Can macbook pro integrated mic be used to measure?

tvazquez

Registered
Hello everybody, I'm new to this forum, I'm a rookie at REW and also in audio stuff, I like listening music and wood working, reason why I just finished a subwoofer in a closed enclosure that I need to measure to adjust a minidsp active filter... the rest of my components are : SMSL AD18 amp + a pair of Fostex FE167E in 2 bass reflex boxes I did... I know beeing a dumm I should have buy something from the market, but...
I searched around in this forum and googled also but could find a firm answer to my question : can I use the built in microphone of my mackbook pro to perform the measures, I'd like to avoid buying a usb mic jus for one usage. Thanks in advance for your answers.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
No, results will be awful. Analog mics are cheaper, but you need an audio interface with a balanced input. You might be able to use a Dayton Audio iMM-6 if there is a suitable TRRS connector on the macbook.

DanDan

Staff member
I would recommend you try it. Mac built in audio has traditionally been all quite good. The little electret capsules used in Mac, iPads, iPhones, are probably of the same order of quality as the caps in the 100 buck measurement mics. Perhaps. I often use the built in Mic in an old iMac for measurements that are not demanding. Presuming your measurement is not absolute, and presuming your MacBook does not have a permanent vicious HPF engaged, it may well be possible to do what you require. Again, try it, if there is a problem, e.g. no LF response, it will be obvious.

That said, a USB mic with a Cal File will always be useful for electroacoustic measurements. Furthermore with a computer and REW it becomes a very affordable and very competent Sound Level Meter.

Last edited:

tvazquez

Registered
You are right, I will give it a try before using something else.
Have a good day.
Thierry.

Top Bottom