Clarity C50 and C80 targets?

thothsong

Are there recommended targets for Clarity C50 and C80 in a home listening room?

AudiocRaver

Senior Reviewer
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
Onkyo TX-SR705 Receiver
Main Amp
Crown XLS 1502 DriveCore-2 (x2 as monoblock)
Additional Amp
Behringer A500 Reference Power Amplifier
Front Speakers
MartinLogan Electromotion ESL Electrostatic (x2)
Center Channel Speaker
Phantom Center
Surround Speakers
NSM Audio Model 5 2-Way (x2)
Subwoofers
JBL ES150P Powered Subwoofer (x2)
I have not seen any published recommended targets for a home theater or 2 channel listening room. Using recent measurements taken in Sonnie's Cedar Creek Cinema, which is excellent for movies and for music, a good mid-band (1 kHz) target range would be is follows:

Clarity (C50, C80) Target Range for High Controlled Directivity Speakers (Panel, Horn, Open Baffle) in a well-treated domestic home theater or listening room:
  • Target C50 @ 1 kHz: 16 to 20 dB
  • Target C80 @ 1 kHz: 24 to 27 dB
Clarity (C50, C80) Target Range for Medium Controlled Directivity Speakers (well-designed Cone/Dome Monopole) in a well-treated domestic home theater or listening room:
  • Target C50 @ 1 kHz: 14 to 16 dB
  • Target C80 @ 1 kHz: 20 to 24 dB
The C50 and C80 numbers are hard to design to, i.e. not very intuitive, you have to go down the rabbit hole a ways into the derivation methods to get a feel for what they mean, unless you are an acoustician who deals with this stuff all the time. Reverb Time - RT60 - is a bit easier to get one's head around, easier to grasp for most of us, and is closely related,

I will add that these numbers reflect somewhat my own preferences, which lean toward heavy treatment, lots of absorption, and elimination of early reflections. Also, I would lean toward the C50 number as being more meaningful for a home theater with good speech intelligibility.

Top Bottom