what best suits you and your eyes. :T If that is Harpervision's settings from AVS then I applaud that.
For that reason, I don't share my settings. And to be honest, I rarely get asked for them. :hide: If I still had the 5040 I would post them up here but I have since upgraded to the 5050 so I can't as I never wrote them down or took a pic of them. Next time I fire up CalMAN I can look and see if I plugged them into the saved session.

Interestingly, the settings posted online for the 5050 don't do all that well on my particular unit either. I plugged in the ones from projectorreviews.com and they weren't as good as the ones I dialed in for HDR. But that's just off the top of my head as I have yet to compare the values.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Great post Steve... really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

@welldon, I'd have to agree with Steve. You can't really share settings, since so many individual factors come into play. For you, I'd throw your in cinema mode and do a basic calibration with the Spears and Munsil HD disc. That will get to a fairly decent picture with relatively little effort.

welldun

Great post Steve... really interesting. Thanks for sharing!

@welldon, I'd have to agree with Steve. You can't really share settings, since so many individual factors come into play. For you, I'd throw your in cinema mode and do a basic calibration with the Spears and Munsil HD disc. That will get to a fairly decent picture with relatively little effort.
I've used their disc for the SDR calibration, I just don't have a disc or tools for the HDR calibration, and since the consensus was that the initial default HDR settings from Epson were too dark (Epson has since added another brightness level via a firmware update), I decided to check out what others were able to achieve for HDR via calibration. Since I'm using a Cinewhite screen from Elite Screens in a dedicated room, I figured that the screen and room conditions wouldn't be too dissimilar from those where the calibrations that were shared had been done.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
I've used their disc for the SDR calibration, I just don't have a disc or tools for the HDR calibration, and since the consensus was that the initial default HDR settings from Epson were too dark (Epson has since added another brightness level via a firmware update), I decided to check out what others were able to achieve for HDR via calibration. Since I'm using a Cinewhite screen from Elite Screens in a dedicated room, I figured that the screen and room conditions wouldn't be too dissimilar from those where the calibrations that were shared had been done.
I remember those dark days, the firmware update worked wonders IIRC.

welldun

I remember those dark days, the firmware update worked wonders IIRC.
It definitely did improve things. But as you might recall, the Harpervision settings were a hack using SRD mode which bypassed the Dark HDR settings. They seemed to look good enough for me, but I also didn't have a reference to compare against.
One correction, I don't have the Spears and Munsil disc, what I have is the DVE HD Basics disc. I don't believe there is a way to use the SRD disc for HDR calibration, but if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. For now, I'll keep an eye out for an HDR calibration disc.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
Unfortunately there are no HDR calibration discs available at this time. You can look into something like this over at AVS. I haven't checked them out yet but I'm downloading them now.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Back Speakers
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
This may be somewhere in that avs thread you posted, I know this guy has a thread there RMasciola. You can download the patterns or get them on disc here https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.com/products.html if that helps.
Yeah I have that one I think. That's what I was looking for originally but I found that other one. I've never used RMasciola's patterns either. But I do have them on a thumb drive someplace.

Top Bottom