Dune

Movie: :4.5stars:
4K Video: :5stars:
Video: :4.5stars:
Audio: :5stars:
Extras: :3.5stars:
Final Score: :4.5stars:

Movie

Dune has been a notoriously hard book to adapt to screen. Along with Lord of the Rings it is considered one of the most seminal pieces of sci-fi/fantasy out there, but is also notoriously problematic when being brought to film. A massively dense novel (though nothing compared to the sequels), Dune has been tried multiple times. The first being Alejandro Jodorowsky’s failed attempt to bring the book to light, then the infamously campy David Lynch film. A film so epically crazy and bad that it has garnered a cult following despite the fact that it is so far removed from the actual novel as to almost be in a different universe. Back in 1984 the technology to do the film’s visual aesthetics justice just wasn’t there, not to mention the move was just a gigantic cluster bomb of studio vs. directorial visions, which ended up just gutting the movie. The 2000 SyFy miniseries wasn’t actually half bad, even though it was mainly hamstrung by budget and an attempt to keep it palatable for the masses. However, it was also the most book accurate portrayal at the time, even though it was no masterpiece (the sequel which tried to do the 2nd book was met with a less charming fate though).

Dune is a tough book to adapt, and for good reason. I could go into a 12 page essay on the history and thematic elements of Dune and it’s sequels in an attempt to explain why (I actually re-wrote this review several times because I was waxing on too long about the history and reasons why), but needless to say it’s sort of the anti “Lord of the Rings” if you will. By that I mean that while Tolkien crafted a low technology world with good vs evil, white vs. black, heroes vs. villains….Dune is exact opposite. Frank Herbert was obsessed with the futility of creating a super human (something mankind was talking about philosophically for decades during his life) and his nihilist leanings made him delve into what would happen if humanity truly was doomed, and what it would take to set human kind back on the right path. There are no heroes, there are no villains, just a fascist reality where humans do what humans do for their own reasons. As such we are born a “hero” in the form of Paul Atreides (Maud’dib as christened by his desert dwelling brethren). A world where someone has to see the future even when no one else will, and do the hard things to set the world on the right path, even if he has to become a monster to do so.

The world of Dune opens up with the introduction of Duke Leo Atreides (Oscar Isaac) who has just been given control of the world of Arrakis from the evil and twisted Harkonen. The world is much different than what you and I would imagine the world would be. However, It wasn’t always that way. We went to the stars, we created gigantic machines to do things for us, and humanity lived the life we had envisioned. That is until humans got stagnant and was only stirred from their stagnation by a war against artificial intelligent machines. Humanity went a different path, eliminating computers and AI from our lives, going so far as to genetically craft humans who could compute and calculate as fast as computer known as Mentats (you see them in the film, but they’re not explained as thoroughly as the book). However, we have once more stagnated after 100s of thousands of years of existence, with factions of humanity only held together by the domination of the Emperor and his forces. And this is where we enter the picture. House Atreides being set up for failure due to the Emperor fearing Leto and the public support he wields. Thus the jealous emperor sends house Atreides to take over the production of spice (a hallucinogenic substance only found on Arrakis created by giant sand worms). A substance that allows for some portions of genetically modified humans to allow for prescience and the ability to use space travel (the space guild, although that is only barely mentioned here). It quite literally is what binds humanity together as a single unified species, and without it we would fracture and die off (something which is explored HEAVILY in the sequels). While Leto and his Benegessirt (a caste of supernaturally gifted witch like women with their OWN agenda) consort (Rebecca Ferguson) think that this is a gift form the Emperor, we know that it is actually a setup. The Emperor rightfully assumes that the ousted House Harkonnen will wage all out war on House Atreides, and wipe them off the face of the earth without the public knowing that Emperor had any involvement.
I could go into soooooooooo much more detail about what’s happening as an avid fan of the book, but lets just say that it’s best to watch what unfolds rather than have me explain the rest. I was initially worried about the film’s production, but with the inclusion of Denis Villeneuve as director and co-writer I was a little less hesitant. The man has done incredible work with Sicario and Blade Runner 2049, so I wanted to see what he would do with the book. It was almost till theatrical release when rumors were finally confirmed though. Villeneuve and Warner weren’t adapting the first book in whole. Instead they played the long game and risked it all by only adapting the first 30-40% of the book, ending right when Leto’s son Paul (Timothee Chalamet) and his mother escape the Harkonnen devestation and head off into the desert. The rest will be released at a later time (now confirmed as 2023). This was a HUGE risk, being that if this movie bombed, we’d never see a completion to the first novel and would probably be ridiculed as just another failed attempt. Luckily sci-fi fans ate up the movie like starving wolves, pretty much confirming that we’d complete this one, and POSSIBLY see a third one according to Denis Villeneuve.

