Can REW generate convolution WAV files?

tony22

Registered
I've done text files from EQ, but I can't figure out if there's a way to generate a convo WAV file.

JStewart

Senior AV Addict
Supporter
I've done text files from EQ, but I can't figure out if there's a way to generate a convo WAV file.
There sure is

He has many more in depth videos on his channel related to this same topic. Everything in this one is still valid though.

The author is a forum member, @serko70

Have fun.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
For the filters response of the currently selected measurement File - Export filters impulse response as WAV.

moedra

Inversion is one way to do it. It's simple enough, but I am finding that I am more impressed with the sound through filters made with the EQ tools. They are both effective, though. Perhaps it is the way that the filters are exported. I need to get confirmation from John on what is happening, but basically this is what I have been doing for quick filter creation:

• I use the Generic Extended equalizer to create my filter set.
• From the filter tasks panel, I select Generate measurement from filters.
• Once both channels have been assigned filters and I have both sets in REW as new measurements, I export them using File > Export impulse response as WAV, selecting stereo IR and assigning the filters to their associated channels.

Yes, I could simply export the filters' impulse responses from the filter data without turning them into measurements. However, doing it the way I have outlined here allows you to export a minimum phase version of the IR, which always sounds better to my ears than exporting as measured. If you export the filters impulse response as WAV, you do not get the option of exporting a minphase version.

moedra

The filters impulse response is inherently minimum phase.
Ah ok, so then why does exporting a minphase version sound tighter and more focused than exporting "as measured"? My "as measured" filters sound, eh... loose I guess is how I'd describe it compared to minphase. Minphase versions always sound better to me. Transients and imaging detail are better defined. Why is that?

John Mulcahy

REW Author
The generation of a minimum phase IR from an existing IR is a mathematical process affected by window choices and the various options found in the "Generate minimum phase" dialog. How different the result is to the actual minimum phase response would depend on the particular filters and the dialog choices. The filters IR is exactly minimum phase. Your subjective impressions of responses are your own.

Top Bottom