Digital signal noise from computer streaming devices?

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Class D Audio: SDS-470CS
Additional Amp
Shellbrook Audio Hybrid Head headphone amp
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Other Speakers or Equipment
Grado SR 325is headphones
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Origin Live Aurora MKIII turntable
Like some of us I've been thinking lately about how to improve the sound quality from my 2-channel digital streaming system. It sounds great already but I have a habit of trying out new things to squeeze out the last ounces of quality..if it exists : )

Does anyone have experience using external hardware devices that claim to get rid of digital jitter and other computer related noise? To tell you the truth I don't actually know what jitter or computer noise sounds like but when I put my ears an inch from the speaker drivers and have a music track on pause I don't hear anything but silence. Is jitter and digital noise something only audible during music playback? I'm curious.

I was checking out this product when I started questioning my system: https://ifi-audio.com/products/nano-igalvanic3-0/

Thanks for all your thoughts! : D

Kal Rubinson

It is a slippery slope down to a bottomless pit. Are you aware of any "buzz, hum and jitter?"

Over the years, I have sampled many such gadgets and discarded them because they make no audible difference.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
Thank you for your thoughts, Kal! You might have just saved me many dollars! : D

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
In the early days of personal computers we used to set an am/fm radio next to the computer and could play music via the RFI generated by various timing loops of code we wrote... There are also warnings about RFI interference and FCC rules of compliance hidden away in the fine print of many consumer electronics... My point being that many electric devices, including computers, disk drives and cell phones, produce Radio Frequency Interference... Given this knowledge and that of Maxwell, Tesla and Faraday, all things transmit and receive... Galvanic Isolation of USB devices are a pretty popular way of managing noise ingress... Many USB devices have Galvanic Isolation built into the design of the devices... Network Streamers and DACs come to mind... Where noise comes from and what is needed to clean it up are dependent on the environment and devices in that environment...

simplex

More  
Rotel RC-1570
Main Amp
Quad 303 mod.
Computer Audio
Daphile @x86-Mini-PC with BruteFIR filters applied
Yamaha BD-A1020 (mostly inactive, Daphile rules!)
Front Speakers
Tannoy D500 mod.
Streaming Equipment
audio cables custom made by myself
Other Equipment
Steinberg UR12, Behringer ECM8000
Like some of us I've been thinking lately about how to improve the sound quality from my 2-channel digital streaming system. It sounds great already but I have a habit of trying out new things to squeeze out the last ounces of quality..if it exists : )
I powered up my soldering station to assemble a HQ USB connection between Daphile server and preamp. Not only does the new solution look much better than those standard cables - now matching my speaker cables optically - also the sound appears to be more clear, soundstage a bit wider ... at least to my ears ...

Audible improvement of DIY gear like cables should always be taken with a grain of salt. At last you might want to justify the effort you invested in your project. The case was much simpler for my DIY speaker cables - I easily dumped my Kimber 8PR for them. In case of USB, the audible effect - if any - is very subtle. But satisfaction of having a good looking and matching solution of your own always adds to the overall performance. That's worth the effort!

Kal Rubinson

Given this knowledge and that of Maxwell, Tesla and Faraday, all things transmit and receive... Galvanic Isolation of USB devices are a pretty popular way of managing noise ingress... Many USB devices have Galvanic Isolation built into the design of the devices... Network Streamers and DACs come to mind... Where noise comes from and what is needed to clean it up are dependent on the environment and devices in that environment...
Sure but I don't hear any in my system. If you do, then.....and only then.......does it make any sense to pursue additional devices or, better yet, fix the source of the problem.

ddude003

AV Addict
Somewhere Northeast of Kansas City Missouri
More  
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium TubePre (2 channel+sub)
Main Amp
McIntosh MC152 SS Amp (2 channel)
Additional Amp
Yamaha RX-A850 Pro (the other 5 channels lol)
Computer Audio
MacBook Pro, Custom i7 7700k De-lid 2xAsus1080ti GFX Audirvana Studio, Hang Loose Convolver, Pulsar Massive & 8200, LiquidSonics, SoX
DAC
Chord Electronics Ltd. Qutest
Sony UBP-X700 /M Ultra HD 4K HDR & PS5
Front Speakers
Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL
Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Motion C2
Surround Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4
Surround Back Speakers
Martin Logan Motion 4 (yes, another set of these)
Subwoofers
Martin Logan Dynamo 700
Cifte 12AU7 NOS & Genalex Gold Lion Tubes in Pre
Video Display Device
Samsung The Premiere LSP7T UST Laser Projector
Screen
Elite Screens Aeon CLR3 0.8 Gain 103-inch
Remote Control
PrimaLuna, Lumin iApp, Samsung & Yamaha
Streaming Equipment
Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Streaming Switch, Lumin U1 Mini Streamer Transport
Streaming Subscriptions
QoBuz Studio Premier, Amazon Prime & Netflix
Other Equipment
ThrowRug, SaddleBlankets, WideBand & Bass Traps...
Sure but I don't hear any in my system. If you do, then.....and only then.......does it make any sense to pursue additional devices or, better yet, fix the source of the problem.
I agree Kal... If the source is a PC and/or Laptop is it better to replace the PC and/or Laptop or add a streamer/endopint? I know what my choice was... Different horses... I would also like to add that some ears/brains or systems/rooms my not have the resolution to notice some types of noise... And of course noise/distortion may sound pleasant to some and not so much to others...