The movie plays things close to the vest, unveiling the story ala the book, just without all of the copious amounts of narrative backstory that Herbert crammed into the book. We get an idea of the twisted nature of the Harkonnens thanks to Stellan Skarsgard and Dave Bautista (who is surprisingly tame and well used considering he’s not a great actor), and Tomothee Chalamet nails it as young Paul. A man who is well trained, optmistic, but also realizes that his life is changing into something that he’s not ready for at the same time. The movie teases us with the reveals about the Benegessirit and Mentats without just exposition dumping, but there is are several minor flaws. The first comes in the form of the narration. It ends so abruptly that unless you realize that this is simply a part one, will rub you the wrong way. The second is Zendaya and Jason Momoa’s acting. Zendaya gets maybe 5-10 minutes of screentime so it’s hard to see how she’ll do as Paul’s consort Chani, but I wasn’t too impressed with her. The other is Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho. Fans of the book already know too well how he will be a MAJOR part of the sequels, and is an iconic character (to trim things up nicely, the only HERO in the entire Dune universe is probably Duncan Idaho) and Momoa plays Duncan like he does all his characters. A gravely voiced hulking hunk of muscle who kind of emotes himself as a dude-bro.

All that being said, Dune ended up being excellent. It may not be the best movie of the year, but it was a nearly flawless adaptation of the book (as much as it covered). The tone, the aesthetics, the acting, they all just oozed old school “Dune”. I haven’t read the book for about 5-6 years, but if you’re at ALL a fan of the book, then this will tickle you pink with glee. Newbies will still be able to digest the movie quite well, as it doesn’t just throw all the INSANE bizarre crazinesss from the book on screen and expect you to just swallow it. Things unfold naturally, allowing the viewer to get deeper and deeper into the lore until you realize that the movie is ending.

Rated PG-13 for Sequences of Strong Violence, some disturbing images and suggestive material

4K Video: :5stars: Video: :4.5stars:
Dune is probably the demo movie of the year, with an absolutely show stopping 4K UHD transfer that is as perfect as they come. The Blu-ray was technically excellent, but struggled a bit with black levels and some of the gray and dusty environments showing noise. However, the 4K disc just has the extra ooomph to push the 1080p disc down a solid notch. The film is heavily stylized, with dusty and sandy colors mixed with a slightly blue gray tinge that gives portions of the film a bleak look. Black levels are absolutely paramount here, as the film is just so incredibly dark most of the time. The Dolby Vision really does enhance the blacks a LOT. Just look at Paul’s jacket as he walks up to his father on the cliff, you can actually see more than just a black coat, but rather all the nuances and different shades of black that contrast each other on the ornate jacket. The fight with the Sardakaur when the invasian happens fills the night sky with burning flames, flickering shadows and white against darkness that allows for every little bit of detail to be present. I did still notice a FEW noise spikes, but those were very minute and only noticeable because I was specifically looking for them. One thing of note. The film came with IMAX switching aspect ratios in the theater, but on the home video release (both Blu-ray and 4K UHD) there was only a static aspect ratio of 2.39:1. Still, one of the single best 4K discs I’ve ever seen, and will be a demo film for years to come.

