CES 2019: VIZIO Expands Quantum Dot Technology, Boosting Its 2019 4K TV Lineup

CES 2019: VIZIO Expands Quantum Dot Technology, Boosting Its 2019 4K TV Lineup

full?d=1546886079.png
(January 7, 2019) VIZIO has arrived at CES 2019 touting its next-gen Quantum Color performance, which amounts to the company’s proprietary spin on color enhancing quantum dot technology. The company says Quantum Color can be found on all new P-Series and M-Series TVs, which are also equipped with VIZIO’s SmartCast 3.0 smart TV experience and support for Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit.

Last year’s smash-hit flagship P-Series Quantum is making another appearance, revamped and shipping as the P-Series Quantum X. Unlike 2018, this year’s Quantum X TVs will be available in two sizes: 65- and 75-inches. VIZIO says the 75-inch version features 480 local dimming zones with dynamically adjusted backlighting for improved black levels. And peak brightness can hit an eye-scorching 2,900 nits for improved HDR performance.

The stepdown, but equally popular, standard P-Series now takes on the P-Series Quantum moniker, and will also be sold in 65- and 75-inch models. VIZIO says these models will feature up to 240 local dimming zones and up to 1,000 nits of peak brightness.

"VIZIO has always been synonymous with value and our 2019 smart TV collection is no exception," explained Bill Baxter, Chief Technology Officer, VIZIO. "We've combined an ideal blend of brightness, contrast and color to create a best-in-class picture across all price points. Layer on our intuitive, feature-rich smart TV platform, VIZIO SmartCast 3.0, and customers receive an entertainment experience that is unmatched in the marketplace."

Moving onto value-oriented models, the M-Series is getting a healthy boost, adding Quantum Color performance to TVs ranging from 43- to 65-inches in size. Not surprisingly, the number of active backlighting zones drops down to 90 (which nearly doubles the number of zones on 2018 M-Series models) and peak brightness can reach 600 nits. And, finally, there’s the entry level V-Series, which replaces last year’s E-Series. These TVs (sized from 40- to 75-inches) carry 16 active zones of Full Array backlighting and can produce up to 400 nits of peak brightness.

On the smart TV front, VIZIO says its entire flock of 2019 TVs ship with SmartCast 3.0 onboard, bringing access to services such as Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, iHeartRadio, and more. They also carry Apple AirPlay 2 and Chromecast built-in.

We’ll learn more about pricing and shipping timeframes this coming spring.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
2900 nits! Holy cow! That is some serious peak brightness.

Last years Quantum X was pretty special. It’s biggest negative was it’s priced edged too close to other better TVs. It’s excitint to see the quantum dot technology trickle down. If i recall, it was the cheapest tv last year that offered a true HDR experience with sufficient brightness, adequate black levels, near full coverage of P3 color, etc. it was on my short list but I kept going back to a particular Sony model and discounted OLED sets for similar money that I thought were better.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Other Speakers or Equipment
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
It was special - it was a best buy by a long shot. Its price was certainly competitive during sales times...beating out models from Sony and Samsung when tested by respected reviews outlets.

Quantum should certainly be included in TV Shootouts... its performance is impossible to ignore, especially given price. I'd hazard to guess that most users would need nothing more and would be completely happy.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
It was special - it was a best buy by a long shot. Its price was certainly competitive during sales times...beating out models from Sony and Samsung when tested by respected reviews outlets.

Quantum should certainly be included in TV Shootouts... its performance is impossible to ignore, especially given price. I'd hazard to guess that most users would need nothing more and would be completely happy.

How cheap did it go on sale for? Maybe I missed that. It’s normal price was $2099 for the 65 inch quantum model. I could get a 65” OLED for close to that price. Massdrop even had one for less. It wasn’t as bright but it did everything else better. Build quality was better too.

The Sony I liked was the 900F series which was cheaper, but offered similar brightness, similar color, and similar contrast.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
I actually bought the 900F for the new media room we're building in our basement. The X900F was $1599... Quantum was $1499. RTINGs.com had the two TVs basically neck and neck for best mid-range buy, with the nod to the Quantum for better viewing angles.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/vizio-announces-first-wave-of-black-friday-deals.3667/

I would have bought the Quantum, but couldn't find it in stock. It sold out basically right away. So, went with the Sony, which is sitting in a box waiting for our renovation to get done.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
To note, it appears that AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support will apply to 2016 and newer TVs with SmartCast, not just 2019 models.

Top Bottom