call me stupid, cant get REW inputs to work

fatoldgit

Registered
Using REW on Win 7

I have a steinberh UR21 USB mic amp connected into a Dayton Audio EMM-6 as my INPUT device and the USB input on my DAC as the OUTPUT device in the "soundcard" section in preferences.

I have loaded the mic cal file from Dayton Audio in the "mic/meter" section in preferences

All drivers for the mic and dac are loaded and visible to win 7.

When I got to measure and do a level check, I get the test sweep playing fine, the "ref in" meter shows its getting sound via the mic but the "in" level shows zip and REW says the level is too low.

If I yell into the mic while in the measure tab (but not doing anything else), I see the "ref in" meter register a high SPL level so I know the mic is working.

I have buggered around for a while but cant get any joy...such as selecting specific output/inputs as "LINE_IN" and "SPEAKER"... also fiddled with win 7 volume levels

Would appreciate someone pointing out the error of my ways.

Images of my setup and testing are below

Thanks,

Peter

c1.jpg

c2.PNG

c3.PNG

Last edited:

fatoldgit

Registered
well... got it working.

Might/must be a bug... I had to hard select the RIGHT as the default input on the measure screen rather than let REW use "default" (even though the default selection indicates the right channel is selected)

So I shagged around and wasted four hours of my life on this.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Java inputs are generally stereo pairs, though may be mono if the device is mono. It is better to select a physical named input and output than leave the selection as default, since only the named selections provide access to channel information.

Bernard

well... got it working.

Might/must be a bug... I had to hard select the RIGHT as the default input on the measure screen rather than let REW use "default" (even though the default selection indicates the right channel is selected)

So I shagged around and wasted four hours of my life on this.
What's four hours compared to eternity?
The sweep length is too short: the duration must be or more than 10 seconds compared to your 2.7 seconds.

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Longer sweeps are only necessary for impedance measurements of drivers, fine to use short sweeps for acoustic measurements.

Top Bottom