DDRC-24 W/ DIRAC LIVE

Grierts

I am a complete newb to all of this home theatre setup.

I have 2x SVS PB-1000 Pros.

Along with the MINI DDRC-24 and Dirac Live.

I ran the 17 point auto cal with Dirac.

Can someone talk to me about my measurements. Help further explain what I am seeing.

My room is irregular (Living room bleeds into dining room and kitchen and main hallway)

Do/Should I change anything ??

Subs are located in L/R corners (Both sides of my TV)
View attachment 3152651

View attachment 3152652

View attachment 3152653

FargateOne

More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Rotel RSX-1562
Additional Amp
Bryston 3B3 for fronts mains
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Cambridge CXU
Front Speakers
B&W 804 D2
Center Channel Speaker
B&W HTM4D2
Surround Speakers
B&W 705
Subwoofers
SVS PC-2000 and SVS PC-2000 Pro
Other Speakers or Equipment
10 PEQ filters/channel in receiver with REW
Video Display Device
Samsung UN55ES8000
Other Equipment
miniDSP 2x4 HD
impossible to open your files

Grierts

impossible to open your files

Sorry about that.

Try these.

Randy L

I think you are only showing what Dirac heard and not showing Dirac's resulting corrections... Please click on 'Group 1" to show both subs, then click "Corrected Spectrum" to show Dirac's results. Also click off "Spread" so that only the average result is shown... Then re-post new images. :)

Grierts

I think you are only showing what Dirac heard and not showing Dirac's resulting corrections... Please click on 'Group 1" to show both subs, then click "Corrected Spectrum" to show Dirac's results. Also click off "Spread" so that only the average result is shown... Then re-post new images. :)

Please see attached. As a note, I did the Auto Eq with both subs active. Should I have done them seperately ?? (Left sub auto EQ, and the Right sub auto EQ. )

Measured on TOP

Corrected on the bottom.

Attachments

• 1625960555209.png
    1625960555209.png
    50 KB · Views: 26

Randy L

Yes, both subs should be active... So as we can see Dirac corrected the bass response up to 262Hz to more closely follow the target curve (line) compared to your last photo. And the impulse response looks better too... Basically you should be able to create a filter now that will make your bass sound so much better.... Did you do all the measurements? Because my "corrected" line usually follows closer to the target curve (line). But you'll probably not hear any difference as it is likely close enough for great results.

Grierts

Yes, both subs should be active... So as we can see Dirac corrected the bass response up to 262Hz to more closely follow the target curve (line) compared to your last photo. And the impulse response looks better too... Basically you should be able to create a filter now that will make your bass sound so much better.... Did you do all the measurements? Because my "corrected" line usually follows closer to the target curve (line). But you'll probably not hear any difference as it is likely close enough for great results.

I definitely did all 17 measurements.

The bass is not as boomy, as before. Almost more light. I mean I guess it sounds better.

I could look it up, but could you explain what the impulse response is ?
Also, Do I need to change anything, or just leave it as is ?

Ive already imported the filter into my DDRC-24. Like I said the bass response sounds lighter.

Randy L

Impulse response has to do with focusing sound. Smearing is in issue which blurs the image of the music. Fixing the impulse response is similar to focusing a camera lens. Sharper edges around sounds, focused singers and instruments in space... Looks like you did everything right and you don't need to make any changes... However, you can now reload this project and move the curve to recalculate the calibration for more bass. It's up to you to determine your own preference in your room. No right or wrong.

About your bass just sounding 'ok': Quite often we get used to bad bass and develop habit of accepting peaks and valleys as good bass. Dirac has now removed your peaks which now allows you to hear all bass frequencies at the same sound level (flat). It's actually much better. You just need to listen to many different songs over a period of time and you will suddenly realize how much more balanced it is. And as I said, you can still move the curve to give you more of this balanced bass. You don't loose the calibration when you move the curve, you're just making that calibration louder or softer at different frequencies.

If you are missing your bass just grab those little balls on the curve and drag them upward. Create a slope gradually increasing from 200Hz until you get to your limit of 16Hz With 16Hz having a 4 to 6 db increase. The program will recalculate a new calibration on the fly once you let go of the ball. You can then export the new resulting calibration and listen to it. See my image of what's called the Harmon Curve. It represents a +4 db sloped increase. Right click anywhere on the curve to create new points. You can add as many as you like, or just download pre-made curves from the internet like I did. Then you can store them in Dirac and pull them up as needed... Btw the way, the db level will show when your mouse is hoovering over the yellow balls (points). Good luck and happy tweaking! :)
Harmon +4.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom