Capital Audiofest 2017 Show Report

full?d=1510244732.png
(November 6, 2017) I’ve often thought of Capital Audiofest (CAF) as a snowball barreling down a steep hill – each year, getting slightly larger and rolling with more authority. And because the high-end expo is held in the greater Baltimore-Washington metro area (my stomping grounds), I was thrilled to find this year’s iteration had moved beyond snowball status, officially approaching full-on avalanche mode; there’s little doubt it’s in position to become the East Coast’s best audio show.

The event has traditionally offered a smaller (more intimate) feel as compared to some of the larger more well-known expos that take place in the U.S. And that’s not necessarily a negative. Manageable crowds and interesting lesser known speaker brands have always been a guarantee, making for easy access to and exploration of gear that you’re unlikely to hear elsewhere. Of course, none of this is surprising – it’s part of establishing and growing a movement. Let’s not forget, CAF was founded a mere seven years ago, kicking-off its existence at a historic home called the Rockville Mansion. It has since continued to grow, now inhabiting the beautifully renovated halls of the Hilton Hotel in Rockville, Maryland.

Last month, CAF announced it was officially sold-out, boasting a record 60 audio rooms occupying three levels of its Hilton venue. Add to that a host of seminars, a new marketplace in the hotel’s spacious atrium, CanMania! (the headphone portion of CAF), food, whisky tastings, and live music, and CAF appeared to be ready to take a giant leap forward. But it wasn’t until I arrived on Friday (November 2) for the first of two days of coverage, that I truly felt the change. Its small roots were no longer so small.

First and foremost, CAF has massively upgraded its exhibitor status, with quite a few big-name high-dollar systems anchoring a huge allotment of audio gear to demo. But, the show has also retained quite a few lesser known favorites, and I hope that continues to be the case going forward (it’s great to see smaller-scale makes given an opportunity to shine). Much like years past, Friday was sparsely attended, making for lots of elbow room and quite a few private demo sessions. Saturday, however, was more crowded, and I was happy to find that I equally enjoyed some of the excitement and interaction more bodies brought to the equation.

Overall, the event’s environment was – once again – polished and inviting. It was friendly. It wasn’t overwhelming. Demo rooms were easy to find. And the hotel’s Atrium and entryway areas provided welcoming havens of escape in the form of cushy couches and relatively private resting areas. Of course, this all goes without mentioning the show’s impressive number of large listening rooms that truly allowed featured systems to open-up and sound great.

For those of you that have read my articles over the years, you’ve probably recognized that I’m much more of a multi-channel home theater enthusiast than a two-channel aficionado. That isn’t to say I underappreciate amazing high-end two-channel sound, but there are times that garden hose sized speaker cables, $40,000 turntables, and a general dislike of the digital world are lost on me. Add to that a bit of gear unfamiliarity, and true high-end audio can be somewhat intimidating. Oddly, I find those same factors to be wickedly magnetic, and once I start experiencing massively expensive stereo systems, my mind quickly falls into to total AV NIRVANA (see what I did there?). We’re talking full-on mesmerizing nirvana, the kind that makes you shake your head in disbelief and daydream about dropping 50-large on an unnecessary (yet very necessary) two-channel system. And that’s exactly where I found myself as I wandered the halls of Capital Audiofest 2017. Blissful audio heaven.

Rather than running through a room-by-room report, I offer you a few highlights that my eyes and ears enjoyed experiencing. And, for the record, if you live in the larger Mid-Atlantic region, mark your calendars now and hit CAF 2018 (November 2 – 4, 2018). It’s a great time of year to visit the Nation’s Capital and I have a sneaking suspicion that next year’s show is going to be a good one.

Best of Show: GT Audio Works
full?d=1510244732.png

I’m feeling a tad impatient today, so I’m flipping the standard script and kicking things off with my favorite find at CAF 2017. Mind you, the word “best” is loaded with subjectivism and caveats, especially when it comes to sound. But for my money, GT Audio Works and its magnificent GTA3R Planar/Ribbon Speakers ($12,000/pair), which were matched with Sound Insight’s dual SI 600 Open Baffle Subwoofers ($17,000), graciously slid into home for the win.

I’ve had the pleasure of knowing GT Audio Works’ Greg Takesh for several years, first meeting him as he demoed his GTA2.5 speakers at CAF several moons ago. Take one look into the man’s eyes and you can see both audio passion and total sincerity. And take one listen to his handmade large-panel creations, and you’ll be left stunned with amazement.

Takesh’s six-foot tall GTA3R utilizes a full range planar driver (72-in x 10-in) and an accompanying ribbon tweeter (72-in x ½-in) to deliver playback from 40Hz – 30kHz with amazing efficiency (92 dB). And when paired with dual Sound Insight SI 600 open baffle subwoofers (six 12” drivers each, performance to 16Hz), the system’s articulate punch and depth is downright ridiculous.

This entire system (speakers and subs) can be purchased for $29K, making it a relative bargain when compared to its high-end competition. By my math, the speakers' supporting cast of Pass Labs pre-amps and monoblocks (not to mention Triode Wire Labs power cords, cables, and interconnects, an Esoteric K01x SACD player, an Acoustic Signature Triple X Turntable, and a Vu Jade Audio tubed DAC ) pushed the room’s total system value just south of $200K. But I wouldn’t be surprised to find that more budget oriented buyers could purchase the GTA3Rs separately and usher wickedly beautiful sound into their homes for significantly less.

The GTA3R is built to order, which means the speaker’s wood and finish are all customizable. Considering that it essentially looks like a wood framed cloth panel (high quality craftsmanship, mind you), the speaker is somewhat unremarkable in its appearance. But its sound (oh that AMAZING sound) is what you’re paying for. And let me tell you, they sound stunningly beautiful, presenting a massive and highly detailed soundstage that’s punctuated by serious depth.

And clarity? It’s all there, folks.

Clarity, balance, and natural tonality.

This speaker is, bar none, the best speaker you’ve never heard, and I challenge anyone to find another $12,000 speaker that can touch its class.

Bold words? Yes.

But my ears have fallen in love with GT Audio Work’s creations and this year’s showing at CAF was simply spectacular. Do yourself a favor: visit Greg Takesh (or his Long Island, NY dealer: Sound Insight High End Audio) for a private demo. And if you live outside the New York area, read his website’s offer for guests that need to fly to his location (it takes the notion of rolling out the red carpet to an entirely new level).

Stunning Build Quality: Daedalus Audio
full?d=1510245101.png

Colorado’s Daedalus Audio arrived at CAF with a speaker making its world debut: the Apollo 11. If you’re not familiar with Daedalus, then hit the web and let your eyes feast on the company’s gorgeous designs. Lou Hinkley (owner) is a seriously talented man that takes tremendous pride in his speakers, and it shows. His solid hardwood cabinet creations are pure works of art, loaded with fine details that catch the eye. And the amount of labor required to make them is endlessly extensive (about 100 hours according to Hinkley)

The new Apollo 11 ($22,800/pair) looks strikingly similar to Daedalus’ Poseidon model, with dual offset tweeters stacked between 5-in midrange drivers. The low end, however, is handled by a new single 10-in woofer that delivers seductively tight and fast bass. The cabinet is full of asymmetry to combat standing waves (in fact, the entirety of the cabinet only has one right angle, which can be found on the speaker’s rear top right corner). And, internally, Daedalus has developed a sealed chamber to house the Apollo 11’s crossover network, eliminating contamination from air movement and EMI.

As I spent time drooling over the 110-pound cabinet’s gorgeous inlays and dovetail corners, Hinkley gushed about its performance capabilities. And the resulting listening session was a ton of fun. Detail. Detail. Detail. That’s where the Apollo 11’s sonically excelled, from the top-end right down through regions of bass, the speaker was incredibly articulate and smooth. And, as promised, it possessed bass capabilities that brought out the gentlest of sounds.

The Apollo 11 is a statement piece of equipment that literally wows your eyes as much as it wows your ears. I can certainly imagine proudly displaying them in my home. Hats off to Daedalus for another stunning audio creation.

The Cool Room: Zu Audio
full?d=1510244732.png

Most rooms at high-end audio events tend to lean toward a more traditional appeal, matching stately looking equipment on specialized racks with plants and music that can (at times) lack in the fun department. Then there’s Zu Audio, a brand that’s not afraid to make a mod – if not somewhat eerily dark – statement that screams individuality.

Let’s start with the company’s room door, which was blazoned with a haphazardly pieced together “Zu Audio,” spelled using pieces of black tape. Certainly bold, certainly fun, and definitely unusual. And upon entering the room, my inner comfort level hit Zen-like levels as I soaked up Zu’s daringly unique non-conforming vibe. The entire space was shroud in black curtaining. Two sets of speakers were on one end (framing a 2001 Space Odyssey monolith-esque image positioned above amps situated on a nondescript table), interesting seating was in the middle, and an expansive DJ station (manned by founder, Sean Casey) stretched along a far wall.

As a playfully dark tuned rhythmically pounded through Zu’s Druid Mk. VI speakers ($10,000/pair), I couldn’t help but completely embrace the setting’s confidence and radically different nature.

And the sound? Fantastic!

The Druid Mk. VI is Zu’s latest offering, sporting a 10” full range driver that’s “augmented” by a specialized tweeter assembly. Wow, the Druid really can sing, punctuated by tight and articulate bass and super smooth highs. They were easy on the ears and imaged incredibly well.

It was tough to leave this room and I look forward to my next opportunity to hear Zu’s speakers in action. Zu Audio, if you’re listening, how about a review?

Radical Design: German Physiks
full?d=1510245220.png

One of the more eye-catching speaker designs at CAF was German Physiks’ Borderland MK IV ($36,500/pair), which was featured in the Merrill Audio room. Utilizing a cone shaped DDD diver (capable of operating from 200Hz to 24kKHz) and a single down firing 12” woofer, the Borderland is an atypical looking speaker that delivers majestic omnidirectional sound.

One of German Physiks’ claims is that the Boderland’s DDD driver delivers a stereo image well outside of a typical sweet spot, which my ears quickly confirmed to be the case. The speaker’s sound is uber clean and incredibly natural. Bass was balanced and bold.

The company also claims the Borderland can deliver exacting imaging for listeners sitting dead-center (something the demo room’s rep proudly proclaimed several times). That’s where I slightly disagree, as I felt the soundstage could have been tighter and more defined. Perhaps it was my own positioning (or the room), but that slightly minor negative comment is a small knock on an incredible sounding speaker.

Crown Jewel: VAC/Von Schweikert Audio
full?d=1510244732.png

The biggest and boldest (not to mention the most seductively appealing) room of the show also housed the most expensive gathering of equipment. Sponsored by Georgia’s The Audio Company, an insane system featuring a luscious array of VAC amps (costing $120,000/pair) and Von Schweikert Audio’s Ultra 11 loudspeaker ($295,000/pair) sat in the hotel’s “Potomac Room” just outside the marketplace atrium. Fittingly, the Potomac room has a showroom-like entrance, complete with a giant wall of glass and glass doors. It proved to be the perfect entryway to a dazzling experience.

This was a system for the ages, only capable of being classified as total and complete unobtanium. As I tweeted upon exiting the room: “Wow, teardrops of audio goodness straight from the heavens above. Quite an experience.” And there’s really little more that needs to be said. To keep things in perspective, digest the fact that each Ultra 11 speaker weighs nearly 900 pounds and stands some 7.5-feet tall. Absolutely amazing.

As I sat in the center of the second row of seating, my ears were blanketed by the enchanting sounds of Dead Can Dance’s “Yulunga (Spirit Dance).” I’ll spare you my description, as words can’t quite adequately describe the vast beauty of sound I heard. Near perfection? Pretty much.

The Wrap
There were loads of mentionable rooms at Capital Audiofest. It actually pains me not to highlight another stunning system by Classic Audio Loudspeakers (a yearly favorite of mine), the smooth sounds of TAD’s well-known Evolution One, or the insane 3D imaging produced by Bob Carver’s line array masterpiece. If you have a moment, checkout the walkthrough/featured systems video below. It has video taken from some of the rooms discussed above, and (hopefully) helps to convey some of the show’s flavor.

The official CAF website is currently hosting a countdown to next year’s show. 358 days, 12 hours, 21 minutes, and 7 seconds are on the clock as I wrap this report up. Not to wish the days away, but I look forward to experiencing CAF’s new growth in 2018!

