Earthworks 480M mic

JWeber

Registered
I have a Earthworks 480M mic. I'm guessing it may have came with our old DBX driverack. I contacted the Earthworks and DBX and there is no calibration file available for the mic. They say it is pretty flat. If you were me, a novice trying to help fix sound issues for my church, using REW for the first time... would you use this mic even though it doesn't have a calibration file, or would you buy a new mic that comes with a calibration file? Thanks

sm52

If the Earthworks answered that their microphone does not need a calibration file, then that's good. So you have a good microphone. But you can check it. Find someone near you who has a microphone with a factory calibration file, arrange to measure both microphones on the speaker that can produce the widest possible frequency range, and compare the graphs. The measurement conditions for both microphones should not be different. The same distances from the microphone to the speaker, and everything else is the same.

JWeber

Registered
I think it was not so much that it didn't need a calibration file, but that they didn't have one. I like the idea of testing it. If anyone is reading this and they are within an hour of Chicago's near West Suburbs and are willing to run a test with me or let me borrow a mic let me know.

JWeber

Registered
Thank you. That's a great idea. I'll reach out to him today.

Top Bottom