easier alternative to room rq wizard (REW)

drnick88101

Hello. When searching for speaker calibration programs the awesome REW application always shows up at the top. It is very intimidating, and I am very inexperienced with this type of program so it was overwhelming. There are several guides and I had to look at about 4 different ones before I was able to calibrate my speakers. I just found this program though called Cavern that does the same thing with basically a 1 click button. The measurement test tone sounded the same as the REW and Dirac test tones. If any of you guys felt too intimidated to try REW (don't be you can figure it out, i believe in you!), this Cavern program is amazing. I cant believe I had never heard of it before. Im still too new to post links but if you search for "cavern quickeq" it should come up. im not the developer of the program and this is not a paid promotion, i was just blown away by this program i never see anyone mentioning.

DanDan

Staff member
I have been saying this for some time. JohnPM the creator is very generous. People keep asking for more and more features...... If I may suggest..... a Lite Version and a Pro (paid) version.

jeb109

Registered
More  
Main Amp
Bryston PowerPack 120 mono (2)
Additional Amp
built into subs
DAC
Oppo UDP205
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo UDP205
Front Speakers
B&W Nautilus 805
Front Height Speakers
Subwoofers
JLA e112
Video Display Device
Sony XBR 950H
Streaming Equipment
Oppo UDP205
Streaming Subscriptions
Roon, Qobuz, Tidal
Norton flagged this as UNSAFE. Is it safe? Also, which version should I download (assuming it's safe)? 64 bit 1.5 (my computer is 64 bit processor) OR API 1.5?over a year.

Follow up- Norton flags a ,lot of legitimate sites as unsafe. Blocked my tickets purchase to Carnegie Hall, for example. REW is safe. I've been logging on for a year.

Last edited:

drnick88101

im not the author of the program so i cant guarantee theres no malware but i havent seen any and ive been using it for about 1 month. the download you want is the cavern driver (64bit more than likely). im not sure what the other programs are for, probably something way too advanced for me.

Hello. When searching for speaker calibration programs the awesome REW application always shows up at the top. It is very intimidating, and I am very inexperienced with this type of program so it was overwhelming. There are several guides and I had to look at about 4 different ones before I was able to calibrate my speakers. I just found this program though called Cavern that does the same thing with basically a 1 click button. The measurement test tone sounded the same as the REW and Dirac test tones. If any of you guys felt too intimidated to try REW (don't be you can figure it out, i believe in you!), this Cavern program is amazing. I cant believe I had never heard of it before. Im still too new to post links but if you search for "cavern quickeq" it should come up. im not the developer of the program and this is not a paid promotion, i was just blown away by this program i never see anyone mentioning.
Any acoustical measurement with enough power to be truly useful will require any non-technical user to spend some quality time climbing Mr. Learning Curve. Having been a professional studio technician and recording engineer, I too have been learning about the proper use of REW.

rattus

More  
Front Speakers
ADAM A5X
Subwoofers
ADAM Sub 8
Norton flagged this as UNSAFE. Is it safe?
The website is not even HTTPS so that's a no from me.

I have been saying this for some time. JohnPM the creator is very generous. People keep asking for more and more features...... If I may suggest..... a Lite Version and a Pro (paid) version.

A Lite version of REW would be a godsend. All I really need is a spectrum analyser and a way to generate either a room correction EQ or IR file from several mic measurements, which it does excellently already of course.
Certainly it's an amazing program with a vast array of features which may be useful for some people. John is indeed most generous with his support in the forum.

Nathan Lively

Hey drnick88101, the simple path is to hire someone else to do it for you. Although most of us default to the DIY solution, if you are a beginner, it will always be faster and cheaper to get someone else to do it for you, or at least help you. You need specialized tools and experience to get the ROI from an audio analyzer. Good luck in your search!

DanDan

Staff member
Many of us work mostly remotely now. We can send a simple WAV file for you to play back. Record the sound in the room with single L, then R, and finally dual L+R. Send us the recordings and we can submit them into REW or RodeTest etc. to convolute. Being There!

JohnGraves

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
YAMAHA RX-A2070
Additional Amp
YAMAHA RS-600
OPPO UDP-203
Front Speakers
PARADIGM
Center Channel Speaker
PARADIGM CS-450
Surround Speakers
PARADIGM (IN WALL)
Surround Back Speakers
PARADIGM (IN WALL)
Subwoofers
PARADIGM & M&K
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X790 (RS540)
Screen
VUTEC BRIGHT WHITE 110" 16X9
Remote Control
HARMONY ULTIMATE ONE
Streaming Subscriptions
ZAPPITI MINI-4K HDR, ZIDOO z9S,
The website is not even HTTPS so that's a no from me.