Audio: :5stars:
Just as impressive is the Dolby Atmos mix found on both the 4K UHD and Blu-ray discs. The video was a show stopper, but the audio simply tears down the walls. This is one of the most dynamic and vibrant sounding mixes that I’ve heard. The opening scenes with Paul and Leto on the cliff showcase whispering winds that flicker from one end of the surround setup to the other, but when the powerful score and action starts kicking up later in the film it will bring you to your knees. The hummingbird jumpers that they use to get around with pulsates and throbs with visceral energy, and the bass response is absolutely absurd at times. I’m not talking over cooked hot bass, but really smooth, REALLY powerful, and also really balanced in how its integrated with the rest of the film. Honestly, this is one of the single best mixes I’ve heard in years, with perfect dialog and a surround sound stage that is awe inspiring. The overheads get some nifty use during the battle, as well as during the worm encounter or anytime the jumpers come into play. Wowza.

Extras: :3.5stars:
• The Royal Houses

• Filmbooks: House Atreides
• Filmbooks: House Harkonnen
• Filmbooks: The Spice Melangelnside Dune - The Training Room
• Inside Dune: The Space Harvester
• Inside Dune: The Sardaukar Battle
• Building the Ancient Future
• My Desert, My Dune
• Constructing the Orniyhropters
• Designing the Sandworm
• Beware the Baron
• Wardrobe From Another World
• A New Soundscape

Final Score: :4.5stars:
Dune is an excellent sci-fi/fantasy flick that actually does the book justice for once. It’s filled with an INCREDIBLE array of actors (seriously, everyone from Oscar Isaacs, to Jason Momoa and Josh Brolin) and great performances all around. The only negative thing I can take away from it is that the whole “part one” thing means we’ll have to wait another 1.5 years before we can finish the novel (I’m still curious if the sequels will be made, as it takes the “hero” element of Paul and turns it on it’s ear. Something which Hollywood is usually loathe to do). The 4K UHD disc is nothing short of demo worthy, and simply put, is THE demo disc of the year so far. It’s perfect from head to toe technically speaking. Great watch, Great buy, fantastic all around.

Technical Specifications:

Starring: Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, Jason Momoa, Oscar Isaacs, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgard, Javier Bardem
Directed by: Denis Villeneuve
Written by: Jon Spaihts, Denis Villeneuve, Eric Roth
Aspect Ratio: 2.39:1 HEVC
Audio: English: Dolby Atmos (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Core), German, Italian Atmos, German, English, Italian, Spanish, Spanish (Castilian), Hindi DD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, German SDH, Italian SDH, Spanish, Cantonese, Danish, Finnish, Greek, Korean, Mandarin (Traditional), Norwegian, Swedish
Studio: Warner Brothers
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 155 Minutes
Blu-ray Release Date: January 11th, 2022

Recommendation: Great Watch

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Yamaha TRS-7850 Atmos Receiver
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB820 4K UHD Player
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
2x Marty subs (full size with SI 18's)
Video Display Device
Sony 85 inch X950H FALD TV

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Looks like this needs to be on my watch list. I've heard such varied takes on it, but I think you've pushed me over the edge, Mike!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Looks like this needs to be on my watch list. I've heard such varied takes on it, but I think you've pushed me over the edge, Mike!

knowing how you nerd out about demo discs like I do, you need to watch it at the very least, even if you don't love it. It's STUNNING tech wise. It got me so excited, then so angry due with me going "Disney!!! THIS is how you do audio!!!!!"

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Ok. I’m in.

Did you happen to watch it on HBO Max?

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Atlantic Technology OBA-6
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB3000, JBL d110 x2, HSU 15H-MK2
MiniDSP controlling all of the subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
110" Stewart Firehawk G5 2.35:1
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
Michael,

Great review and I totally agree with the audio. This disc will definitely be used in any future subwoofer reviews I do. At one point, I think my SVS broke a sweat from all of the extra work!

