Video Display Device
BenQ HT2050 projector
Screen
Elite 100” screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV4K
Other Equipment
MiniDSP 2x4HD, Crowson Motion Actuators, GIK room treatments
It’s a common belief that Class D amplifiers, while capable of being very efficient, powerful, compact and light, isn't in the same league at other amplifier typologies like A and A/B in musicality. Looking at the many Class D amps used in receivers and medium grade amplifiers with pre-fab modules and it's no wonder that many audiophiles look to the other classes as their preference for getting musical, pleasing sound reproduction. I’ve been using nothing but Class A/B amplifiers for the last 20 years under the assumption that no other typology could offer the same fidelity, warmth and musicality. The x-Cherry line of amplifiers however breaks the mold on what a Class D can deliver sonically. With his company garnering several awards based on the sound quality of their previous amplifiers Tommy O’Brien, owner of Digital Amplifier Company, was encouraged by his fans to make a five-channel version of his award winning Class D amps for use in home theaters. Tommy listened to his customers' suggestions, coming out with the x-CHerry in 2019.

2F09F294-C420-4C6A-9237-5160708A504A.jpeg

The x-CHerry's channels, from 2 to 5 depending on how many you want to drive, are fed by a 1kW 60V power supply. So a total max. power output of 1000 watts is provided regardless of the number of channels. Since that power supply is shared by all channels, when running 2 channel music for example the active channels will have more power reserves. The inactive channels in turn consume very little power while they “sleep.” For this feature unused channels turn off or on depending on whether a signal is sensed, so you can leave the Cherry on 24/7. Most Class D amplifiers use off-the-shelf, mass produced, pre-fab modules to save on costs, without necessarily putting priority on sound quality first. Each channel's module inside the 5-CHerry use patented and proprietary circuitry designed in-house. The 5-CHerry's channels are made up of individual Maraschino Cherry Monoblock boards. Digital Amplifier Company is one of the few amp makers that still designs circuits instead of simply putting a pre-fab module in a box. In designing the 5-Cherry amplifiers Tommy starts with amazing bench specs in SNR and THD+N measurements and then tweaks for sonics after that. Most companies will publish the specifications on these metrics before tweaking for sonics instead. The amplifier is DC coupled from end-to-end with zero bass shift. The amplifier uses true balanced XLR inputs but adapters are included if you prefer RCA connections. Each unit is hand built in Allentown, Pennsylvania plus all components within the chassis are sourced locally. Tommy's over 30 years of amp building experience shines through when listening to the sonic quality of the 5-CHerry.

6D13D221-AE1A-4449-894F-DA64FE8F4AFF.jpeg

My ordered 5-CHerry arrived a month ago well packed, along with some Neutrik RCA adapters, a black DAC T-shirt, and some other neat things along with the amplifier. The amplifier weighs 15 lb., being without a toroidal transformer. The amplifier isn’t large either measuring at 17.0" x 10.1" x 4.5". The KING version, reviewed here, of the 5-CHerry includes Gold WBT binding posts, a very nice looking 3/8" thick anodized brushed aluminum faceplate (available in red or black) with signature Cherry silkscreen, and double rail capacitance on all 5 channels. The amplifier has quite a solid feel to it, as you'd expect from an amplifier at this price point. Set up and connection is easy. The amplifier is turned on and off by flipping the switch on the rear of the box.