A Lite version of REW would be a godsend. All I really need is a spectrum analyser and a way to generate either a room correction EQ or IR file from several mic measurements, which it does excellently already of course.
Certainly it's an amazing program with a vast array of features which may be useful for some people. John is indeed most generous with his support in the forum.

I downloaded the QuickEQ Cavern Driver. When I unzipped it, Norton immediately flagged 2 of the files and quarantined them. It sounds like a worthwhile tool, but the security issue stops me in my tracks

VoidX

More  
Cavern
Main Amp
Crown XLS-202
Additional Amp
TPA3116D2 x3
DAC
ASUS Xonar U7 MKII
PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch R-15M
Center Channel Speaker
JBL 8340A
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch R-15M
Rear Height Speakers
DIY
Subwoofers
IMAX DSL-1D + 3x DIY
Video Display Device
Overmax Multipic 4.1
Screen
Blanket :)
Remote Control
Cavern Remote
im not the developer of the program and this is not a paid promotion, i was just blown away by this program i never see anyone mentioning.
Hi, I'm the developer of Cavern, I was summoned here from another forum. Thank you for trying the software, and I'm glad you like it. If you need any features, just send me a message on the form on my website. I can't insert links because this is my first post, but my website is en.sbence.hu.

Norton flagged this as UNSAFE. Is it safe?
and
It sounds like a worthwhile tool, but the security issue stops me in my tracks
I can assure you that Cavern is completely safe, it doesn't even have a single line of code that accesses the internet. You can check it for yourself on GitHub, the project is open source. The UI is not, but you can use dnSpy, I won't obfuscate anything. It would require a certificate to pass most virus checks, but it costs as much as my monthly wage. I believe open sourcing is also a fair way to prove safety. If you can, please send the files to Norton for further analysis, I hope they'll fix this false alert as the codebase is mostly the Unity engine and this might affect thousands of other software.

If I may suggest..... a Lite Version and a Pro (paid) version.
Actually, Cavern is still not "Lite" enough for many users, even though it was meant to be some kind of REW Lite. I'm working on both a Lite and Pro version, where Lite is an "answer some non-technical questions, and the settings will be applied for you" version, and the Pro will have complete time-domain corrections like Dirac Live, not just a simple delay fix.

Also, which version should I download (assuming it's safe)? 64 bit 1.5 (my computer is 64 bit processor) OR API 1.5?
and
im not sure what the other programs are for
This is an issue someone else noted a few days ago, I'll reshape the download page. You'll need the 64 bit driver for this, API is intended for developers, as Cavern is not an EQ software but a complete audio engine like Dolby Atmos.
Download page fixed.

The website is not even HTTPS
I can't afford it. An SSL certificate costs 80% my rent.

All I really need is a spectrum analyser and a way to generate either a room correction EQ or IR file from several mic measurements
Cavern can do this, even with multiple microphones at the same time.

Last edited:

rattus

More  
Front Speakers
ADAM A5X
Subwoofers
ADAM Sub 8
Hi @VoidX and thanks for posting. It looks like excellent software.
I just ran this through Virustotal and it detected no malware, including NOD32 which is what I have on my Windows system. I'm a Linux user 99.9% of the time so would mainly use it to generate EQ or IR profiles but will try it for room correction in Windows soon as currently sound is much better in Linux.
BTW, open source is not a guarantee of safety, only that others can read the code. If one doesn't know code, it's a matter of trust. However, passing Virustotal test gives me enough confidence to try it.

VoidX

More  
Cavern
Main Amp
Crown XLS-202
Additional Amp
TPA3116D2 x3
DAC
ASUS Xonar U7 MKII
PC
Front Speakers
Klipsch R-15M
Center Channel Speaker
JBL 8340A
Surround Back Speakers
DIY
Front Height Speakers
Klipsch R-15M
Rear Height Speakers
DIY
Subwoofers
IMAX DSL-1D + 3x DIY
Video Display Device
Overmax Multipic 4.1
Screen
Blanket :)
Remote Control
Cavern Remote
Hi @VoidX and thanks for posting. It looks like excellent software.
I just ran this through Virustotal and it detected no malware, including NOD32 which is what I have on my Windows system. I'm a Linux user 99.9% of the time so would mainly use it to generate EQ or IR profiles but will try it for room correction in Windows soon as currently sound is much better in Linux.
Thank you! Wine supports Cavern, but if a new version broke it, you could export an IR room correction on Windows, which also contains gain and delay.

Top Bottom