Dirac's New Auto Target Curve Delivers a Simplified Approach to Better Sound

full?d=1648569213.png

(March 29, 2022) Dirac has announced a new Auto Target Curve functionality for Dirac Live, making it easier for enthusiasts to achieve the best possible sound quality from their reference system. Dirac Live's Auto Target Curve automatically generates a target curve based on a system's unique measurements, radically reducing the amount of in-depth knowledge needed to properly fine tune audio output. This release can be enjoyed by owners of NAD, Onkyo, Pioneer, Integra, and Pioneer Elite gear that's compatible with the Dirac mobile app. Dirac says that Auto Target Curve is being launched on its mobile platform first, with desktop functionality due to launch later this year.

"Many of the first uses of Dirac Live—more than a decade ago—were in cinemas or high-end home theaters, where experts calibrated and tuned sound systems using Dirac Live. But that's no longer the case," said Jakob Ågren, Head of Product Management at Dirac. "With more mass-market AVRs now offering our breakthrough solution, Dirac Live has gone mainstream. However, when addressing this new, larger audience, it became clear that attaining the optimal sound experience should be as easy as possible. Our new auto target curve eliminates the need for manual adjustments, allowing new users to sit back and enjoy superior sound."

The new Auto Target Curve feature is designed to faithfully reflect the inherent character of a speaker system, minus the adverse acoustic effects of the room. It gives enthusiasts access to a balanced response with a more natural slope capable of preserving a speaker's individual flavor, while tightening up performance across the board. Should further tweaking be required to achieve optimal sound, enthusiasts can manually adjust Auto Target Curve through a new simplified interface in the Dirac Live mobile app. Dirac says the interface provides a simple drag feature to increase or decrease output. And for old-school fans of Dirac's classic filter design, that approach will remain available for use.

For more information, visit www.dirac.com.

witwald

The B&K curve is a little nonlinear. It is relatively flat in the decade between 20Hz and 200Hz, but between 500Hz and 20kHz

Not sure which meaning of Flat is intended here.
View attachment 50937

I was simply referring to the curve between 20Hz and 200Hz in isolation. To further explain, at 20Hz it is at 82.5dB, at 70Hz it is at 83dB and at 200Hz it is at 82.5dB. That makes it 82.75dB ±0.25dB between 20Hz and 200Hz. That seems flat to within ±0.25dB.

To my eye. I see +3dB peaking at round 70-80Hz with a very gradual slope all the way up to 2kHz. This is a curved tilt encompassing by far the majority of significant spectrum. AM Radio only covers to 4kHz. Again, not even a shelf, but a CURVED TILT.
I can only agree with your description. I was trying to highlight that the sloped part of the curve extended from a relatively flat section, that's all. Hopefully, I've clarified my line of thinking.

Last edited:

DanDan

Staff member
Comprendo tx. I guess when I see + dB and -dB figures I immediately look for the flat reference. In the Dolby Atmos spec it is indeed your flat line, but also presumably Reference Level. The plateau we are referring to, 20-200 is quite elevated with regard to that other meaning of flat. Broadly +3dB. My variation on B&K drops back to 0dB at 30Hz, so definitely curvy. I would also use the 'Windows' in Dirac Live to prevent attempts at Eq below 30Hz or perhaps 25Hz. I found that the choice of way point causes dramatic tonal shift. e.g. 2K has quite a bit more articulation and bite than IK. Also by adding way points one can effectively bend the Dirac Eq. These slight arcs are also tonally very significant.

Top Bottom