StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Other Speakers or Equipment
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
that's why I personaly think the best "reference level" for your system is calibrated per genre and using ears only
Exactly... which is why you determine the amount of shelf filter you need to get the bass appropriate for your ears at the level you listen to.

You may have several presets like I do with different amounts of bass levels for different songs and different volumes.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
we can say: up to 1000Hz our inroom meassurements show what we hear. obove that we have to start observing the direct sound
Not necessarily... it all depends on the room and the speakers in use. If you have a wide dispersion speaker that is closer to untreated walls, you will like hear more reflections than you will with a narrow dispersion speaker with treated walls.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
I beg to differ. Differences in sound reproduction (amp, speaker, room acoustics) should not become part of the art. It creates two issues:
1. You can never know what the artist wanted you to hear because you don't know and therefore can't recreate the acoustical environment in which he made his artistic decisions.
2. You can never easily adjust for your personal preference. One recording might need different adjustments than the other because it was created in a different acoustical environment. Again you don't know what to adjust for. The endless tweaking for "best sound quality" begins...

In my mind better reproduction standards would let you appreciate the art even more. Right now it just creates confusion and some of the art is even lost.

To the best of my knowledge no two live performance venues or recording studios are the same or have the same sound production and/or reproduction equipment... Even in most live venues and recording studios there are changes in equipment and placement of equipment on as needed basis (read often with each performance and/or project)... Good luck in keeping it all "standard"... And do you dummy it all down to a common denominator or raise the bar in all instances to some "standard"? Can everyone have a Neve 88RS with full Flying Faders Mix Recall?... Likewise reproduction in ones home living room or theatre... Your just not going to get your living room or home theatre to sound like the The Fillmore, Hollywood Bowl, Electric Lady Studios or the Village Recorder... To me the production chain from the performer(s) to the "mastering" is the art... Let the standard(s) come into play in the duplication and distribution format(s) chain...

Last edited:

markus

To the best of my knowledge no two live performance venues or recording studios are the same or have the same sound production and/or reproduction equipment... Even in most live venues and recording studios there are changes in equipment and placement of equipment on as needed basis (read often with each performance and/or project)... Good luck in keeping it all "standard"... And do you dummy it all down to a common denominator or raise the bar in all instances to some "standard"? Can everyone have a Neve 88RS with full Flying Faders Mix Recall?... Likewise reproduction in ones home living room or theatre... Your just not going to get your living room or home theatre to sound like the The Fillmore, Hollywood Bowl, Electric Lady Studios or the Village Recorder... To me the production chain from the performer(s) to the "mastering" is the art... Let the standard(s) come into play in the duplication and distribution format(s) chain...

As we're off-topic just a link worth following: http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2009/10/audios-circle-of-confusion.html

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX, Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Tone Projects Michelangelo, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Exactly... which is why you determine the amount of shelf filter you need to get the bass appropriate for your ears at the level you listen to.

You may have several presets like I do with different amounts of bass levels for different songs and different volumes.

Pretty easy to have several presets with Roon... Been doing this ever since I started using Roon... And Reverberate plugin within Audirvana before that...

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
What am I missing here? Isn’t everyone kind of saying the same thing?
Circle of Confusion is real? No standards for playback equipment (speakers/rooms) = never hearing what anyone in the chain intended?
We can attempt to minimize the various distortions, but adjusting the tonal balance is all preference, right?

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
In my experience there is no Circle of Confusion from the point of view of the artists, performer(s), recording, mixing and mastering engineers, producers, musicians, songwriters, composers, arrangers, etc... Everyone sounds different... Everyone does things different and thats OK... Everyone has different gear and thats OK... Those are the things that make the end product unique... I think the confusion is that some folks think this creation and production chain should be the same or sound the same... Why?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Pretty easy to have several presets with Roon... Been doing this ever since I started using Roon... And Reverberate plugin within Audirvana before that...
Yep... when using Convolver I do that. However, it's easier for me when using Dirac to set it up on the miniDSP SHD. I have 4 presets there with Dirac on each one, and 10 bands of PEQ or Shelf filters to boot if needed. I'm constantly experimenting with EQ, changing targets, etc... and it really ALL sounds good to me for the most part.

markus

In my experience there is no Circle of Confusion from the point of view of the artists, performer(s), recording, mixing and mastering engineers, producers, musicians, songwriters, composers, arrangers, etc... Everyone sounds different... Everyone does things different and thats OK... Everyone has different gear and thats OK... Those are the things that make the end product unique... I think the confusion is that some folks think this creation and production chain should be the same or sound the same... Why?

You have to differentiate between creation and reproduction. In creation anything is possible but when you now reproduce the art with reproduction devices in a reproduction environment that is different from the one in creation then you're ultimately NOT hearing what the artist intended you to hear. Reproduction should be a sonically transparent process and not change the art in unpredictable ways. I'd like to hear the original. Then I still can decide if it's good or bad or if I need to tweak it in a way so it suits my preference.

Last edited:

ddude003

AV Addict
More  
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Computer Audio
DAC
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Video Display Device
Screen
Remote Control
Streaming Equipment
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
In the content creation process there is reproduction... Do the creators advertise to the consumer what the creation and reproduction equipment and tools are? If you knew could you duplicate these in your home environment? I doubt you could keep up with most venue or studio production/reproduction chains... Maybe you could for studio A but what about the rest? Heck, some studios have multiple "rooms", each with its own gear and even more gear on hand to pick and choose from depending on the artist(s) taste... That being said, you never really know what the artist(s) wanted you to hear... As a consumer of content you will have to find something that sounds good to you, in your home space and tune it to suit your budget and ears... BTY, in my opinion, the most unpredictable thing in your home reproduction environment is your ears/brain then the room...

Last edited:

markus

In the content creation process there is reproduction... Do the creators advertise to the consumer what the creation and reproduction equipment and tools are? If you knew could you duplicate these in your home environment? I doubt you could keep up with most venue or studio production/reproduction chains... Maybe you could for studio A but what about the rest? Heck, some studios have multiple "rooms", each with its own gear and even more gear on hand to pick and choose from depending on the artist(s) taste... That being said, you never really know what the artist(s) wanted you to hear... As a consumer of content you will have to find something that sounds good to you, in your home space and tune it to suit your budget and ears... BTY, in my opinion, the most unpredictable thing in your home reproduction environment is your ears/brain then the room...

Yes, "In the content creation process there is reproduction" involved but it's just a technical necessity and it's exactly the part that needs standardization. There are official standards and recommendations, e.g. this and that. They are just not as good as they would need to be. Again, standardization of audio monitoring does NOT limit anybody from using whatever gear they want for creating a recording.
In other words, a reproduction device is necessary to be able to listen to stereo and multichannel recordings. It's not like going to a museum and looking at a painting. In audio an "apparatus" is needed to be able to "look" at the art. If the behavior of the apparatus varies in unpredictable ways you're not looking at the art as intended by the artist. In fact it limits the art itself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom