Dirac Research Officially Launches Major Update at CES 2018

Dirac Research Officially Launches Major Update at CES 2018

full?d=1512580151.png

(Dirac Research)
Editor’s Note: The following article has been updated since its original December 2017 release. AV NIRVANA had an opportunity to sit down with Dirac’s Jakob Ågren at CES 2018 and review a prototype version of Dirac’s new software platform. The room’s demo system performed as one would expect, delivering a wider and more focused soundstage.

(January 17, 2018) Dirac Research landed at CES 2018 with a next-generation version of its vaunted Dirac Live platform in tow. The new release contains a refreshed and simplified user interface, a new correction algorithm, and multi-language support. The company says that changes are largely based on user input and newly available technical advances, but also allows for a new platform that’s easier to update as new advances are created and made available.

“Dirac Live has been delivering the world’s best room correction for many years,” said Niklas Thorin (Dirac’s General Manager of High Performance Audio). “These updates broaden the market and deliver user-requested features including support for Spanish, French, Mandarin and Japanese languages, a new, more user-friendly interface and configuration process, and an even more advanced algorithm.”

From a technical perspective, Dirac’s new algorithm further improves the software’s ability to create more defined sound stage and imaging. The current version of Dirac Live measures the phase of each individual stereo speaker, while the new version also analyzes speakers in stereo pairs. This inclusion ensures that paired speakers have a matched phase response, which (according to Dirac) will “deliver an immediate and obvious improvement to all users.”

Usability wise, the software’s new interface is designed to eliminate confusion. Dirac’s CES 2018 demo revealed an intuitive app based environment (due to be available for Android/iOS and Windows/OSX) designed to guide the next-gen software’s correction process, with oversite that confirms optimal settings have been implemented. This is fantastic news, making a complex process easier for less technically inclined audio fans. For those Dirac users that prefer more backend control over the correction process, the original software’s look and feel will be selectable and available for use.

“With our refreshed interface and configuration, users don’t need to be technical experts to gain optimal benefits from the platform,” Thorin added. “And an equally important change is the move toward a more mobile-friendly UI. The Dirac Live interface is now as accessible on a midsize tablet as it is on a larger laptop, giving installers flexibility in which tools they prefer using on site. Together, these improvements reaffirm our commitment to providing the best product, developing ever-improving room correction tools, and keeping current with peripheral technological advances.”

Following CEDIA 2017, we reported that Dirac’s technicians have been exploring multi-subwoofer and immersive sound solutions. As of now, Dirac does not offer any type of bass management, as that functionality is covered by each manufacturer’s own unique product platforms. According to Jakob Ågren, Dirac is considering adding bass management as part of a future update to the new Dirac Live package. Ågren says Dirac has planned for an elongated 2018 rollout, largely to allow for any bugs to be corrected once the product is used en masse.

The new generation of Dirac Live is expected to become publicly available sometime during Q1 2018. At that time, the new interface will be installed, but functionality will remain consistent with the original version. Updates to the software will roll out during the rest of the year. Dirac says that upgradeability of legacy equipment is manufacturer dependent.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
I do not think so. VST plugins are promised.

This was my understanding as well, but I am curious to see how it ends up being implemented. The concept, at it's core, is what Dr. Geddes studied and discussed in terms of the best way to address LF response issues in room. All speakers can and should support LF reproduction to improve the LF response. However to work right the dynamic capabilities of those speakers as well as their response must be understood. Feeding processed LF information to other speakers in a system could potentially lead to a rise in LF distortion from overloading the speaker. On wall surround speakers are a great example, most have a greater extension than their free air response would suggest due to boundary reinforcement. It may seem from a FR measurement that a surround speaker could contribute to the LF playback of a system down to say 50hz. However, that might only work up to 90db's, but after that point it would begin to cause port chuffing, exceed xmax, etc.

I really think that the concept of active room acoustics is the future and should be an aggressive area of research. In a 7.2.4 (or more) world, there are more than enough speakers in the room to actively manipulate and improve the room's acoustics, especially in the low frequencies. However, anything working below fs would work better if the LF dynamic capabilities of the other speakers was known. I think this could be included in the measurements though, simply do 3-4 sweeps and examine the rise in distortion. Dynamic filters could then be applied to ensure that a system's dynamics are not compromised but under most circumstances the acoustics are being addressed in an active and dynamic manner.

dziemian

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
minidsp nanoavr HDA
Main Amp
Cinepro 2k6
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
PS3
Front Speakers
Gedlee Abbey / CBT36K
Subwoofers
4 x DIY Aurasound 10"
Other Speakers or Equipment
Macmini
Video Display Device
eecolor LUT 3D box
Screen
Stewart 2.35
Well, I got a reply directly from Dirac when I asked specifically about Unison. They said it is too complicated to set it up at the moment so software will not likely to happen soonn but rather in closed hardware form. Where did you get info that Unison will be availabe as VST plugin? I think you misunderstood the message. The new official VST plugin will be there but it simply exchanges the beta one.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Well, I got a reply directly from Dirac when I asked specifically about Unison. They said it is too complicated to set it up at the moment so software will not likely to happen soonn but rather in closed hardware form. Where did you get info that Unison will be availabe as VST plugin? I think you misunderstood the message. The new official VST plugin will be there but it simply exchanges the beta one.

since @Flak frequents the forum, probably best just to let him Chime in on what DIRAC is planning. I believe that Unison won't be released soon, so there may not be much to share. I think the question is, will Unison include a software and/or VST plugin at some point, at launch? Will it initially or always be only an embedded product through a Dirac partnership.

My own opinion is that it would be much easier to execute the concept with a closed hardware solution and using a trained expert installer than to release it as a consumer level product. I've even started helping folks setup DIRAC around here and found the results they sometimes get on their own, due to little mistakes here and there, are quite different from what they should be. That having a little knowledge and experience of measurement really helps.

Kal Rubinson

Well, I got a reply directly from Dirac when I asked specifically about Unison. They said it is too complicated to set it up at the moment so software will not likely to happen soonn but rather in closed hardware form.
Yes. I read your post too quickly and I was not referring to Unison.

The new official VST plugin will be there but it simply exchanges the beta one.
Not exactly. It will be the standard form of the impending new DiracLive.

Flak

VIP Supporter
Yes, as stated by Kal plugins will be the standard form of the standalone version of new generation Dirac Live...
and Matthew is right in writing about Dirac Unison that "it would be much easier to execute the concept with a closed hardware solution and using a trained expert installer"

:) Flavio

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Yes, as stated by Kal plugins will be the standard form of the standalone version of new generation Dirac Live...
and Matthew is right in writing about Dirac Unison that "it would be much easier to execute the concept with a closed hardware solution and using a trained expert installer"

:) Flavio

Thanks Flavio!

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
Not sure I totally agree on having an expert do the calibration. Home theater people in general are experimenters and early adopters. Seems like they will usually find a way to do it themselves or not have it done at all. There are exceptions of course, rich people who hire everything out.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Not sure I totally agree on having an expert do the calibration. Home theater people in general are experimenters and early adopters. Seems like they will usually find a way to do it themselves or not have it done at all. There are exceptions of course, rich people who hire everything out.

Hi Wayne. I'm not suggesting taking away the capacity of individuals to tune their system. It's a very nuanced issue in this case. I can share more details offline but I've embarked in my own line of research that strongly parralels Diracs work around bass active acosutic treatment. The problem is that it is not easy to automate the characterization of the speakers and room at the level needed. An average user could easily make things much worse, the software would have no idea, and that user would think the software sucks.

It is likely that the best way to do this long term is with a 3D mic array that can acoustically visualize the room and a specialized setup procedure that can assess and characterize the dynamic capabilities of each speaker. This would allow the system to correctly map the speakers and room and appropriately use other speakers to actively smooth the bass and cancel reflections.

With atmos you even have enough speakers for full band active acoustics but I suspect the DSP capacity needed to do that might still a bit over the top. Harman has such a system for practice rooms and large performance spaces. I do think that is the future. Active acoustics are far more space efficient and the results far more dramatic. Imagine being able to hear a LEDE room, a non-environment room, a highly reverberant chamber, a controlled image design, etc. With active acoustics this is very possible and nothing like the fake reverb effects of yore. This would be highly realistic.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
Thanks, Matt, active acoustics is a concept I have been thinking/dreaming about for many years, and I had pretty much given up on it becoming a practical reality. Now here it is, almost,

Better study up on it before I say any more......

NBPK402

Staff member
VIP Supporter
I wish someone would come out with a Dirac box that had HDMI input, and analog outputs or multiple optical outputs. This would eliminate a DtoA conversion.

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
I hear you. The closest miniDSP comes to that now is a two-box approach with the nanoAVR-DL followed by a nanoAVR-HDA. I too would love to see a DL solution with HDMI in AND out AND analog outs AND bass management AND PEQ, all in the right order AND one bit rate throughout AND all in one box. That's a lot of wishes.......

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I too would love to see a DL solution with HDMI in AND out AND analog outs AND bass management AND PEQ, all in the right order AND one bit rate throughout AND all in one box. That's a lot of wishes.......

The NAD T758 V3 that Sonnie just got??

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
Subwoofers
The NAD T758 V3 - I have one in the middle of the review process right now - has many of the features I was thinking about, but not the extensive crossover / PEQ / BM / delay / level / mix matrix complement of fine-tuning tools that are in the miniDSP offerings.

dziemian

Registered
More  
minidsp nanoavr HDA
Main Amp
Cinepro 2k6
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
PS3
Front Speakers
Gedlee Abbey / CBT36K
Subwoofers
4 x DIY Aurasound 10"
Other Speakers or Equipment
Macmini
Video Display Device
eecolor LUT 3D box
Screen
Stewart 2.35
Any news? New Dirac was supposedly to be realeased in the first quater of 2018.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Any news? New Dirac was supposedly to be realeased in the first quater of 2018.
I've heard nothing. @Flak let me know previously that he would give us an update as soon as anything was known. I suspect they are just making sure the software is operating perfectly. Working all the bugs out.

Top Bottom