Calibration file dropping measurements to 0dB

senyorc

Registered
Hi there!

This is my first post on the forum so my first need to be of gratitude for the information shared here! Thankyou!

Now, if I may, I have a bit of a confusion and I have tried searching for answers but haven't been able to find an answer (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I have failed to find it!).

For some reason, when I add a soundcard calibration file to a measurement, this drops the measurement on the graph down to just above the 0dB mark.

My (headphone) measurements are around 80dB average and the calibration file just increases the subbass by around 3dB for it to match the measurements of other rigs.

Up until a few days ago, this worked fine, the calibration file just added the necessary subbass, however, now when I add it, the whole measurement drops to the bottom of the graph, with the lowest reading being at 0dB.

I am running the latest version of REW and I haven't done any updates between this not happening and suddenly becoming an issue.

I am pretty certain it is user error but I am not doing anything different (as far as I know), so could someone please point out where to look for my error?

Thanks in advance for any input!

John Mulcahy

REW Author
Sounds like the cal file entries are not centred around zero dB. When the REW soundcard cal process is used the response is shifted to be zero dB at 1 kHz. If you saved a normal measurement as a cal file that may not be the case.

senyorc

Registered
Thank you very much for your reply @John Mulcahy, your reply triggered a chain of thought...

Somehow I had managed to rename a different measurement as a calibration file, therefore it was obviously making things go wrong!

As they say, 95% of errors are located between the keyboard and the chair :)

Thanks again, not just for your answer but for the amazing software that REW is!

Top Bottom