I lived a block away from a trucker that had a home CB/Short Wave Radio with an giant beam antenna... Imagine my surprise when he keyed up his 1,000 watt linear to skip across the atmosphere... Thundergod blead across all my devices... Even my stereo speakers whether my stereo was powered on or not...

Later, I worked with a bench tech as I wrote software for his breadboard computing device... One day he left his Oscilloscope on with a probe laying next to the computer I was writing software on... The O-Scope probe was over a foot away and still picked up on what ever was being transmitted in the gap by the computer I was using... Later we used a static electricity generator to test some devices we were making at that company... Wow... What an eye opener... You could literally fry a computer or computer like device, think Streamer, Preamp, DAC and/or Amp with some static... My point being, there is EM/RFI/Noise everywhere... Its everywhere... It is even created by the various components of a stereo or HT system... Noise created in one part of a system ingresses to another another...

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

I agree Kal... If the source is a PC and/or Laptop is it better to replace the PC and/or Laptop or add a streamer/endopint?
The former. Why invest in an effort whose success cannot be guaranteed in favor of using a device that does not create the problem?

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
I powered up my soldering station to assemble a HQ USB connection between Daphile server and preamp. Not only does the new solution look much better than those standard cables - now matching my speaker cables optically - also the sound appears to be more clear, soundstage a bit wider ... at least to my ears ...

Audible improvement of DIY gear like cables should always be taken with a grain of salt. At last you might want to justify the effort you invested in your project. The case was much simpler for my DIY speaker cables - I easily dumped my Kimber 8PR for them. In case of USB, the audible effect - if any - is very subtle. But satisfaction of having a good looking and matching solution of your own always adds to the overall performance. That's worth the effort!

That's interesting, Simplex. Did you use a USB DIY kit? I haven't seen those before. Or did you reverse engineer a USB cord to create the DIY HQ USB connection? Thanks!

simplex

More  
Rotel RC-1570
Main Amp
Quad 303 mod.
Computer Audio
Front Speakers
Tannoy D500 mod.
Streaming Equipment
Other Equipment
Did you use a USB DIY kit?

I do not know about USB kits. So I just bought some USB Type A and B plugs from an ebay seller. I chose simple types from a German seller because I did not want to wait for gold plated types shipping from the US or China.

I had some PTFE-insulated copper wire left over from another project, added silver solder, shrink wrap and a cable sleeve matching my speaker cables, and I was done for almost no extra money spent. While in the process of assembling my 'kit' on a weekend, I noticed that I had forgotten to order some shielding sleeve, so I just disassembled an old TV antenna cable, extracted its sleeving, doubled it, attached it one-sided at the preamp side, and that's it.

Maybe I'll repeat the process one day in future when I come across some really HQ USB plugs, with better insulation and maybe gold plated contacts. Don't think this will make an audible difference, though. Similar thought for shielding: I'm not so sure whether it's really required.

One advice if you should go for it: order an extra pair of USB plugs, if you're not so experienced in fast soldering: those USB contacts are so so tiny, you can easily burn the insulation of the cheaper types.

sm_DSC06676.jpg

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
I placed my Roon ROCK Intel NUC in another room that is on a different circuit than my AV room. The signal is via Ethernet. This might be something to consider if you have that capability. This should eliminate any potential interference.

I am referring to streaming music of course. If you are referring to movies, I suppose you could still do the same, but for Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc... I stream those thru my Roku Ultra 2020, and it's just not that critical as music for me.

Grayson Dere

Staff member
More  
Integra DTR 7.8
Main Amp
Additional Amp
Sony UBP-X700
Front Speakers
Vandersteen Model 2
Subwoofers
SVS PB-2000
Video Display Device
JVC DLA-X75
Screen
Elite Screen 120"
Streaming Subscriptions
I do not know about USB kits. So I just bought some USB Type A and B plugs from an ebay seller. I chose simple types from a German seller because I did not want to wait for gold plated types shipping from the US or China.

I had some PTFE-insulated copper wire left over from another project, added silver solder, shrink wrap and a cable sleeve matching my speaker cables, and I was done for almost no extra money spent. While in the process of assembling my 'kit' on a weekend, I noticed that I had forgotten to order some shielding sleeve, so I just disassembled an old TV antenna cable, extracted its sleeving, doubled it, attached it one-sided at the preamp side, and that's it.

Maybe I'll repeat the process one day in future when I come across some really HQ USB plugs, with better insulation and maybe gold plated contacts. Don't think this will make an audible difference, though. Similar thought for shielding: I'm not so sure whether it's really required.

One advice if you should go for it: order an extra pair of USB plugs, if you're not so experienced in fast soldering: those USB contacts are so so tiny, you can easily burn the insulation of the cheaper types.

View attachment 37107

That's an awesome looking USB cable! I totally want to try a project like this in the future : )

simplex

More  
Rotel RC-1570
Main Amp
Quad 303 mod.
Computer Audio
Front Speakers
Tannoy D500 mod.
Streaming Equipment
Other Equipment
Top Bottom