Paradigm Monitor 7
Center Channel Speaker
Paradigm CC-370
Surround Speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor
Surround Back Speakers
Custom DIY Dipolar
Rear Height Speakers
(2x) DIY Mach Five UXL-18 (sealed, 3.3 net c.f.)
Subwoofers
DIY Adire Tempest Subwoofer (210L, 19Hz tune)
Other Speakers or Equipment
MiniDSP Balanced 2x4
Video Display Device
Panasonic V10 58" plasma display
Streaming Subscriptions
(2x) Buttkicker LFE and BKA1000-N amplifier
When we built our current HT...we found that the front wall being given absorptive treatment, along with the first reflection panels made a HUGE difference in Soundstage, and spaciousness.

Yes, you often hear it said that a lot of spaciousness can come from the front wall being left partly reflective, but all I can hear from that is poor imaging. Get your spaciousness elsewhere, later reflections, mainly from the rear of the room.

I've been doing some reading on the usual treatment strategies for HT rooms, and I think though the standard used to be something like a layer or two of Linacoustic or similar over the whole wall, that strategy seems to be changing to include more reflection or diffusion. I'm not sure what this differing approach does, and I'm still working on what to do in our house, but it would be great to see measured results between the two, and hear direct experiences with both.

As of today, I'm still likely planning to treat the whole wall, but I'm open to hearing about the different strategies.

Tonto

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha RXV-795a
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
X-Box 1s
Front Speakers
Chane A5rx-c's
Center Channel Speaker
Chane A2rx-c
Surround Speakers
A1rx-c's
Surround Back Speakers
A1rx-c's
Subwoofers
SVS PB13U
Other Speakers or Equipment
APC S15
Video Display Device
Samsung Smart TV
Streaming Subscriptions
Yamaha S796 DVD Player
It's my understanding that whole wall absorption on the front, with diffusion behind the speakers if giving the best results. You need a minimum of 4 ft for diffusion to work, and most of us have more than that. So diffusion up front should make a significant improvement. It would be nice to see before and after measurements.

Top Bottom