Last edited:

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
Preamp, Processor or Receiver
NAD T-777
Universal / Blu-ray / CD Player
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Other Speakers or Equipment
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
Wow, very nice report and video's. Thanks for sharing. :)

Too bad, everything there is a bit over my price range.. lol. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Emotiva XPA Gen3 2.8 multichannel amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Kaleidescape TERRA, OPPO UDP-203, Panasonic UB9000
Front Speakers
GoldenEar Technology Triton One.R
Center Channel Speaker
GoldenEar Technology SuperCenter Reference
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Front, Top Mid-Front)
Rear Height Speakers
SVS Prime Elevation x4 (Top Middle, Top Rear)
Subwoofers
dual SVS SB16s + dual PSA XS30s
Behringer 1124p; Aura Bass Shaker Pros; SuperSub X
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Seymour Screen Excellence, Enlightor NEO AT Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Qobuz, TIDAL, Spotify, ROON
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
There were some really nice systems falling in the more affordable range... take the Quads featured in the video. They sounded super nice... and at $5K/pair, they were some of the least expensive speakers at the event.

tripplej

AV Addict
More  
NAD T-777
Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player
Front Speakers
7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers
Subwoofers
2 Paradigm SE Subs
Nintendo Wii U Gaming Console
Video Display Device
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV
Remote Control
Universal Remote MX-450
Streaming Subscriptions
Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge
"affordable" range is subjective. lol.

Great job on the write up.. :)

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
LG Electronics 65-inch B6 OLED, Sony 65-inch X900F, ZeroSurge 8R15W x 2, ZeroSurge 2R15W x 2
Ha. So true. When you walk out of a room with $80K in gear and into a room with $12K in gear, $12K starts sound pretty reasonable! ;-)

Sedwards

On the GTA3R's, your statement "that more budget oriented buyers could purchase the GTA3Rs separately and usher wickedly beautiful sound into their homes for significantly less" is exactly right. I have a pair of Greg's wonderful GTA3R's with a pair of smaller subs instead of the massive open baffle towers and I'm in audio heaven. Using Carver monoblocks, Emotive Sira preamp and Acoustic Zen cabling throughout and thoroughly enjoying a broad spectrum of musical genres from both vinyl and digital sources. These speakers are the most versatile I've ever had or heard, handling classic rock, blues, classical, singer songwriter - virtually everything I throw at it - with outstanding results. Great job, Greg! Well deserved!

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
On the GTA3R's, your statement "that more budget oriented buyers could purchase the GTA3Rs separately and usher wickedly beautiful sound into their homes for significantly less" is exactly right. I have a pair of Greg's wonderful GTA3R's with a pair of smaller subs instead of the massive open baffle towers and I'm in audio heaven. Using Carver monoblocks, Emotive Sira preamp and Acoustic Zen cabling throughout and thoroughly enjoying a broad spectrum of musical genres from both vinyl and digital sources. These speakers are the most versatile I've ever had or heard, handling classic rock, blues, classical, singer songwriter - virtually everything I throw at it - with outstanding results. Great job, Greg! Well deserved!

Thanks for chiming in!

I have to say, I'm exceedingly jealous that you have a pair of GTA3Rs! And thanks for helping to confirm my suspicion. Not surprising at all (and great to have a real world example).

Curious, how do you have them set up? Big room? Small room? Close to walls?

Sedwards

Curious, how do you have them set up? Big room? Small room? Close to walls?

Thanks, Todd. My listening room is about 15 by 24, so not huge. The speakers are about 3 feet off the rear wall and about 27 inches from side wall to center. They're toed in. They really do sound great, as you've heard at the show yourself. I'm in the NY Metro area - interested locals are welcome to come by and give a listen!

Last edited:

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
@Sedwards That's a decent sized space... and you've given them some good breathing room. :T

Yeah - the height of sound. The depth of soundstage. The razor-sharp clarity. The GTA3Rs are all-around awesome speakers.

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Looks like you found some really nice rooms Todd... wish I could have been there. I am already having withdrawals since Axpona. I am not sure if I can wait until RMAF next year to go to another show again.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Looks like you found some really nice rooms Todd... wish I could have been there. I am already having withdrawals since Axpona. I am not sure if I can wait until RMAF next year to go to another show again.

So Sonnie does that mean you won't be making it out to AXPONA this year?

Sonnie

Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP Elite 24 MK3 Processor
Main Amp
McIntosh MC1.25KW Monoblock Amps
Additional Amp
StormAudio PA 16 MK3
Computer Audio
Intel NUC w/ Roon ROCK
Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Player (for media discs)
Front Speakers
RTJ 410
Center Channel Speaker
MartinLogan Focus C-18
Front Wide Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT
Surround Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Surround Back Speakers
JTR Neosis 210RT
Front Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Rear Height Speakers
JTR Neosis 110HT-SL
Subwoofers
JTR Captivator 2400 x6
VTI Amp Stands for the Monoblocks
Video Display Device
Sony 98X90L
Remote Control
Universal MX-890
Streaming Equipment
FireCube for movies and Lenova Carbon X1 for Roon
Streaming Subscriptions
Lifetime Roon Subscription
Tidal
qobuz
Netflix
Amazon Prime
Satellite System
Dish Joey 4K
Other Equipment
Zero Surge 8R15W-1 | Salamander Synergy Equipment Stand
Probably not this coming year. We will likely do another speaker evaluation and hold off and try to make RMAF instead, since we skipped it this year.

Matthew J Poes

AV Addict
Probably not this coming year. We will likely do another speaker evaluation and hold off and try to make RMAF instead, since we skipped it this year.

Alright sounds good. I'll be there this year, possibly with a room.

doug s.

Registered
hi all! i found this site looking for photo's from the caf. (excellent pics, btw - thanks! :T) and then, when i saw the "best of show" post, well i just had to join, to respond!

i find it interesting; many folks hear differently, and it's certainly on display in this thread. not only did i not find the gt audio room the best of show, i didn't like the sound in the room at all. and, i tried - i heard it first on friday, and went back on sunday, when i was told that problems initially encountered were fixed. i was wanting to like it, but i just didn't. "clarity"? i certainly didn't hear it. it sounded sort of conjested, actually. and, it may as well have been mono; not much in the way of imaging and soundstaging. i thought the sound in the room next door, with the german physiks speakers killed the sound in this room. other speakers that i really liked - and were quite a bit better than what i heard in the gt audio room - included the tad evolution one floorstanders, the pure audio project's in the vpi room, the intro-level rethm bhaava's, the tekton double impacts, the volti rivals, the daedalus apollo 11's, to name a few.

and the sound in the huge room w/the $300k von schweikerts? well, it sounded ok, but it sounded more like a stereo than real music, compared to the other speakers i mentioned that i liked.

so, as always - use your own ears, and ymmv.

doug s.

Todd Anderson

Editor / Senior Admin
Staff member
More  
StormAudio ISP.24 MK2
Main Amp
Emotiva XPA-5
Additional Amp
Other Amp
Denon X8500H
Computer Audio
AudioEngine A2+
DAC
THX ONYX
Front Speakers
Center Channel Speaker
Surround Speakers
SVS Ultra Surround
Surround Back Speakers
SVS Ultra Bookshelf
Front Height Speakers
Rear Height Speakers
Subwoofers
Video Display Device
JVC NX7
Screen
Streaming Equipment
iFi Audio Zen Blue
Streaming Subscriptions
Other Equipment
Hey @doug s. Thanks for the comments... glad you found the site!

I certainly respect your opinions and what your ears told you... and you make a great point: "many folks hear differently." I guess that's why there are multitudes of speaker companies with products across price classes! :T

My ears certainly felt differently about GT Audio. Perhaps it was seating position? The particular music being played? Humidity? (I jest of course)... but, obviously, some variables were different OR it truly is a case of different strokes/different folks!

doug s.

Registered
Hey @doug s. Thanks for the comments... glad you found the site!

I certainly respect your opinions and what your ears told you... and you make a great point: "many folks hear differently." I guess that's why there are multitudes of speaker companies with products across price classes! :T

My ears certainly felt differently about GT Audio. Perhaps it was seating position? The particular music being played? Humidity? (I jest of course)... but, obviously, some variables were different OR it truly is a case of different strokes/different folks!
i suspect it's just a case of different strokes/different folks. i've never been a fan of planar speakers; they've never sounded natural to me. i always thought maybe it was their dipolar nature, but i thought the dipolar pure audio project speakers sounded fantastic. re: the music being played, most rooms were very gracious in allowing me to play the cd's and vinyl i brought with me - the gt audio room included - so i know that wasn't it. and i got my choice of seating. but, it's certainly interesting reading about other folk's takes on different systems.

doug s.

Top Bottom