Correct settings for Non-Asio software -> jriver -> Audiolense Convolver

Medister

I have RME UFXII, Audiolense XO, 6channel filter.

I have used the following setttings (I have a well specd stationary PC) :

Jriver: Options>General>check the WDM Driver option, Option>Audio>Audio Device> choose Audiolense and choose 100milliseconds buffering.
Audiolense Convolver> Force Soundcard and convolver buffersize to 512

It kind of works, but everytime I put on an new song in Tidal it stutters and I loose the first seconds of the song.
Does my settings look ok, have I missed something?

And for all non ASIO software I dont see the benefit of using the Audiolense Convolver, isnt it better to just load the filter straight into jrivers convolver? now I need to run even one more app.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 190604.png
Screenshot 2024-04-26 190700.png

juicehifi

Audiolense
Staff member
Hi Medister,

I don’t have Tidal, so I have no experience with this interface. But doesn’t Tidal support Asio streaming? If so, perhaps you should try to connect it directly with Audiolense Convolver and see if that makes a change.

Apart from that: Jriver has the best and most sturdy and stable Asio streaming capabilities I’ve ever seen. And it has by far the best Asio interface that Audiolense Convolver has seen too. Matt Ashland who is responsible for this part of JRiver is a genius as far as I’m concerned. He does things fast and exceptionally well.

I used JRiver extensively when I made the convolver. The Asio implementation in JRiver is textbook. So I got spoiled. A lot of the enthusiast players have serious issues. And that’s when workarounds are needed.

Having said that … maybe a change of
buffer settings or how songs are phased in and out in Jriver could make a difference here.

Potential advantages with Al Convolver: On the technical side it is more CPU efficient, faster and less tasking, and it supports any processing latency from zero and up, so lip sync can be dialled in with the mouse where on the fly.

For my own use it’s mostly about convenience. I like to have a volume control that works in the tray area. That’s the most important part.

And then I have a couple of setups that has insufficient gain because I have been
lazy with maintaining my da converters. With the convolver I can add gain. There’s a risk of digital clipping, but the convolver can monitor digital clipping. On
my preferred music … and on my systems I can regularly allow for +3-4 dB on somewhat Compressor pop music without any digital clipping. And I can add some more without hearing any.

But fundamentally, the output from JRivers convolver should be exactly the same as the output from Audiolense Convolver. Sound should be 100% the same.

Medister

Thx for answer. No TIDAL doesn’t supports ASIO :(

There is a workaround, if I open Spotify, start and pause a song, go back and play from Tidal then Audiolens convolver won’t stop and start streaming for every new song. But number of apps needed for playback is adding up.. This problem is btw the same if I use the jriver convolver.

So it seems if you want an efficient and easy playback setup for streaming you have to buy roon.. For streaming I generally don’t like 3party apps, maybe roon isn’t that bad, but ex Sonos-“Spotify” app is no good, the search engine is different, so if you don’t spell everything perfect you will not find anything, stuff like that is annoying..

Medister

Off topic, but I guess I should share it, I have had trouble with making consistent filters for a long time, but now, when making measurments from another PC it suddenly works everytime. Stereocenter have been of on most measurments earlier, been sounding ok but not perfect. Ive got no indication otherwise that the measurments have been failing. PC Ive been using is an ASUS Swift, intel i5, not terrible slow.

Top Bottom