Having used Class A/B amps for several years I wasn’t sure what to expect with the 5-CHerry sonically. Nothing that I’d heard up to this point that was Class D was particular groundbreaking to my ears to switch over. So I let my ears decide if the Cherry amp lived up to its reputation for great sound. Upon trying the new amplifier for the first several days I was immediately struck by greatly improved dynamics, a much lower noise floor (118dB) and amazing realism of whatever content I ran through it. Throughout the course of the past month I’ve found myself running my speakers full range more often than ever before, to hear the way the amplifier takes complete control of my speakers’ drivers. The 5-CHerry when used in full range mode takes amazing control of the 10” woofers in my JTR Noesis 210RT tower speakers, resulting in stunning authority down to mid to low 20Hz frequencies in my room as measured in room equalization wizard, or REW as it’s commonly called. In listening through the Tidal app some of my favorite tracks such as from Post Malone, Phoebe Bridgers and the Tenet movie soundtrack, take on a new life and depth that’s superbly real. The Cherry amp makes me reconsider using my JTR subwoofers for music now! Bass is quick, seamless, powerful and punchy with excellent decay with the 5-Cherry now even without using any subwoofers. The end-to-end DC Coupling and power output of 400wpc into 4Ω and 800 wpc into 2Ω contribute to delivering the most realistic bass I’ve ever had the pleasure to experience from a full range speaker. No matter what kind of load my 4Ω speakers put on the amplifier, even to below 3Ω at certain bass frequencies, it remained only slightly warm. The 5-CHerry is able to drive below 2Ω too. Never has the amplifier felt hot to the touch. It's as if the amplifer is saying, "Come on, is that all you got?" I’m unable to bench test gear so my review is subjective to a degree FYI.

E26AF62B-29D2-4568-95B1-49F5FA3A86FC.jpeg

BDACBC56-2493-4B32-96C0-BEA29D022A2C.jpeg

Mid and high frequencies with the 5-CHerry is a revelation as well. Regardless of whether I’m running 2,3 or 5 channels of amplification the sound of the 5-Cherry is consistently non-harsh and smooth encouraging a greater turn of the volume knob without a hint of distortion. With a THD+N of .002%, listening to a movie at reference levels shows an amplifier with utterly breathtaking dynamics! Putting in a movie I’ve seen many times before, the racing scene from Ready Player One, the Cherry revealed sound that often made me gasp in amazement as I was transported from my seat and into the movie like never before. This is highly also owed to my main speakers which are JTR Noesis 210RT’s. They have incredibly low distortion (0.30% at 100db THD) and are 95dB efficient into 4Ω. The 5-CHerry amplifiers, including the flagship Cherrys the higher current Cherry Megaschino amplifiers, are often mated to JTR speakers in some high-end systems both for movies and strictly music. After a few weeks of listening to mine I can see why these amplifiers break new ground in not only the Class D typology but in how good any amplifier can sound for a very reasonable cost. In going back to playing songs I’ve heard many times before the Cherry amplifier also revealed details in music that simply sounded veiled when I had my 20 year old Rotel RB-985 mk2 amplifier hooked up to the JTR speakers. Granted the Rotel is much older and has several hundred watts per channel less. The 5-CHerry amplifier presents sound in a way that isn’t analytical at all but is sweet yet very detailed and listenable.

Regardless of the content being ran through the 5-CHerry the improvement in sound quality is not unlike wearing contacts with music, with everything coming into focus on sound, giving the listener a journey into the rhythm and emotion of the content being played. Comparing the 5-CHerry to my previous Anthem MCA325 and ATI AT4003 amplifiers the Cherry is the most natural sounding I’ve had the pleasure to run in my system. I found myself often listening for up to 4 hours at a time, just enjoying the lifelike quality the amplifier brings to movies and music alike. Eventually I’d like separate systems for 2-channel and for movies but currently am very pleased with the fidelity the Cherry amplifier brings to both. If you’re looking for an amplifier that’s equally at home in a high-end music setup as a home cinema the 5-CHerry is for you. It offers a level of no holds barred sonic performance that can easily make it an “end game” amplifier for any serious enthusiast.

15BD4EF8-22BE-4DE0-AE54-E81EA1540277.jpeg

Pros:
Impressive quiet background, powerful dynamics, micro-dynamics, power output and non-colored sound

Cons:
Not the cheapest, amplifier’s aesthetics is a hit or miss to some

Reference System:
Speakers: JTR Noesis 210RT and 210RM, JBL 306p mk2, KEF Ci160QR
Amplification: 5-CHerry by Digital Amplifier Company, Rotel RB985 mk2
Source: Anthem DTS Play-Fi, Samsung UDB K-8500, Apple TV 4K
Cables: Blue Jeans Cable and DH Labs interconnects and speaker cable
Surround Processor: Anthem AVM60
Subs: JTR Captivator S1 (x2), RS1 (x1)
Room: 17' 4" x 15' 8" x 9' 0" (WxDxH)

Specifications:
* Power Output: 200Wpc into 8Ω, 400Wpc into 4Ω, 800wpc into 2Ω, 1000W max. total
* SNR: 118dB, A-weighted
* Gain: 22dB
* THD+N: 0.002%
* Bandwidth: 0 Hz - 100 kHz
* Input impedance: 20kΩ, true balanced
* DC Coupled end-to-end (no bass phase shift)
* Output Impedance: < 0.02Ω
* Channel separation: >100dB
* High wideband damping factor: >500 at 1kHz
* Channel independent auto sleep
* Power efficiency: 96%
* Weight 12 lbs standard, 15 lbs KING version.
* Size: 14.2" x 10.3" x 4.6" standard
17.0" x 10.1" x 4.5" KING version
* Sensitivity: 3.1V in for 400 Watts into 4 Ohm
* Protection: Thermal, current, voltage, and features Auto-Recovery.

For more information about the Cherry amps reach out to Tommy O’Brien of Digital Amplifier Company.

tesseract

Senior Admin
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Emotiva XMC-1
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 2
Other Amp
Dayton SA1000
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Sony BDP S590 & Pioneer DV-610AV
Front Speakers
JTR NOESIS 210 RT - L/R mains
Center Channel Speaker
Chase SHO-10 - Center
Surround Speakers
Chase PRO-10 - Surrounds
Subwoofers
Chase VS-18.1 x 2 - Subwoofers
Video Display Device
Vizio E550VL
Streaming Subscriptions
h/k TC35C/Ortofon Super OM10/Pro-Ject Phono Box S
I am a fan and am saving my pennies. Got my eye on the King 5CHERRY, too.

:nerd:

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
KING 5-CHerry Amp - Digital Amplifier Co.
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
Other Speakers or Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
@John Lee,
Great write-up and I agree with you 100%. I also purchased a King 5-CHerry amp in August 2020 and received it in September. After running Yamaha YPAO and tweaking it to my preferences, I’ve been extremely happy with the purchase, it gave me everything I was hoping for. Unlike you, I don’t have any previous experience with separate power amps, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I must say this amp brings out details I never heard in music I’ve listened to many times before. I can’t add to anything you’ve stated, but one thing you didn’t mention that I’d like to touch on is Digital Amplifier Company’s customer service.

Before I decided to add an amp I was very happy with my system, but I wanted better definition of instruments (especially in the mid bass) and vocals. So I was considering replacing my Ascend Sierra tower speakers with JTR 210RTs and I wasn’t sure how the RTs would blend with my Ascend Horizon center. Knowing me, if I changed to the 210RTs I’d also want to change the center to a 210RM. In 2019 I built a center console to house the Horizon and my front JTR 118HT sub, so replacing the center speaker would also mean building another console to fit the 210RM with the sub. This “better definition” desire was becoming more expensive than I wanted (I’m retired and have plenty of other upgrades that I need to address first).

So looking for other options, I wondered if a power amp might give me what I’m looking for. I never had a separate amp and didn't know what improvements it might make. After much research, I decided a Cherry amp may just be the thing I'm looking for.

I emailed DAC support stating that I was interested in purchasing a power amp and that I am a neophyte when it comes to audio equipment and jargon, and that I needed some help deciding if my AVR and speakers were compatible with the 5-CHerry amp that I was interested in. Tommy O’Brien replied giving me his personal number, asked me to text him so we could setup a time to talk. At first I was a little intimidated talking to the amp designer with my limited knowledge of such things, but Tommy brought things down to my level, which made me very comfortable. He looked up the specs for my AVR (Yamaha RX-A3040) was a little concerned about the preout voltage, so he wrote to Yamaha to get more details. The next day while we were waiting for a reply from Yamaha, I found an Audioholics article that tested an earlier version of my AVR, which eased Tommy’s concerns. Then he made me an offer that I couldn’t refuse on the King 5-CHerry amp that he had set aside for the 2020 AXPONA show (driving JTR speakers) that was cancelled due to COVID.

In other words, Tommy went beyond what I would have expected from our phone call to be sure that I would be satisfied with my purchase...who does that?

PXL_20210206_190219215.MP.jpg

John Lee

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
5-CHerry
Additional Amp
Rotel RB985 mk2
Samsung UDB K8500
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Surround Back Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Front Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Rear Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator RS1 (x1), S1 (x2)
Video Display Device
BenQ HT2050 projector
Screen
Elite 100” screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV4K
Other Equipment
@Jack1949
Thanks! The 5-CHerry has this natural ability to make instruments sound like actual instruments. I can easily listen to movies or music for hours on end with my 5-CHerry at high volumes and not have any listener fatigue. I agree totally about the “better definition” as one key sonic quality that makes the amplifier a joy to listen to. No doubt it’s a product meticulously crafted for folks who care about sonics above all else.

That’s great to hear about your customer service experience with Tommy. I bought my 5-CHerry from a seller off of AVSforum so I didn’t have quite the same experience as you in buying mine. I’d asked Tommy about his amps a year ago, out of curiosity, and he‘s great in that he doesn’t put any kind of pressure on to force a sale. Having the transferable warranty was a great thing too with my buying a used amplifier as I’ve had experiences in the past with components breaking on me without any kind of return policy. I’ve no doubt that Tommy takes excellent care both before and after a purchase. That kind of service makes me more than happy to give the company my business.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
The only problem I have with your review is you're tempting me with the 210RTs. :nono: Every time I think I've settled on what I have (or possibly replacing my surrounds with another pair of Ascend towers), I read a review about the 210RTs (or 212RTs) that gets me drooling again. When I thought I might upgrade to the 21*RT, I built a 210 frame and a 212 frame to see if either would fit in my room. After I decided to buy an amp instead, I mentioned to Tommy that I had built the frames and he told me has the 210RT (among several other speakers) and he went on about what great speakers they are. :explode:Must resist!

John Lee

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
5-CHerry
Additional Amp
Rotel RB985 mk2
Samsung UDB K8500
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Surround Back Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Front Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Rear Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
BenQ HT2050 projector
Screen
Elite 100” screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV4K
Other Equipment
@Jack1949
Lol... I know all too well that upgrade bug that strikes us all. Being part of forums like this where you see amazing gear doesn’t usually help matters any either. That’s so cool that you built frames for the speakers. When I owned KEF speakers I thought those were my end game. The longer I listened to them the more I heard shortcomings that made me want to upgrade. Reading the review that @tesseract wrote about the 210RTs stoked the fire of interest initially for me. Then reading more and more owner reviews of the 210RTs and 212RTs sealed the deal for me. The 210RTs just fit better in my room, but I would've loved the 212RTs just as much. The 215RTs would’ve caused a divorce... :paddle: The general consensus seems to be that JTR speakers are as good if not better than JTR’s subwoofers. I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. There‘s the 30 day trial period too from JTR for your consideration...

John Lee

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
5-CHerry
Additional Amp
Rotel RB985 mk2
Samsung UDB K8500
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Surround Back Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Front Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Rear Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
BenQ HT2050 projector
Screen
Elite 100” screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV4K
Other Equipment
@Jack1949
I should add that while JTR speakers are considered end game for many it can come down to what your preferences are. I haven’t heard Ascend towers in person but I’ve heard many prefer them over KEF R series speakers for example. So it’s hard to say if the JTRs would be an actual upgrade for your situation imho. A friend who listens to a lot of music bought a trio of JTR 210RMs right before the prices went up on 1/1/21. He even had them paid off in full. Then he listened to some Martin Logan ESL speakers and realized he was more into music than anything else. So he got his refund on the JTRs before they shipped and is going to get some Martin Logans instead. I think he should’ve waited to hear the speakers before asking for the refund but it may have been his budget that forced him to return the JTRs. Plus he could just prefer the sound of Martin Logans‘ electrostats over the the JTR horns. My $.02

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
Kaleidescape | FireCube | Lenova X1 - Intel NUC for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Excellent review John... thank you!

That's also a nice system you have there, I bet it sounds great.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350
@Jack1949
Lol... I know all too well that upgrade bug that strikes us all. Being part of forums like this where you see amazing gear doesn’t usually help matters any either. That’s so cool that you built frames for the speakers. When I owned KEF speakers I thought those were my end game. The longer I listened to them the more I heard shortcomings that made me want to upgrade. Reading the review that @tesseract wrote about the 210RTs stoked the fire of interest initially for me. Then reading more and more owner reviews of the 210RTs and 212RTs sealed the deal for me. The 210RTs just fit better in my room, but I would've loved the 212RTs just as much. The 215RTs would’ve caused a divorce... :paddle: The general consensus seems to be that JTR speakers are as good if not better than JTR’s subwoofers. I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly. There‘s the 30 day trial period too from JTR for your consideration...

@Jack1949
I should add that while JTR speakers are considered end game for many it can come down to what your preferences are. I haven’t heard Ascend towers in person but I’ve heard many prefer them over KEF R series speakers for example. So it’s hard to say if the JTRs would be an actual upgrade for your situation imho. A friend who listens to a lot of music bought a trio of JTR 210RMs right before the prices went up on 1/1/21. He even had them paid off in full. Then he listened to some Martin Logan ESL speakers and realized he was more into music than anything else. So he got his refund on the JTRs before they shipped and is going to get some Martin Logans instead. I think he should’ve waited to hear the speakers before asking for the refund but it may have been his budget that forced him to return the JTRs. Plus he could just prefer the sound of Martin Logans‘ electrostats over the the JTR horns. My $.02

I had my eye on the 210RT before Dennis' review, but his review also stoked my fire and got me daydreaming and hence sometime later I built the frames. I found that I could barely fit the 212RT and that just added to my obsession. My wife said she preferred the 210RT size but she'd agree to whatever I wanted. That was about this time last year. I knew we had other plans for the money in the upcoming summer months, so I decided to put off the purchase. Later I started questioning myself about the cost of an upgrade, being that I already have what I think is a great system. That led me to wondering about the amp and now after adding the amp I'm in heaven. I have the Sierra towers and Horizon all with RAAL ribbon tweeters and I mostly listen to music, and the Cherry amp filled in what I thought were their shortcomings, so I happy. But who knows what the future will bring.

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i
Subwoofers
Dual JTR 118HT
miniDSP 2x4 HD
Video Display Device
Samsung UN60H6350

John Lee

More  
Anthem AVM60
Main Amp
5-CHerry
Additional Amp
Rotel RB985 mk2
Samsung UDB K8500
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Surround Back Speakers
JBL 306P mk2
Front Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Rear Height Speakers
KEF Ci160QR
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
BenQ HT2050 projector
Screen
Elite 100” screen
Streaming Equipment
Apple TV4K
Other Equipment
@Sonnie
You’re welcome! I’m happy to be a part of the excellent community here. :)

Jack1949

VIP Supporter
More  
Yamaha RX-A3040
Additional Amp
Oppo BDP-103D
Front Speakers
JTR 210RT
Center Channel Speaker
JTR 210RM
Surround Speakers
Front Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT55i
Rear Height Speakers
Polk Audio RT35i