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Michael,

Great review and I totally agree with the audio. This disc will definitely be used in any future subwoofer reviews I do. At one point, I think my SVS broke a sweat from all of the extra work!

it's not even that the bass is overpowering like Godzilla. It's just so smooth and insanely balanced, yet so powerful at the same time. The scene with the worm and the trapped spice ship was probably the most intense and immersive scene I'd heard in audio for YEARS

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
it's not even that the bass is overpowering like Godzilla. It's just so smooth and insanely balanced, yet so powerful at the same time. The scene with the worm and the trapped spice ship was probably the most intense and immersive scene I'd heard in audio for YEARS

That will be a demo scene in live showrooms kind of like Twister sold people on DVD back in the 90s. Yes...I'm dating myself!

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
For those of us who know nothing about Dune, would we be able to follow the story line, or do you need some prior Dune knowledge to really enjoy it (other than the soundtrack)?

Epoxy1

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
ATI NCore AT527NC
Additional Amp
ATI NCore AT624NC
Panasonic DP-UB420
Front Speakers
M&K S150
Center Channel Speaker
M&K S150
Surround Speakers
M&K SS150
Surround Back Speakers
M&K SS150
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC RS2000
Screen
Remote Control
URC MX-980
Streaming Subscriptions
Roku Ultra, TiVo Edge
For those of us who know nothing about Dune, would we be able to follow the story line, or do you need some prior Dune knowledge to really enjoy it (other than the soundtrack)?

I had no prior knowledge at all and was able to follow the story. If you buy the disc, the Blu-ray has some great featurettes that help fill in the story. The first act moves pretty fast, but the director didn't got too fast that you can't keep up.

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device

not at all. it's very accessible to someone with little knowledge. It's just that someone who's read the books may appreciate it a little more as it's VERY close to the book in spirit and form, and there's a lot of rich backstory that they get right that someone not familiar with the story may not pick up. That's all

Michael Scott

Moderator / Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Other Amp
Peavy IPR 3000 for subs
Front Speakers
Cheap Thrills Mains
Center Channel Speaker
Cheap Thrills Center
Surround Speakers
Volt 10 Surrounds
Surround Back Speakers
Volt 10 Rear Surrounds
Rear Height Speakers
Volt 6 Overheads
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
one thing that I must take note of is that while Stellan Skarsgard is fantastic as the Baron Harkonnen, I was SLIGHTLY disappointed that they didn't show just how vile and evil and depraved the Harkonnens really were. It would make the film a hard NC-17 if they did, but the 1984 did a better job at showing at just how insane and twistedly depraved they were.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
Thank you for the responses. Sounds like a winner.

mechman

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Pioneer VSX-832
Front Speakers
Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 55s
Center Channel Speaker
Definitive Technology CS8040
Surround Back Speakers
Definitive Technology DI6.5R
Apple TV 4K
Video Display Device
LG OLED65C7P
Remote Control
Logitech Harmony 650
Streaming Subscriptions
HBO Max, YouTubeTV, Hulu, Netflix, Disney+
Picked this one up. It’s the first release that I’ve been compelled to purchase in quite some time.

typ44q

More  
Marantz SR6011
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA 3
Additional Amp
Emotiva UPA 7
Other Amp
Behringer NU 6000 DSP
Oppo BDP 103, Nvidia Shield Pro, Panasonic UHD
Front Speakers
Polk LSiM705
Center Channel Speaker
Polk LSiM706c
Surround Speakers
Polk LSiM F/X
Subwoofers
Dayton Audio 18" Ultimax Subwoofer
Video Display Device
Sony XBR-65A1E
Remote Control
Harmony touch
Streaming Equipment
Plex server 80TB NAS
Watched this on HBO then went to the theaters to see it, needless to say I am a fan of the movie and really looking forward to picking this up on UHD
Thanks for the review!

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
Ordered today :)
Saw it originally on HBO when it was released. Much too good of a video/audio review to pass on the 4k disc, though. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom