Crash with Mbox ASIO

J99

Registered
Hello,

I got a cheap old Mbox 1 original (the vertical one) and found the drivers:
http://secure.digidesign.com/services/avid/kb/downloads.cfm?digiArticleId=23087&localeCode=en
V7.4 still has Mbox 1 support
"Digidesign MBox" shows up in the Windows Device Manager (Win 7 64 bit) under "sound, video and game controllers"
It does not show up for playback or recording under Hardware and Sound> Sound> Manage Audio Devices... not sure if it should.

I tried to set this device in REW 5.18 (non beta). Under soundcard>ASIO device, it shows "ASIO Digidesign Driver"
Clicking that crashes REW. Standard windows message: REW has stopped working, check online or close program

REW 5.18 ASIO digidesign driver crash.JPG
:dontknow:

John Mulcahy

REW Author
There might be some info in the REW log files, their location is shown in the About REW box. Could be an issue between the ASIO driver and the dll that makes ASIO available to REW though.

J99

Registered
This is all in the log:
Jul 21, 2018 11:04:21 AM roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard main
INFO: REW V5.18 running JRE 1.8.0_102 32-bit on Windows 7
Jul 21, 2018 11:04:25 AM com.synthbot.jasiohost.AsioDriver <clinit>
INFO: Loaded jasiohost.dll

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Seems like the crash happens as soon as the dll tries to load the driver, so REW doesn't get a chance to capture anything. Could try the latest beta versions to see if the behaviour is any different, but I'm not optimistic.

radialcuts

Registered
I'm having a similar issue in v5.19. Was this issue solved?

I'm using a Yamaha Dante sound card (AIC128-D) and REW freezes when making a measurement. I guess it's something to do with the ASIO driver..?

Jan 19, 2022 3:37:53 PM roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard main
INFO: REW V5.19 running JRE 1.8.0_231 32-bit on Windows 10
Jan 19, 2022 3:37:56 PM com.synthbot.jasiohost.AsioDriver <clinit>
INFO: Loaded jasiohost.dll

John Mulcahy

REW Author
That doesn't sound like a similar issue - you're not running Win 7, you're not trying to run obsolete hardware and you're not seeing a crash when selecting the driver. The current build is V5.20.4, probably worth trying that.

radialcuts

Registered
Thought it could be similar if it was also an ASIO driver issue... anyway 5.20.4 didn't solve the problem.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Can you post a screenshot of the Measure dialog when measuring? Please also zip and attach the contents of the REW log files folder.

radialcuts

Registered
It just freezes at the start of the measurement. I can cancel the measurement but then REW stops responding.

Attachments

• 1642779758925.png
    1642779758925.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 11
  • roomeq_wizard0.log.txt
    401 bytes · Views: 5

John Mulcahy

REW Author
I'd like all the contents of the REW folder, please, there may be something in the output file. There is a chance it is a Java/AMD Ryzen issue, there are some reports of Java problems on Ryzen. Another Ryzen user had an issue but that turned out to be related to a game controller. Could try the 32-bit build of REW to see if that behaves differently.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Nothing helpful there, unfortunately. In the absence of any error messages from REW the problem may be between the ASIO driver and JAsioHost, the Java interface to ASIO. There have been occasions where running the signal generator before trying to measure has helped coax a reluctant interface to life. An alternative could be to try the FlexASIO wrapper around the WDM drivers, configuring it via the ASIO control panel button on the REW soundcard preferences, and see if that behaves.

Top Bottom