Did I do something wrong when calibrating?

Tatts4Life

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon avr-X6300H
Subwoofers
JBL-PSW1000, Onkyo SKW-540
I watched YouTube videos on how to use REW and a miniDSP 2x4HD to calibrate my two subs. I first tried gain matching my two subs. First I raised my crossovers to 250Hz then set my volume to 42, or -38 for people that use 0 as reference. I moved the first sub to a spot in my room and placed my umik-1 in the main listening position. The first time I did this I was using the Java setting in REW and I just happened to read 75db when I played a tone. My second sub needed to be raised in the miniDSP plug in to 6.5 to get the same level.

I then placed both subs in their final position and measured them separate and then combined. Things looked good.

The next day I saw a video that talks about first using a main speaker to set my speakers to 75db and then using ASIO4ALL since that isolates the subwoofer channel. So I try that and now my volume doesn't need to be as loud and the sub that I raised in miniDSP needs to be raised to I believe 8. I now do my measurements in REW and things looks pretty good in my opinion. I set a delay for one of the subs and create a very smooth house curve. After that I use my Audyssey app and tell the app I now only have 1 sub and import the final results to my receiver. When done I raise the input of the miniDSP plug in back to 0 because as usual Audyssey tells you the subs are too loud. I then also raise the levels for the sub in my receiver from I believe -6db to 0. Give me all my bass fiddles. I play a scene from a show that I know has some really nice DEEP bass. First I notice that the dialog seems quieter than before and I have to raise the over all volume from 42 to something like 56. THEN when the really deep bass starts my receiver shuts off and I see a red blinking light. I know I messed up somewhere.

I then saw That raising the volume of my subs in the receiver and the miniDSP can cause an issue so maybe that's what happened with me. I saw in another video where someone mentions doing everything I did before but before importing the results from Audyssey I should cut the subwoofer correction out completely by moving the slider all the way to the left. I do this and now that scene plays nice but still the overall volume seems way lower than before, I'm having to turn the volume up to 52 or 56, I forget what the relative scale number is. So I load up an old Audyssey measurement from before the miniDSP where it says I have 2 subs instead of 1 and now the over all volume is back to normal and my subs have that nice DEEP bass.

What I want to know is, Did I do something wrong? If I did what was it? Should something have been done in a different order?

The_Nephilim

When you first did it you said you played a tone, now did you play the Pink Noise or play a tone as there might be a difference?? you should set both subs at say 75db with the pink noise one sub at a time. if you have the mini dsp you just mute one sub and set the db level w/pink noise. then you need to align them which I think is different then setting the db..

not sure but maybe that is your issue.

Tatts4Life

Registered
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Denon avr-X6300H
Subwoofers
JBL-PSW1000, Onkyo SKW-540
The first time I played a tone. The second time I used pink noise with the subs measuring 75db each one at a time. But like I said earlier Java and ASIO4ALL are different by almost 10-20db. I'm just curious which of those I should be using.

Top Bottom